THR Over compensating?

Eddie 1

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I had my left hip replaced 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier until recently. My unoperated right hip started hurting about 7 months ago and I’m now waiting to get that one done, however my left operated hip has now started to bother me in the last week or so. I work in construction but haven’t had anything unusual happen, I.e. trips or falls etc.. My right hip is pretty painful and causing me to limp quite a lot. I’m just hoping the pain that’s started in my left operated hip could just be from over compensating for the right? Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

@Eddie 1 Sorry hip number 2 is in the cards. We see the scenario you are describing very often. The hip opposite the pending replacement starts to complain.

If your right hip is painful you are walking all wrong trying to stay off it. It's amazing how much twisting and shifting of weight you can do and not even realise it. Can you use a cane or crutch to take some of the weight off that sore hip while you are waiting for your THR?

@Eddie 1 Sorry hip number 2 is in the cards. We see the scenario you are describing very often. The hip opposite the pending replacement starts to complain.

If your right hip is painful you are walking all wrong trying to stay off it. It's amazing how much twisting and shifting of weight you can do and not even realise it. Can you use a cane or crutch to take some of the weight off that sore hip while you are waiting for your THR?
Thanks! Unfortunately I can’t use a crutch or similar at work which is the main place I’m on my feet. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a replacement sometime soon:)

@Eddie 1 They are just now talking about reconfiguring NHS areas to open up for elective procedures. As you can imagine it's not an easy process. And this includes setting up strict protocols for insuring both staff and patients stay safe.

Hope you can hang in there. It might be awhile but they are going to make every effort to get all these patients on wait lists seen to.

Yup, the same thing happened to me. It probably is the over compensating, and you will know if you use a cane with your left hand supporting right hip. There are some pretty cool canes out there. Do you have "accommodation" employment rights there? Maybe take a look and see if your employer is required to accommodate your disability....

I see that working construction and canes or crutch are not a good mix. Can you use a cane once you are done with work? It might help a tad or at least make it a little easier on you and how you are walking. I was lucky my replaced hip did not complain when the other hip went but my knee which was also replaced sure did. Have you spoken to your primary care doctor about any type of medication or ordering you to use a cane so that work has to accommodate? I hope the UK allows elective surgeries soon once they figure out the system that will keep everyone safe.

Thanks for the replies:) I’m self employed so just have to grin and bear it! I don’t really do much walking outside of work so I don’t have much use of a cane. Hopefully surgeries will start rolling again soon here in the UK

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom