THR Outpatient Surgery

Ginny

How common is outpatient surgery? I am having THR end of June and the Dr. said it would be outpatient and I would go home the same day. I can't believe this?! 13 years ago I had THR and I was in the hospital for a week. Have things really changed?

Have things really changed?
Yes, they have changed a lot, if you are healthy with no complications, surgeons will plan a same day surgery.
You will be sent home once you are up and waking and can do enough stairs for your home.

Patients do very well at home in their own bed, not being awakened at random times for various tests, allows better rest and healing.

If for some reason you are not ready to go home will be be kept until the next day.

My doctor informed me my replacement this Friday would be outpatient too. If you are not comfortable with that, let him or her know. It has to be a 2 person decision - YOURS and your surgeon.

Welcome. You will find it very common. I guess yours is a simple thr with hopefully no complications. Most go home same day. I will be on the hospital two nights but, my case is a little more complicated.

Good luck. Looking forward to reading about your recovery.

Have things really changed?
Yes, they have changed a lot, if you are healthy with no complications, surgeons will plan a same day surgery.
You will be sent home once you are up and waking and can do enough stairs for your home.

Patients do very well at home in their own bed, not being awakened at random times for various tests, allows better rest and healing.

If for some reason you are not ready to go home will be be kept until the next day.
It is not everyone's preference and there is still the issue of a two person decision. Yours and your doctors. Some doctors actually ditch the financial aspect and acquiesce to the patients request.

I have several friends 60 and over, healthy that had replacement in past 6 months and everyone of them said no thank you to discharge same day. All stayed overnight. Your body, your preference and as of today, outpatient replacement is not mandatory by any insurance company.

@Ginny An added factor these days is the COVID-19 pandemic - surgeons for many kinds of surgery are wanting their patients to go home quickly to minimize the chance of picking up the dratted virus. Hospitals and staff are super cautious and take EVERY precaution to protect you and all patients ... but there is still a bit of a risk. And as other have said they won't send you home if there is any medical problem!

Will you have someone to stay with you after your surgery? While I'm sure you could manage OK on your own, it does help to have someone else around.

thank you!
Yes I have people to help, I will be having it in Birmingham AL. The doctor said I should stay the night in a hotel and drive back to Florida the next day. I am still surprised. I remember waking up from surgery 13 years ago and I felt like I was hit by a truck. Feeling confident with Dr. Moore and may request a night in the hospital. thank you all.

Hi @Ginny .
I've moved your thread from the Hip Surgery Recovery Area to the Hip Surgery Pre-Op Area, since your surgery won't be done until June.

People who have had surgery still come back to the Pre-Op Area, to give advice .

By the way, what date next June are you having your second THR and which hip will it be?
If you tell us that, we'll add it to your signature and put your name on the June Sunbeams 2021 Surgery team thread list.

Hi! I had outpatient THR in February. It went very well and being at home was so great! I was grateful to sleep in my own bed and be with my family. I will say the first few days are pretty rough (as you said... definitely feeling like being hit by a truck!!), so I don’t know if I’d be up for travel right after surgery.

best of luck!

I had mine done outpatient 1 and 1/2 years ago, all went great! a good choice for me. I was 62/

Yes, there has been a huge change. Surgeons want to keep down infections for one, and hospitals are prime locations (ironically and oddly) for infections, right--with the ailing people there.

So most surgeons release people after an overnight stay. Also surgeons seem to have concluded that the longer you hold a patient in a hospital, the more afraid the patient is when they get home. Anesthesiologists are also part of this change, as I understand it. They began to administer better pain medicine so the patient could be up and moving very quickly.

You're not going to be much more mobile if you stay a night. And apparently outpatient patients have no more complications or delays in recovery or slowness to walk or infections or pain or any other problems as the patients who spend a night. Joint replacement surgeons study and compare EVERYTHING.

I have had three different replacements dating back almost 10 years and all were out patient @Ginny. My surgeon told me "we don't want you to stay in the hospital, too many sick people there!"

Hi @Ginny
As you have heard, hip replacement procedures have come a long way and though I stayed two nights after my BTHR, I was told it would only be one night.
The doctor said I should stay the night in a hotel and drive back to Florida the next day.
This, on the other hand...
:nah:
How long is your drive?
I'm sure it's doable... But I had a 50 minute ride home and that's about all the fun I could stand.

I was offered outpatient on my 2nd THR, I passed. It was a couple of hour drive to both the hospital or the surgery center. I wanted it just like my first, spent the night before at the motel surgery early in the AM discharge the next morning and an easy drive home with stops. It worked out fine both times.

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday for my pre-op visit. My surgery is scheduled for this coming Wednesday (21st). When I talked to the surgeon in early January I was given the choice of outpatient surgery at the Surgery Center or stay overnight 1 night at the hospital where I had my previous surgery. I chose to stay overnight. But at my pre-op visit I was informed that because of Covid, they now send the patients home the same day from the hospital too. I think I'll do okay since I have lots of help at home and a spinal anesthesia, but I think my preference would be to stay one night.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads