THR Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulm

Country
United States United States
Late night, awake again on my ice pack. . .decided to set up my recovery thread. Only about 36 hours 'til I awaken with a new hip. . .

Best wishes @hopefulm - we will be eagerly waiting your all important first post surgery update xx

Hang in there - this is the hard part!

Back in my room, eating a few bites of lunch, with a brand new hip!! We arrived at 0630, waited in pre-op area til 0830, with all the usual, blood draw, IV start, and general prep tasks. All the staff were very friendly & efficient. Loved my anesthesiologist! He wheeled me to the room about 0830, performed the spinal, then lights out! Woke about 1030 in recovery! Only down side was some nausea/ burpiness but the nurse treated me aggressively with lots of anti nausea meds, so it gradually resolved by about 1230, so wheeled back to my room.
Got Dilaudid for 6-7 pain at site. Now in the room, will try oxycodone this PM.
My op side woke up faster that the left side, but both seem to have normal sensation now! My right leg does feel like it's been wrenched about a bit _ but I'm moving my ice packs around, and know that will gradually improve.
I will be getting up soon! Wow, I already love my new hip!
Hope to hear soon from my fellow hipsters! Nap time. . .

Congratulations!! Sounds like a good experience as these things go. You'll soon be up and test driving that new hip. Have lots of rest and look forward to getting home.

Wow, up to the commode chair already. Feels very strong, but was pretty painful sitting in incision. Nurses are terrific and at providing adequate regular pain meds. This really is going better than I expected!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think I understand overdoing. . .decided tonight I was ready for a longer walk to the BR, then standing to wash my face & brush my teeth. . .now, I'm lying awake with significant pain of 7 or so, after tramadol, oxycodone 15mg & 1 gm. Tylenol. . And I've been getting the oxycodone 15mg every 3-4 hours. I do see progress, pain was 8-9 after first time on commode, but I'm wondering if going home in the AM will be pushing things??
I've been on ice packs continuously, and have leg elevated. . .I know it's really early, but I was hoping to progress a little more easily. . .

Take it easy @hopefulm. Your doing just fine. My pain level was about a 6-7 when in hospital. I was so happy to get home. Nothing like being in your own house. Just keep asking for pain meds if you need them. Important to stay on top of it even at home. So glad you are on your way to recovering. Just so you know you are doing great.

Welcome to your new life, keep ontop of pain I got told off big time by nurses for not telling them.

Legin THR Sep 14

Its trial and error just take heed of what your leg is telling you and respond, so pain, swelling give it a rest. It does get better I can even do a wee jig now - oooooooooooops

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks so much for all the support, @Legin & @xtina16405. I think I felt so good initially, that I wasn't really prepared to deal with the pain after being up. The nurses here are terrific about coming to offer pain meds every 3-4 hours. I think I was asking for too low dose of oxycodone. . I tried to get by with 10-15 mg, instead of the full 20mg that is available. I tried 20 overnight & did much better after being up to the toilet. Today will be busy, so I plan to max out on my meds, & likely go home!

As long as its right to go home I left too early (not first time I have left hospital early). BUT remember if it hurts stop and ask why. Is it what you are doing or just your pain management needs tweaking. If it was someone else what would you tell them to do. Oooooooooer thats a long spell of seriousness for me. - sings a wee ditty - joins in with dogs howling

Legin THR Sep 14

Awwww shucks it was nothin us ogres are helpful crestures

Legin THR Sep 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online