THR Out of town dilemma

I have my surgery schedule for mid June. I was wondering if it is common procedure for the surgeon to give a bone scan a few weeks or months after the procedure to see if the device is growing into the bone properly?

My surgeon took x-rays at one month and six months that can show if there is a filling in around the stem to the bone.
I also had a follow up xray at one year.

I have my surgery schedule for mid June. I was wondering if it is common procedure for the surgeon to give a bone scan a few weeks or months after the procedure to see if the device is growing into the bone properly?

Yes, the surgeon will probably do X-rays at a few weeks post-op... then maybe 3-6 months after that, then annually. That's how mine worked anyway for my first hip. I'll find out soon enough how the second one works... with a different surgeon My first surgeon retired from surgery, but still treats patients for certain things, as well as does the annuals on our hips. My new surgeon is a bit younger, which I actually like, as he'll be in practice for years to come.

I’ve been asking my surgeon’s PA questions about surgical preferences. She said that my surgeon uses one screw for the acetabular component on all primary hip replacements. I understand the purpose of the screw, but is this common? I just don’t want the screw to cause unnecessary damage.

She said that my surgeon uses one screw for the acetabular component on all primary hip replacements.
This is very common. It depends on what implant the surgeon uses. And it won't cause any damage. It will just help hold that implant in place.

I got screwed with mine, twice! Both of my cups are held in place with a screw. My OS took an x-ray at my follow up and that was it. I did have an x-ray done when I went for my second THR and he looked at the first and said it was doing fine.

I definitely have 1 screw in my left acetabular cup(I have pics of my xray).. and I've yet to see my brand new right hip(next Wednesday I will), but I'm betting I have 1 screw in there as well.

I'm actually excited to see my xray of both hips.

The screws won't cause any trouble. They're just to stabilize the cup if your surgeon sees fit.. no doubt.

For my LTHR I had an xray at 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and now it's annual.

For my recent RTHR I'm going in exactly 2 weeks post op(next wednesday), and I expect about the same intervals of xrays for the next several years.

Last edited:
My doctor will be using the anterior approach. He said that about 1/2 of patients have some numbness after surgery. For most patients, does the numbness go away eventually? I know every patient is different.

Hi @NoHippo :wave:
Yes, I had numbness after my anterior on both legs ...one slightly more than the other.
The numbness dwindled to a patch that I had almost chalked up to permanent nearing a year, but finally completely dissipated.
All normal now.:ok:

I’m about a week away from left hip replacement. I’m curious, if something were to happen to the ceramic ball in the future, and assuming the stem and socket are fine, would the doctor be able to replace just the ball, or would the entire stem, ball, and socket need replaced?

@NoHippo
Here's an article about revision surgery. If you scroll down past the video in the paragraph starting with Implant Related Fractures you will see that the chances of the ceramic failing are very rare.

Yes, components can be replaced but that would depend on the reason for revision and the patient's own medical situation.

Ceramic components are usually used in cases where the patient is more active.

Just had left hip replaced today. (Anterior method). I highly recommend having surgery early in the morning if possible. All went well. I found that I felt a whole lot better after I had three good sized meals along with my pain meds. They also gave me anti nausea meds. Planning on heading home tomorrow at noon.
I’ve decided to do the movements recommended to me by the physical therapist as well as occasional walking in my walker. But I’m not going to push it too hard. Thank you for the good advice you have provided during this process.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back