BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Page 241 hip replacements

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cecropia, May 12, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia member

United States United States
    Wanted to read some of the old hip replacement posts for fun and ended up really interesting. I spent a long time working my way backwards and the best part was enjoying a lot of the replies from Josephine as she was quite available for discussion at that time. I think it went back like 11 years, it was interesting to read the posts back then, how they differed from now somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Icespirit5

Icespirit5 junior member

Neat! What were some of the differences you noticed?

3. Cecropia

Cecropia member

The posts were a lot shorter as only a few comments and then it stopped. Now people tend to stay around longer with their threads. Josephine was younger and it appeared she was a regular moderator then and so was in the threads a lot giving advice and wrote longer posts. I understand why she does not now as she has earned her retirement and is around for specific help still. A lot of the posts were upbeat and positive, but that could be because they did not stay around long in post OP. I did like one thing Josephine posted, as she stated to one lady who posted a very good progress report and Josephine thanked her for taking the time to come back, as the ones who are doing good seem to not come in and tell about it because they have gone on with their life. Now our members take us on a longer journey to see how they are doing....which is nice. I didn't notice as many people having infections, but I think the bone smart is very well known now and so there will be the good and the not so good, but they also need comfort and advice, which is found here. As the forums popularity grows it will be more likely to have some problems with hip replacement from members.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

In the early days of the forum, people had multiple recovery threads. We had lots of short threads, because people would start a new thread every time they had something new to say.

The forum had a lot less traffic then, so it was easy to keep track of everyone and their history. These days, the forum is so busy that it would be confusing for people to have a bunch of recovery threads.

There used to be a lot of cross-over between the hip and knee areas of the forum. That was fun, but it's fun having a larger, more active forum too.

I would encourage you to look at how many people came to Bonesmart, stuck around a few months, and then disappeared forever. I think that says something really positive about the long-term success of joint replacement surgery. If they were having trouble, we'd hear about it, don't you think?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm still available for discussion! Last month I worked 90+ hours! It's just back in 2011 we had probably about 5,000 members. Now we are close to 29,500. Much as I'd love to, can't chat with all of you - I'd never get any bed! However, I've never retired from BoneSmart and never will. It's my baby!

But that's very, very kind of you to give me such a nice report!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Oh, also a daughter's mother in her 70s had hip restrictions and her daughter wanted to know if they were life long. Josephine said LOL, no and that she had friends after hip replacement who rode motorbikes I believe, rockclimbing, and other things, marathon but did not think her mother would want to run a marathon. I just really enjoyed the read, sorry if I did not exactly quote Josephine's exact wording but close. It inspired me and gave me hope with her helpful comments.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Josephine, you are special!!!! We want you to get your rest, you deserve it and are always around when needed.:SUNsmile:

8. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

There is still a lot to be learned from those older posts.

I found Bonesmart when I was 4 weeks post op, but I didn’t sign up as a member until I was almost 6 months. But I read posts every day from the time I found it.

I would google a question and then add “post op TKR Bonesmart” and google
    would bring me to the appropriate threads, many of which were from years ago, but I got my answers.

By the time I signed up I felt I already knew many of the members.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Love that you went back and researched @Cecropia What a journey to be sure. I am so grateful for this community and most especially the moderators. 29,500!! That’s incredible. What a baby @Josephine ❤️

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Alexthecat, I found a post back in 2011 I believe where you had an oxinium implant which is what I'm getting. You were backpacking, rollerblading, skiing, dancing, biking and headed for a mountain biking trip. Wow!!! I assume things are still going great for you..? I wont be doing all those things, but was excited to find that post by you. Well I dont have much to do, so I'm constantly looking around in the old forums, just happened to see it.:goodpost:

11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I had my LTHR just after alex had her THR. She was my inspiration during recovery.

And I don't think I will ever forget my first post from Josephine. I was in tears and so very afraid. Her kindness was what I needed to get the surgery and put it behind me. Wow - what a journey we have all taken!

• Like Like x 5
  12. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Cecropia :wave:
    @alexthecat may not catch your question without the tag, so I tagged her for you.
    Sounds like you're having fun digging through the dusty annals of BoneSmart :heehee:
    I need to do that sometime, myself.
    Enjoy and have a great week!

13. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Thanks Layla. I never yet figured out how to do the tag thing....I need to work on that, read the directions again.:SUNsmile:

14. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

That mountain biking trip to Colorado inspired me to take early retirement from my job on the west coast and move back to the mountains. I did that about a year and a half ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I found a job here, so I do work, but I get to play a lot too.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

16. Cecropia

Cecropia member

@Josephine Thanks, I am using it now and it seems to be working....