Lounge Doctor

TKR Outpatient TKR

OldGoat

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, I will be having TKR on my left knee soon (awaiting for scheduled date). Reading posts on here have been very valuable, thank you.

My surgeon stated that I will be having my TKR in the morning and going home that evening. Then gave me 2 hospital choices, which both are highly rated in this area.

Has anyone else experienced a TKR without any hospital stay? Pros, Cons, thoughts?

Citylady52

Country
I just had this at Pennsylvania hospital on Dec. 22 (part of U Penn) - I was glad to go home the same day because of Covid. I did have to arrive before 6 AM. I was a partial knee so my surgeon does those first. Came up to recovery and when the spinal wore off... I stayed in a room for a few hours until I could walk a bit with a walker. I was pleased with the experience overall. My anesthetist did a good job - was afraid of nausea and headache - they used a super small needle and put a scopalamine patch behind my ear. It worked. Good luck. We live very close to the hospital - my husband could not come in with me but they called/texted him to come after the procedure - he was allowed to be there one time only for two hours, and then he took me home.

gia2cats

Country
I just had my second TKR on December 3rd and it was outpatient. Surgery was at 10:15 am and I left the hospital at 3:15 pm. For my first TKR 2 years ago, I had a spinal and did stay one night. This time I had a general because I was told it might take a few hours to wear off and I wouldn’t be able to be discharged the same day. Both spinal and general were fine.
In the recovery room, they set up a small area in the corner with a set of steps. Also a bathroom. PT came and I demonstrated that I could get around with a walker and climb steps and use the bathroom. My husband was allowed in that area of the recovery room and my nurse reviewed the discharge instructions with him. Also, my pain meds and Lovenox were filled by the hospital pharmacy so no need to stop at a pharmacy after leaving the hospital.
I have to say it all worked out very well. Just be sure you have everything set up at home for your comfort and convenience (toilet seat riser, snacks, walker, ice and recliner). Had my surgery in Baltimore.
Good luck

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Hello @OldGoat and welcome to BoneSmart! I had all three of my joint replacements as outpatient and as long as you have the pain controlled before leaving the hospital you shouldn't have any issues. I always preferred to be in my own space, and now with Covid, the sooner you are away from the hospital the better. Please come back often and share your journey with us.

OP
OP
OldGoat

OldGoat

Country
Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of going home the same day. It also brings up the question of either a spinal block or epidural anesthesia (if given the choice). Also very good point about discharge meds so do not have to stop anywhere, I am going to check on that!

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@OldGoat you will be able to discuss anesthesia options with the anesthesiologist before your surgery. He or she will review your previous experiences with surgery, medical history, etc and come to a decision about which will work best for you.

Also be assured that IF you needed more care than just day surgery they will not boot you out :) Especially with COVID concerns and always in other circumstances too the hospital staff is professionals and have your best care always as their top priority.

Among other preparations also check your favorite shoes. If they are worn down on the soles and heels either get those replaced or get new shoes. you do not want old limping patterns to interfer with you gaining a good and better gait.

OP
OP
OldGoat

OldGoat

Country
33 days until my Left TKR (but who's counting). My pre-op meeting is scheduled for the 8th of February and my question list keeps getting longer every time I read bonesmart or another TKR book. My house is starting to look like a hospital/rehab ward with all the equipment that was provided or I bought. Feeling pretty prepared on the home front now, even practiced with the walker (pain in butt!).

Working hard at strengthening and flexibility of the legs before the big date, plus a lot of daily bike rides. Now just apprehensive but at the same time anxious to just get it done. I expect pain (ok ,maybe a lot of pain according to many posts on here), but getting in the mind set that it is only temporary.

Quite a bit of variance in how to approach PT between Bonesmart , between each book, and even each video I've researched. I am thinking I'll find that happy medium for me.

Still trying to gauge when I might get back to some basic chores like mowing the yard (riding lawnmower) and fun things like golfing. I am retired, so lucky in that I do not have to worry about the work thing.

So anyway, thanks for reading my ramble, I suppose it's a form of therapy to help me prepare.

OP
OP
OldGoat

OldGoat

Country
Time & Date set for this coming Monday, 2-22-21 at 7:15am. First up to bat that morning. Thinking about bringing some good Café Cubano for the Doc (and surgery staff) before he starts just to make sure he's awake. Will be general anesthesia along with a nerve blocker. Should be home by that afternoon.

Thank you to all that have contributed to Bonesmart as I have incorporated all of the experiences and advice into my "New Knee Plan". Hopefully I can contribute also as I start my "walk" over to the other side.

Thanks to you all! :thankyou:

bodog

Country
My thoughts are with you for Monday. I had outpatient TKR three weeks ago. All went well and I felt more comfortable being home. The first several days were the hardest for me and I am glad emotionally I was prepared for that. Staying on schedule with pain meds definitely helps along with icing and elevating your leg. You will get through it and before you know it you will also be three weeks postop.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Monday, 2-22-21 at 7:15am. First up to bat that morning.
Best slot of the day! Barring any emergency cases you will be done and dusted in time to be sitting up and having a nice lunch.

All the best! See you on the other side soon.

Mangiamom

Country
Hello everyone, I will be having TKR on my left knee soon (awaiting for scheduled date). Reading posts on here have been very valuable, thank you.

My surgeon stated that I will be having my TKR in the morning and going home that evening. Then gave me 2 hospital choices, which both are highly rated in this area.

Has anyone else experienced a TKR without any hospital stay? Pros, Cons, thoughts?
Hello OldGoat, I just had a right TKR on 2/11 and it was outpatient. My experience was very good. Surgeon started at 7:30 am and I was home in my own bed by 2:00 pm. All set up with a Game Ready cryotherapy unit as well as foot pumps. Unfortunately, I didn’t load up on the pain meds ahead of the nerve block wearing off and had a REALLY rough 12 hours. Once we finally got ahead of the pain it’s been pretty smooth sailing. Following all the Dr.’s orders, not pushing anything and progressing nicely. Some people might be more comfortable staying in the hospital for a day or two as you will need someone to take care of you. My husband was able to take care of me and it is totally reminiscent of taking care of a baby or new puppy....up every few hours, feeding, watering, making note of medication times/doses, etc. I think it’s a personal preference— my own bed, quieter, better food - I chose home.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MNVeronica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom