THR Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing just great! It's a good feeling after all the apprehension prior to surgery, isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Sounds great. The hydro seemed to stop me up. All in due time.

Congrats on your pain free night! Keep up the good work.

@hopefulm I just caught up on your recovery. You are doing great. It is amazing how this recovery is a rollercoaster ride. Keep drinking your fluids and resting. So important. So happy for you. Not having that joint pain is such an incredible feeling. Rest up today.

So happy that your recovery is going so well! Pain-free and able to sleep. It doesn't get any better than that!

Hopefully, your constipation problems will resolve soon. Mine resolved 3 days ago, thank goodness.

-after reading threads found myself humming winnie the PHOO tune

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks, everyone. Learning about the ups and downs of energy drain. . Pretty exhausted yesterday, tried to walk more. . .needed pain meds for sleeping last night, which, I guess isn't too bad for one week out. I'm remembering hammer toe surgery last year was extremely painful for several weeks.
Finally think I'm getting the bowel issues "worked out". I think being up walking more with less narcotics will keep things on track.
Really looking forward to Thanksgiving next week. Son, daughter, and families coming over to do dinner for us. It will be the first time to see our oldest grandson since he started college, and youngest cousin since starting first grade!
Slow and steady!

Gets metronome for@hopefulm- ah but i have the remote control for it

Really good day today! Weather warmed up, so no more icy sidewalks, and no rain today, so took a walk outside. Getting a bit of cabin fever, so fresh air was great, even if just up and back on my street for about 15 minutes.

I'm still using the walker for security, but feel very steady and sure moving a few steps around the house without it. I think I'll try the cane soon - although I do like the bag I attached to the walker for toting around my phone, tablet, water bottle and ice pack. . .it was a wee bit embarrassing to be seen outside with it, however!

The only thing that is bothering me as far as discomfort are the deep bruises on the back of my thigh. I get very sore after sitting or even walking for a bit. Feels like I've been seriously man-handled!

Had to take a nap after my outing, but seem to be a little less exhausted each day.

Hope to walk more tomorrow, and maybe an outing to the store soon. Progressing toward normalcy!

So glad to hear you are doing well. The fresh air makes a person feel so much better. I remember going for my first walk down the street with my walker...before I left the house I was thinking what will people think, but I gave myself a good pep talk - I said be darned with what people will think, this is about getting exercise and fresh air and away I went for a 10 min walk and then I did twice more that day and I felt awesome! Sad to say, but no more walking outside for me now, winter is here for us with 4 inches of snow, but my PT gave me the go ahead to use my treadmill 2 weeks ago so I at least I get my walk in that way! I'm walking 1 mile a day now, my new hip loves the walking but my bad hip does not!

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

I was same back of leg so sore and it was spot the normal skin fom bruiises. Its major surger but megga manipulation to get to top of leg and hip. They sort of slipped out it took ages to disslocate leg
It does go i kept lieing on good side. Was also very good at doing the bott hover liftin bott up

So glad all going well @hopefulm....sounds like you are tight on track!
And..erm...well....don't like to tell you this...but...you have been seriously manhandled!! It takes some time for all that muscle & soft tissue pain to go....but it does! Hope you get some more fresh air today....it does wonders! X

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

The body has amazing powers of recovery it will go. With me I had that pain and nothing from hip. Just as well being male can only deal with 1 thing at a time

Legin THR Sep 14

OK, I've discovered the "overdone it" pain. Yesterday I felt great, we had some breaks in the perpetual NW November rains, so I took 3 nice walks outside on my street - seemed ridiculously short and easy, but way more than anything before. Felt so good all day, I neglected to use my previously constant ice packs. . .Woke up today with very sore tight painful area on the lateral aspect of the surgical leg, just below the incision, and a lot more swelling on the distal (lower) area of the incision line. The pain almost feels like a pulled muscle, and is tender to touch.
Darn!! I have been so happy to be virtually pain free, I forgot I had major surgery! And I'm a nurse, who should know better! So, today, I'm icing all day, took an oxycodone this PM, and guess I needed a lesson in patience - my daughter reminded me that I'm much better at being the care giver, and have never been known to be patient, especially with myself!

So, I'm assuming I shouldn't freak out about this and remember it is a marathon, not a sprint. .

Welcome to the ODIC!! We all join it at some stage in our recovery...(even the ones that should know better!..lol)
Trouble is @hopefulm we think after a few short weeks we can push harder & that's not the case...s,l.o.w & s.t.e.a.d.y from now on please!!
One walk a day....ever increasing the distance over a period of weeks/ months is so the best way and keep up that icing.
Hope you have a better day! Chrissie x

Oh hopefulm oh hopefulm see what happens I would never do the overdoing it bit - whistles innocently. Yup itnis difficult esp when you have always been the giver, and will it happen again probably. Just rest and ice and levitate that leg.

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks so much, @Legin & @Hoppy Nanny. Pretty much zoned out yesterday - just me & my ice packs (& my cuddly doggie!) Things are much better today. . .lesson learned! Had a very nice walk this AM with just the cane, icing & thinking boredom is OK!

You can always write your xmas cards & wrap your pressies if you want to be even more bored!

Thanks, @Legin & @Hoppy Nanny ! I'm 2 weeks out today, and am still needing a knock on the noggin every now and then to remind me that IT'S ONLY 2 weeks. I transitioned easily from walker to cane yesterday, and for some reason decided that meant "should" be able to walk further, rest less, and not need pain meds. . . WRONG!! Very sore today, so decided I needed a reality check, and caught up on a few BS threads.
So, surprise, I am reminded, once again, that it's not a sprint. . .patience, patience, patience.
So, it's time for an oxycodone, and a cuddle with my pup!
20141122_125901.jpg

I know that its so easy to think wahaaaaay and zoom into pre opp activity got the t shirt yup resting is order ofnthe day

Legin THR Sep 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks