TKR Outpatient pros and cons

Here in Portugal we are not offered the choice and in the private hospitals it's usually a 2 night stay but our public hospital the norm is 4-5 nights. I was operated in a private hospital as the public was too full so in rare cases we get transferred especially if you are scheduled for an operation and then not attended in the public within 6 months. I stayed 3 nights only due to the fact my walking wasn't quite up to par to leave (you need to be able to manage 2 flights of stairs alone and walk 600m of a corridor) unassisted with the use of your crutches ( here they do not encourage walkers)
Given the choice I think 1-2 nights providing you get a peaceful room I was unfortunate to have shared with a very loud snorer, so I got very little sleep although pain meds kept me fairly drowsy but not enought to knock me out :rotfl: and the bed distance was to far to poke her with my crutch haha
Also it's good to have the reassurance that there are professional care around you as it is major surgery.
Once home you will appreciate the quietness as hospitals are really noisy surprisingly x
Good luck with your forthcoming surgery xxx

I personally loved the care I received in the hospital and didn’t want to go home right away. I also knew I had two very large flights of stairs to contend with when I returned home.

I've noted that in parts of Europe, UK, etc they don't do walkers. I had a 'folding' walker initially and was shown how to walk using it to increase my steps towards not using it. It was a technique as appose to just pushing the thing about.

From that I went to a cane. Then less cane (and a four-wheeler with the seat as needed). I just wander why crutches are preferred in other countries...?

...unassisted with the use of your crutches (here they do not encourage walkers)...

Last edited:
Hah! I was the snorer ...:whistle: ... But thankfully I was in room alone! Not disturbed too much-just enough to know they were checking vitals and see if I needed pain med adjustments. I was lucky that way!

Given the choice I think 1-2 nights providing you get a peaceful room I was unfortunate to have shared with a very loud snorer, so I got very little sleep although pain meds kept me fairly drowsy but not enought to knock me out :rotfl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back