TKR Pain after 3 months

I had soreness/aching in the back of my knee for several months. I worried something was wrong at first, but it did go away.

@Pamsytam I have had a clicking since day 2 of my surgery initially I thought that my surgeon had misaligned my knee until my mind was put to rest by the Bonesmarties, the clicking is more prominent in some movement but with time it has lessened ( or maybe I'm not concentrating so much on it) fast forward to 6 months like you one day out of the blue I stood up from the sofa a sharp pain on the outer side ( numb area) left me literally crippled in pain and I was unable to bear any weight on it, I cut back on all activity, iced for several days and took iberbrufen it eventually disappeared to this date I have no idea what I did. I'm now 7 months post surgery clicking is still present but I just try to concentrate on other things after a while I hardly notice it hopefully one day it will go altogether, so don't fret too much about it unless it starts to give you grief in which case talk to your doctor x

The left side of my knee is numb but is now prickling and stinging. I have rested for a week but am now too nervous to overdo anything and get pain again. Clicking seems to be worse. Sarah your pain sounds the same as mine. Mine just started going upstairs. It's much better now but gets really warm so icing a lot.

Likewise, left side numb but get what the bonesmarties call ' zingers' , sharp shooty pains lasting seconds bur getting a lot. It s a sign that nerves etc are get activated or attaching again they told me. Hopefully urs is the same.

My physio said she never worried about any pains at the back of the knee because it's all soft tissue and will repair itself with time and care.
One of my large tendons still gives me a bit of a jolt if I overstretch it, but it is SLOWLY getting better after 9 months, but I'm patient.

This is just a thought------but pain in the outside of the knee like you've described is commonly be IT Band pain. I'd look up IT Band Syndrome and see if it sounds similar to what you're experiencing. I've had it following 4-5 other knee surgeries when I got back to most of my usual activities. It is a VERY common recovery-period problem.

As for why it occurs, this area can get super tight post-op because we tend to do more sitting than usual. Once you add activity/exercise back in, the IT Band isn't as stretched as it used to be and can rub on the outside of the knee....that irritation builds into super painful burning/rubbing that can be excruciating. My husband didn't believe me until he experienced it himself TWICE!! Now he's a believer. We both now stretch our IT Bands all of the time because we know we're prone to having issues with it. Mine even pulled my kneecap off to the side once because it was SO tight.

Yes Rickgirl I have a twanging on the outside of knee and I can feel something moving every time I move my leg. It also feels stiff there. Happened straight after operation
Could b IT band.

After a few days rest y knee was better. A few days later i built up to walking 2 miles. My knee hurts again. I hope this is not going to happen every time I exercise.

It sounds like your knee is not ready yet for a 2 mile walk. Mine certainly wasn’t at 4 months post op.

Indulge your knee with the time it needs to recover and you’ll be able to do those walks in the future. But if you rush it, your knee will rebel.

I have stuck to a maximum of 1 mile. If I go over my knee hurts so i was overdoing it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks