TKR Overwhelmed

capecoral

Country
United States United States
I was scheduled to get RTKR in may It was cancelled due to Corona The process was started I had all the necessary stuff ( walker shower chair toilet seat riser etc) I was ready Now I am scheduled for July 9 I went for Pre op doctors appointment So many questions and instructions It's all so overwhelming I just want to be done with it Wish I could fast forward And now I there is a crimp that might delay it When questioned about allergies I mentioned that I broke out from jewelry So now I have to go to an allergist Can't get an appointment till 1 week from now and then it's only a consultation Then I have to wait a week or 2 before I get tests and then it will take another 2 or 3 weeks for results I only have 24 days till surgery so I don't know if it will happen
Has anyone else had a metal allergy and what happened ? I'm just so frustrated It took me years to work up courage to do this
Sorry I'm just venting Any advise will be helpful

@capecoral Someone with more knowledge than I will be around to answer you questions. From what I have seen on this board. Be glad your Doctor is being cautious and checking for a metal allergy! You would not want something implanted into you body, that your body is constantly trying to reject.

@capecoral
Sorry you are facing further testing for a metal allergy, it is frustrating but is for the best.
A metal allergy can make you miserable after joint replacement, and usually requires a revision.
A little wait is well worth your time, short term pain for long term gain.

Here is a link to information about metal allergy testing, the allergist or even your OS can order the tests.
This lab is Colorado Springs does tests for many allergens and allergic reactions.
http://www.ccrlab.com/contact.html

This lab in Chicago has more of a metal allergy focus.
https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/metal-sensitivityj

Sorry you are having a delay, I don't know much about metal allergies but I think it's very good you mentioned it to your dr. Surgery with a replacement with a metal allergy would not be fun, and cause you more problems in the long run. I know you are ready to get over the hump and be on the recovery side but this will make it much easier in the long run.

i can totally relate, but I look at it as it’s meant to be. I wasn’t cleared my first time due to low kidney function, so i was disappointed but yet grateful for the finding. Then the virus. I’m now cleared and 4 days out. Very anxious but hopeful. All things will work out for you, just trust that. Keep busy if you can to pass the time.

The waiting is tough. Sorry your "countdown" was interrupted. But good that your doc is on top of things.

I will say that I hadn't been able to wear earrings for years before I got my tkrs due to reacting to them but I've had no problems with either implant. Just had my 9 year anniversary on #1.

These days there are various choices of implants/materials, so depending on how your test comes out and what your OS says you should still find something that will work out well.

Saw the allergist yesterday I start testing next week Testing lasts 1 week I won't get results till July 6 He is almost sure I'm allergic to nickel Surgery is scheduled for July 9 I just have to wait and see if it happens

I hope the tests come back negative. :fingersx:

The good news is that it shouldn't affect whether or not you have a knee replacement, it'll just clarify which make they can use and make it a success. Now that's a bit of good positive news when it's all done.
Getting it wrong doesn't bear thinking about.

Went to allergist I am allergic to nickel He has to do a few more tests Monday to see if I'm allergic to any other metals Tuesday my primary doctor to get cleared for surgery Wednesday I go to hospital for more test EKG blood test chest ex ray and nose swab for mersis No covid test Everything moving along Getting nervous Wish it was over with

I wonder if they will do it closer to the day? You could be fine now and have an exposure later...

In the UK the test must be done from 48 to 72 hours before admission. I wonder if all states have different protocols?

We are currently a hotspot and they are considering stopping elective surgeries again but they did not require me to test before my surgery wed. They said only if you have symptoms, I did track my temp for 2 weeks.

I’m in Ohio and had to have my mandatory COVID test 4 days before surgery. Every state may be different.

I am in North Carolina, mandatory COVID test 72 hours before surgery. I passed, no gold star, but I do get a new knee!!!!:dancy:

I don't know if my surgery will happen I talked to doctor yesterday Since new co-vid have gone up a lot in Florida elective surgery might be cancelled Doctor will know Monday if it's a go I'm scheduled for Thursday It will suck if I'm cancelled again

@capecoral Such a worrying time! Fingers crossed that things can proceed next week. But if your surgery is postponed it will be for your own safety as well as that of staff.

Please keep us updated!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member