Lounge Doctor

TKR Osteopenia and osteoporosis

Carmencita

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Jo Wo The experts here will, I’m sure, have more of a professional answer to your question. From my experience, (I have osteopenia and RA) my surgeon said it was not a great concern when he did my TKR 8 weeks ago - however he did say he was going to be “extra gentle” due to the osteopenia. He also said he would have a long stemmed replacement on the table if my bones weren’t up to a standard prosthesis. He didn’t have to use the long stem. I’m doing very well so far.

My late Mum had both her knees (and a shoulder) replaced in her 70’s whilst suffering from severe osteoporosis. They were all a big success.

Best to discuss with your OS I would say....best wishes....

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Does either of these conditions impose a greater risk in tkr surgery?
Your surgeon will be aware of these conditions and will have met them before. He/she will be well prepared to deal with them.

There is a slightly increased risk of bone fracture during surgery, and possibly a slightly slower recovery.

If you haven't already, do talk to your surgeon about your concerns This will help to allay some of your concern.

Do you have a date yet for you surgery? If so, please tell us, so we can make a signature for you.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

Country
United States United States
thank you @Carmencita and @Celle.
Today I started breaking in my unloader brace. I want to give that a try before surgery. I only used voltaren for pain today. I want to see how the pain level goes as I slowly ramp up my activity with the brace. I am sleeping well, and the swelling is minimal. If I get to a point where intermittent OTC use cant keep the pain down, then it's time to book it.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Joybeth
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom