Hip Arthroscopy Pain 12 weeks post op

swinging my leg out to the side 20 times , stretching it back behind me whilst standing 20 times, raising me knee up 20 times and also riasing up behind me 20 times, all standing, twice per day!
Well this explains everything. Way too much and all this is totally unnecessary. You are not in training, you are healing. Give that poor hip a break and just do your walking at a gentle pace. If you are back to activities of daily living that is more than enough exercise.

Im eleven weeks post op, am almost back to normal, apart from sitting which is very uncomfortable and not sure why! Scar also still a bit sore on outside of left thigh!

I'm almost 14 weeks post OP, and sitting irritates me a bit as well. The pain is not intense for me, but it can be annoying. I'm hoping it's just one of those things that resolves with time.

I got numb spots on my thigh for both hips. At seven years, the right one is thinking about getting smaller. At three years, the left has been having a growth spurt, and I also seem to have developed something that matches the symptoms of meralgia paresthetica over the years, and more quickly over the past winter. Since loosening your clothing is supposedly one of the ways to relieve it, I'm going to guess that spending the winter days in mild compression tights did it. Too bad I need them! Anothe possible cause is, anterior THR. Ah well!

Thank you everyone, i have stopped the intense exercises and am just doing light things around the house and gentle walking x hopefully things will start to feel easier and less pain x

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope in dropping the exercises and engaging in the normal activities of daily living along with some measured walking brings you speedy relief. Please stay in touch sharing any progress. We’d love to hear you’re improving.
A wonderful week to you!
@Lindylou30

Hi Everyone, hope you are all doing well x I am now 14 Weeks post op, and was wondering if stiffness and tingling down the leg and into the foot is normal? Also why does a total hip replacement affect the whole leg? am finally having my post op chk in two weeks, becausenof the virus the Surgeon has only been doing telephone appts. He has decided to give me an x ray and scan just to check things are ok, which i am pleased about as i have Osteoporosis, but this op has seems to have helped my poorly back!

@Lindylou30 hi! Good to hear from you. The stiffness is absolutely normal; I had stiffness for many months. The tingling perhaps is nerves waking up? I don't know.

If you knew what they did to you during your op, you wouldn't be surprised that your whole leg is affected! One witty member here likens it to being hit by a car while under anaesthesia. Your hip was assaulted, and since you were out like a light, somebody's got to hold onto your leg. I had fingerprint bruises on the op leg after both hips. And then after the parts are in place they throw your leg around some, to make sure everything's just so. It would not be surprising to hurt all over!

Glad you're getting an xray soon-- we all like that reassurance. And VERY glad your back feels better-- sometimes we get lucky like that :yes:

@Lindylou30
I am prone to nerve pain after big surgeries. If that tingling sensation of the nerves regenerating (in my case tingling is accompanied by a horrid burning sensation like a flamethrower under the skin) gets bad enough to drive you crazy or interfere with sleep, ask your doctor whether gabapentin may be helpful.

You know how bad your hip was when getting it fixed helps your back! Lol. That happened to me as well. Yes, lots of bone carpentry and manipulation makes the leg very sore. The swelling of the leg in response doesn’t help either. It just takes the time it takes to heal for each person. I think it will help alleviate a lot of anxiety when you actually get an X-ray and talk to the OS to see how you’re progressing. Hang in there. Healing blessings coming your way!

Hello Lindylou,
It can take a full year for recovery, even longer for some. When you consider that your poor leg withstood a controlled trauma and remember power tools were used :wink: it’s no wonder we‘re sore, swollen, stiff and tingly for quite some time afterward. Plus...it’s all connected, recall the old song from childhood about the knee bone’s connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone’s connected to the hip bone etc.

Your body is adjusting to changes made through your joint replacement. If there was a change in your leg length that could also be contributing as everything is settling into place and healing. I’m sure you’ll receive reassurance from your surgeon in two weeks at your post op. Please let us know how it goes and until then, all the best to you!
@Lindylou30

Hi Everyone,
i am 15 weeks Post Op now and finally had my post op check yesterday! Scan and X Rays were done then the Surgeon called me through for results. He said my replacement looks to be 100% successful but i am having severe tingling tightness and numbness in my buttock and foot, he explained how the Sciatic Nerve lies right next to the hip so some stretching during surgery can sometimes be unavaoidable, in my case this is what has happened and it affect L5 which supplys the nerve to the buttock and foot, he said it should settle but can take up to 18 months, but in the meantime has given me stretching excercises to perform on a daily basis and also to speak to my Chiropractor about the problem as he can also give me things to do that will help! He is ringing me in a month to see how things are going and said he wont be discharging me until we are both happy with things. He is a lovely man and so easy to speak to, he actually gave me his mobile number to use in cass things worsened!

Hello and Happy Tuesday @Lindylou30
It sounds like your recovery is progressing nicely. I’m sorry you’re plagued by the sciatic nerve issue and hope it heals quickly for you. Fingers crossed the exercises your surgeon provided along with any insight and ideas from your Chiropractor and you’ll be pain free soon. Stay in touch, we’d love to continue following your journey. :SUNsmile:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying the Summer.
Be safe and stay well. :SUNsmile:
@Lindylou30

Four months post op and you wouldn't think that too much walking and exercising yesterday would cause this much discomfort the next day !!!
Oh, but this recovery can take up the a year or more. You hip is telling you that it is not ready for all that exercise. Try slowly building up to increased activity.

Does anyone know anything about IT Band syndrome after hip replacement? I seem to have developed it, seeing my surgeon next Tuesday, so hopefully will get some answers and treatment. Its so painful to walk!

So Sorry you are hurting.
Glad you are seeing your surgeon so you can get a firm diagnosis. Here is an article from our library regarding ITB

Thank you so much for the information, really appreciate it x

Wishing you comfort as you wait for your appointment next Tuesday.
Hopefully you find relief soon. Please let us know how the visit with your surgeon goes.
Best of luck!
@Lindylou30

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties