THR Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope all.is well with you

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks for asking! Actually am walking well with the cane. The swelling finally seems to be subsiding enough to actually see the difference!
The icing and elevating that I have done diligently after walking and excercise I think is the reason. Am staying positive and not doing more than I should. I realize now that it is going to take time and I am going to let it.
How are you doing? Hope Holiday was good!
Birdie53

Hi, @Legin . Thanks for asking. I'm doing well, a bit tired after the busy Christmas week. The appt with the OS went fine - X-Ray looked good, & I don't have to see him for a year! I've increased my exercise on stationary bike, and started some new stretching that has me a bit sore, but feeling really fortunate to be doing so well. A few aches and pains are still a huge improvement from pre op. Still fighting insomnia, but that's a longstanding issue - at least it's not hip pain keeping me up! I get a lot of books read at night.
Had a wonderful Christmas eve at our son's home, with his family and our daughter's family. Our grandson is home from college - world's sweetest young man - and the 7 year old grandson was so excited it made the party fun!
Sounds like you had a lovely time (probably overdoing the time on your feet cooking!) With your family. . How are you feeling? Hopefully taking things easy now with your feet up!
I'll lift a glass on New Year's to a happy, healthier 2015 for you!

Attachments

• IMG_256892044903440_kindlephoto-256994329.jpg
    IMG_256892044903440_kindlephoto-256994329.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 158
Hey what a brilliant report and a grand pic family really raises the spirits. Hence my foot wasn't.that bad asbi.was levitating. Mind you.there are a few holes in the ceiling. Ty for the glass Highland Park please a smooth peaty malt from.orkney take care pal

Legin THR Sep 14

Hope you have a wonderful new year and that the next is as.pain.free as can.be

Legin THR Sep 14

Thank you! @Legin .And I've been checking out the Highland Park. .not sure I can afford the 18 yr. Lol.
It's turned really cold & windy - not enjoying my walks much - down to about 20F tonight with brisk wind. Dog loves it though, go figure, he's a Havanese - Cuban breed who hates hot weather, loves cold!
I drove myself to appt today downtown - about hour drive in heavy traffic - hip didn't like it much, really hurting by time I got there. Much better on way home, stopped several places. Right hip makes driving hard - guess that's the positive to look forward to if /when the left one deteriorates. (OS says when, not if. - X-Ray looks awful). I say not till it starts hurting. .
Happy New Year to all my hipster buddies!

Hope that other hip holds up for you @hopefulm and that you will soon be able drive drive pain free!
Wishing you a Happy, Healthy & pain free 2015.
I'll join you in the Highland Park with @Legin although my preference is Lagavulin....may have both!! Cheers Chrissie xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks, Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny. Hoping the left holds up another year - I turn 65 in Feb 2016, & really want to wait for Medicare for the next surgery, if possible. Bills are still coming in from this one. . . I'm self insured with ridiculously high premiums, and still have over $4000 to pay in out of pocket. . . Lucky enough to have the $$, but cutting way into the savings! My husband had shoulder replaced on Medicare & with his supplemental plan, ($500/month less premiums), he had $0 out of pocket.
Fortunately, although the X-Ray shows bone on bone with a very large cyst and spurs, so far no pain, although range of motion isn't great. Crossing fingers for a year!
Wishing you the very healthiest and happiest New Year!
Mary

Gosh those premiums are high! We moan about our NHS but it is free....worrying about paying for these ops must be awful.
My other hip will need doing in the future but it has behaved quite well since my THR...getting more painful in the damp, cold weather but I'm in no rush to go again..yet!
Hoping yours stays pain free @hopefulm! ....xxx

Hi, I just caught up with your thread. Even though your not talking about it anymore, I would like to put my 2 cents about compression socks and sleeping. I didn't get any instructions about how long to wear the socks. However, after my daughter went home after 2 weeks, it was irrelevant. There was no way I could put them back on after taking a shower. There was no one to help. I was on blood thinners for 30 days and did just fine.
I would like to offer a possible solution to members that have a problem sleeping. An egg crate mattress is a God send. I would be in the same boat with most of you if I didn't sleep with one. It really doesn't matter if you like a soft or firm mattress, it's not very thick. It helps a lot with pressure points. Try it, you might like it! Hope this finds you well.

Today is 8 weeks since my RTHR. . .I am still amazed that I can walk straight without limping! Off meds except for Tylenol and occasional Vicodin - mostly after driving. Anything more than about 30 minutes driving is still very painful. . .something about the position I have to hold my foot isn't right. Causes pain in hip - low back, and persistent pain in back of thigh/femur for several hours. . Don't think that's too bad at this point, and feeling optimistic that it will improve.
Everyone who knows me remarks how great it is to see me walking normally, love my new hip!
I have to say, one more time, I can't imagine getting through this without BoneSmart! Thanks to all of you!!!

I am so happy for you that your recovery is progressing so well. My new hip used to hurt after driving too, but it disappeared...I can' remember at what week but I know it does not anymore, just my bad hip hurts terrible now when driving or as a passenger. This is one of the things I find so remarkable about recovery... Some muscle or tissue hurts and seems like it will never get better and then one day it's like hey that pain is gone, when did that happen!

So glad my hip buddy is doing so well! :) I, too, am pleased with my recovery, however, I can't wait to be able to reach my toes and also looking forward to a good soaking bath!

Hi, @AnnieABC! Glad to hear you are doing well, too. I'm impatient with how long it takes to regain range-of-motion. . .still can't really put on right sock or tie shoe without serious contortions. However, I had almost no restrictions, and have been able to soak in my tub since the incision healed completely at about week 5! My evening baths have been wonderful - hopefully soon for you.
I keep having to remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint!

Thanks for the encouragement, @Legin , @Hoppy Nanny , @NuMe2014 , and @Midchild54 .
I'm crossing fingers that the left hip holds out a bit longer so I can fully recover from this one before facing the next go round. So far, pretty manageable aches - x Ray looks worse than it feels. I have great respect for those who have to face back to back surgeries.
Sunny beautiful day today - time for some walking before the rains return!

Greetings to all my Bonesmart friends! I haven't posted in the last 2 weeks because we left our home in the NW for a 1500 mile journey to our winter home - took it fairly slow in our little motor home. I was anxious about how I would handle it, but did well with regular stops to walk around a bit. Then spent this week unpacking and setting up the house here. The hip is doing remarkably well, gets a bit sore after busy days, but I can sleep without hip pain. Wow! It's 10.5 weeks since surgery, and I'm mostly just frustrated with the inability to reach my foot - still a struggle to put on socks and shoes. I'm starting a water exercise class Monday here in the warm therapy pool, called Joints in Motion - hopefully this will help things progress.
Mainly, I tweaked my opposite knee somehow on the trip - and badly stubbed the toe on the same left side, so have been icing and resting with good improvement. . No excuses for klutziness!
All in all, I feel so fortunate and happy to be where I am today. . .hoping all is well with everyone.

Sounds like you are doing great! The reaching your foot bit... It will come it just takes time. For me I could start( awkwardly) at around 14-15 weeks putting on my sock and clipping my nails. Just remember patience and listen to your body.
Enjoy you winter home!

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

Great to see all going well @hopefulm & that you made it through your long journey ok....I bet you were stiff when you arrived.
Hope you enjoy your time there......and your Joints in Motion class.
I still can't put my socks on without my sock aid but that's more to do with my back surgery than my lovely new hip.
Sleeping without pain is so great, isn't it. Glad to see your progress...love Chrissie x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks