THR Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doggy cuddles... Lovely! Don't worry we will remind you if you're overdoing it!!! X

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Oh they will they will, - shows scars from tongue lashings

Legin THR Sep 14

Hopefulm, hope you are feeling a bit better today and let EVERYONE ELSE take care of things today. No tongue lashing here, just a reminder that you Deserve This Time to recover. You know where the finish line is, so there's just no rush to get there! It is FANTASTIC you've made the transition to the cane. :yay:

Hope you had a lovely holiday today and promise to shop from home this weekend (online) to avoid those crowds. People don't watch what's happening around them, so a cane means NOTHING. You have to watch out for those shopping with blinders on. They WILL NOT see you or your cane.:gaah:

Thanks for thinking of me, @dede62! We had a wonderful family Thanksgiving. The kids came with their sons, so I got to hang out with my 2 wonderful grandsons, while everyone else cooked. Deep fried turkey, ham in the barbque, with all the fixings, all prepared by others. . .maybe I should continue this plan every year! I seem to have turned some corner - no cane needed, pain very minimal - using meds to sleep at night only. I managed a longer walk outdoors this AM, between the rainy periods - I do use the cane outdoors. As for shopping, I hate it when I'm healthy, so no risk of that!
Hope you also had a lovely Holiday!

Three weeks today! I feel like I turned some sort of corner a few days ago - no more cane needed, walking steady (albeit a bit gingerly), and needing minimal pain meds. I've been slowly increasing my walks every day, and made several short trips to the grocery store. Today went for a slightly longer shopping excursion to buy some toys for the local toy drive - it was Senior discount day at a local store that also has lots of extra coupons, so today was the day. It was my most ambitious outing, so I'm home in bed now with feet up.
But I have to say, despite some muscle soreness (fully expected) after exertion, I couldn't be more pleased, and frankly amazed at the early outcome !
It was a morbid sort of joke with friends and family, prior to this surgery, that I would have either horrible complications or a poor outcome from any surgery. To list - Near death complications from gall bladder surgery, still painful crooked toe after hammer toe surgery, bleeding requiring redo after hemorrhoid surgery, bleeding requiring redo after oral surgery, prolonged numbness and foot problems after back surgery. . . So, you get the picture!
All that said, I got up the courage for this THR purely out of desperation, and I believe I've broken the bad luck pattern. So happy to be healing!
I have to thank all my BS friends for the support - you truly gave me the courage to get to this point!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm glad you broke the pattern @hopefulm !! You do truly deserve a complication-free recovery, and this is probably a good procedure to get it with. I'm a little like you in that I hear "unlucky" quite a lot, pre and post op! You know, "OA, elderly parents nothing between them, that's unlucky, AVN too that's a bit unlucky" you'll have to have 12 weeks of restrictions now, that's a bit unlucky... everything from Close Angle Glaucoma (a reaction to medication, no family history, just unlucky) to kidney stones (unlucky), Type 2 Diabetes (correct weight, good diet, fit and otherwise healthy.. just unlucky) Gallstones (unlucky) Depression "Unlucky"... perhaps not, perhaps just a reaction to being so unlucky:rotfl: Geez when I write it down, having the THR was something of a leap of faith for me too:loll:
Hope your recovery continues apace:loveshwr:

Oh, @craftdee, I am so sorry for the challenges you face. I do hope that you are able to break through that pattern, also. When I hear what others face, I can only feel fortunate!
Hugs to you!

Oh @hopefulm you don't have to feel sorry for me, it really has reached the point of "funny" - we wait when given diagnoses... "and the unlucky bit is...." :rotfl: and none of my "issues" are that difficult to deal with day to day, I also always feel myself fortunate when I hear the woes of others; one of my good friends has severe Lupus, she has had so many operations, procedures and treatments has had her feet fused, has terrible arthritis and her hands are so twisted I always massage them without even thinking whenever we meet up... and she NEVER complains, EVER, and ALWAYS asks how I'm going and if she can help!! She still works from home as a hairdresser; she can no longer open the lids on hair colours and can't roll perms, but she still loves it, and I've got to say it's astounding to watch those spaghetti fingers at work :rolleyes: I won't let her do my hair because I feel it's taking advantage of her, but she has loads of clients and she claims it's what keeps her going... if ever I'm feeling a bit hard done by, I think of Mirella and how much harder it could be. Two of her kids live overseas too, and her eldest son has only just come home after five years overseas... AND her hubby is a workaholic, phew boy, am I ever lucky?! (my support system is so strong)
Bye for now:wave:

Hi to everyone who has offered so much help and support! I'm now 4 weeks with my new hip, and so pleased! Progressing every day with a bit more activity & exercise, and backing off when my body says it's too much. Biggest challenge is figuring out how much to push in order to regain some strength and energy without getting too sore. I'm walking outdoors when it's not pouring, twice/day, for about 3/4 mile loop around the neighborhood. Doesn't seem like much, but I still get tired, but not as winded and slightly lightheaded as several days ago. I also started on the stationary bike this week, backwards, with no tension, as advised in the PT info I was given. I'm up doing laundry, cooking a bit, and grocery shopping with hubby.

I have no restrictions, except PT handed me a sheet before I left the hospital showing that I should not turn my foot inward at the same time as I reach down on the outside of my leg. . .basically I can reach as much as I tolerate as long as I keep arms inside knees. I've managed to put my sock on myself the last few days with a certain amount of foot wiggling. I can pick things up from the floor easier than I have in a very, very long time!

The worst part at this point are the compression stockings! I'm supposed to wear them for 6 weeks and I hate them! My skin is dry and flaking under them ,they're hot and uncomfortable, and hubby still has to put the one on for me.

So, a couple of questions - @Josephine - is there any conclusive evidence of benefit from compression hose after 4 weeks post op? I dug into the literature and found lots of strong data on benefits in reducing DVT when used early post op ( first 2 weeks) in THR patients, but couldn't find anything about more extended use. I know my OS is very proud of the low DVT rate in his patients (<0.5%), but I wonder if the 6 weeks of ASA 325mg/daily isn't the more important factor at this point. . .or is that wishful thinking on my part??

I know everyone is different, but I'm wondering if I should be pushing a little harder on conditioning exercises? The OS in this area don't much believe in PT post op, which is likely fine, since I think Josephine is correct in saying that walking will do it, and the rest sorts itself out. . .however, it does leave one without much guidance as to how hard to push. . .

Also, how long is it reasonable to expect to be able to comfortably reach my foot to put on socks, reach to shave legs, do nail care, etc??

Duh!! I just went in to the BS library section and found the section Josephine had put together on home PT with timelines & exercises. Thanks, @Josephine ! I think I'm pretty much on track!

is there any conclusive evidence of benefit from compression hose after 4 weeks post op?
Actually the conclusive evidence in favour doesn't exist. There has been some questions raised about the efficacy of them however. Wish I could find even one of the articles but I can't!
I wonder if the 6 weeks of ASA 325mg/daily isn't the more important factor at this point. . .or is that wishful thinking on my part??
ASA being aspirin, yes? And yes, it is important. It's by far the best anticoagulant.
I know everyone is different, but I'm wondering if I should be pushing a little harder on conditioning exercises? The OS in this area don't much believe in PT post op, which is likely fine, since I think Josephine is correct in saying that walking will do it, and the rest sorts itself out... however, it does leave one without much guidance as to how hard to push.
Don't 'push' at all! Just do some structured walks as per my article. Don't power walk, just stroll to begin with. You can save the power walking until at least 6 months out!
Also, how long is it reasonable to expect to be able to comfortably reach my foot to put on socks, reach to shave legs, do nail care, etc??
As they say "different strokes for different folks"!
Duh!! I just went in to the BS library section and found the section Josephine had put together on home PT with timelines & exercises.
Jolly good! Of course, Poppet left you that article and several others in this post so I suggest you go back and read them!
I can pick things up from the floor easier than I have in a very, very long time!
Did you also catch the article on the golfer's reach?

golfers reach 1.jpg

@hopefulm Hi, I am working hard to pay off my hospital bills and feel fantastic. Those socks were the most bothersome part of the ordeal. I did the research and realize the liability of the Professionals to say no socks. Well, They itched and caused bruising more than the operation. Plus i had all the time in the world to figure out how to put a 2inch round sock on a 17 in calf by my self. Well ,thanks to the show McGiver (sp). i developed a way to do it. ONCE!!! After 8-9 day i threw them away and I used my sport socks and did ankle pumps double time. A lot of the Hippies did not have to wear them. Some Hippies said, " What are compression socks". I lived and the relief i got was very nice. I would have been warped for life if i had to wear them for two weeks let alone 4. Then again, if i had to wear pantyhose. Augh

Hi, @Michegon! I threw away the horrid stockings after 4 weeks. Couldn't take another minute of itchy, peeling skin. . . So much happier now! Actually thought I was extraordinarily compliant to have continued that long!
I'm 5 weeks today, and so pleased with the outcome, and my choice of surgeon. When I read many of the stories on this forum, I'm grateful for his skill and experience, and the few restrictions.
At this point, I'm just gradually increasing exercise, and crossing my fingers that the other hip continues pain free. If not, at least I'll be able to face surgery with much less anxiety.
Hope all is well with you. Go Ducks!
Mary

@hopefulm Back at ya. You can do anything in this world if you had those horrid socks on for 4 weeks. Kudos to you. It looks like Legin needs to read up on our football team Quack,Quack fellow Duckies and have a Fab Christmas and new Year. PS, Our OS is Simply the Best.

Not to sound like miss goody two shoes but this is my revision hip surgery and both times the doctor said 6 weeks with the compression hose. I think they are very important with the aspirin to help prevent blood clots. Would hate for first timers to get the wrong idea and think it's ok to ditch them. Wear them. Better safe than sorry as my mom says!

Thanks, @Birdie53. I agree that it is always a good idea to follow MD recommendations. As for the compression stockings, the evidence in medical literature certainly supports the benefits in the early post op period. Later use is a matter of caution rather than any evidence-based science, and, especially if patients are not very active, a VERY safe precaution. It really is less and less necessary as one becomes more active. I didn't stop until I had returned to my normal household activities, and was walking several miles daily in addition to riding my exercycle (without resistance) daily. I recognize that we all progress differently, and that level of activity is not possible for many at 4 weeks.
It is fascinating to me how much difference there is between surgeons as to the post op restrictions and recommendations.

Thanks -- I completely agree with your reply. And am certainly impressed by your progress. Only wish mine were the same! My main reason for reply was just to make sure those who were newby's to replacement did not take short cuts if they were told to use for a specific amt of time. As you said it is amazing as I read postings how different the surgeons recommendations are-- and differences in care-- and a little scary. This site has really been a great help to me. Much better than any of the others. I thank everyone for their insight and help!
Thx!

Well, tomorrow is the big 6 Week checkup! My OS pretty much discharges from the hospital with instructions to walk, start non resistance stationary bike at about 4 -5 weeks, and a very few basic stretching exercises - heel pumps, quad tightening, and butt squeezes - no official physical therapy. I had good instructions for pain control, dressing, management, observations for symptoms of DVT, and showering. No restrictions except a sheet showing I should not turn the surgical foot inward while reaching down on the outside of that leg - told by the inhospital PT to just always reach down inside my legs. I had a mini posterior (lateral) approach, so really expected more restrictions from reading this forum, but very happy that I didn't. However, I does sometimes make me afraid I might be doing something wrong - pretty much decided if it hurts, I stop!
The only thing on which I wish I'd had better instructions - how to position for sleep. I mostly slept on my back with legs elevated for 2-3 weeks, but still don't like sleeping on my non op side, even with pillows. It seems to make my hip(s) really sore. So I've been turning on the op side for the last week or so, as soon as it wasn't too sore. I'm a chronic poor sleeper, toss and turn in my sleep like a mad woman, hubby says. Some mornings I wake up really sore, I assume from some positions I've managed in my sleep. Does anyone think I could be doing anything harmful? I'll ask tomorrow, too.
I'm exhausted and really sore today. . It's such a challenge figuring out how much I can do, and how much is too much. In the midst of a minor pity party today, because I had such a FUN day yesterday, and felt great. Had a nice doggie walk in the AM, rode the stationary bike, rested, then had about 45 minute ride downtown (in the Pearl district) to my best friend's art gallery to see her latest exhibit, sample some local wines and chocolates and visit with dear friends. Didn't stay long, but probably more time on my feet than anytime previously. Came home, iced, and rested, but perfectly miserable today. . .darn!!
We're still looking forward to leaving for our winter home in AZ, hopefully by about mid January. It's a 1500 mile trip; we're planning no more than 300 miles/day in our small motor home, (with a comfy bed, and frig for my ice packs). I am so ready to leave the cold rainy weather for the sun, but still a bit nervous about the trip. I guess I will have a better idea in a few weeks - and we can stop more frequently if necessary.
As I review this before posting, I have to say I'm a bit embarrassed to be such a wuss - I've been incredibly lucky with this recovery. . So thanks for letting me vent - especially those with much worse challenges.

Now first of you are no.wuss and.everyone is alowed a pity day. Sheeesh its such a.long road of recovery and.yes sleep or lack of tests the strongest of us. So yep check out. But hey.move.to.sun just what the.ogre ordered.

Legin THR Sep 14

Hope your appointment goes well @hopefulm & he gives you some reassurance!
Sleeping is one of those things that is difficult for most of us....I got used to sleeping on my back & it took me until about 6 months to be comfy on my side ...however, I'm not a good sleeper in any event...
You are no wuss....! This is recovery is slow & emotional and you are doing just great!!
I'm sure by mid January you will be up for that trip and enjoy it! Hope you have a fab xmas & new year...love Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is