BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

osteoarthritis unloaders

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by BLRingler, Aug 11, 2019.

1. BLRingler

BLRingler new member

United States United States
    Hello, new to forum, happy to have found it. Osteoarthritis turning out to be life changing.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees.

During the day at work and sleeping at night I am wearing a thin McDavid Knee Support 402 on both knees

When pushing the knees with cutting the yard, washing cars, etc. I am wearing a M-Brace Air #43 unloader

I am looking for a thin unloader to wear during the day under work slacks. Anyone have any experience? I know I am headed for surgery but trying different pain management until then

Thanks

2. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

When I had an unloader brace it was pretty bulky. I could just get it under slacks if they were fairly loose. But I didn't like it b/c I either couldn't get it to stay in place or it got very uncomfortable. But that was several years ago.

3. BLRingler

BLRingler new member

Unloaders are bulky, I am currently looking at reviews for non-bulky unloaders, but they are that way by design. Sometimes I double-up on the compression knee support at work or traveling. Thanks for the response, I might be out of luck with thinner unloaders.

B~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Seems to me, the longer we avoid surgery, the longer the pain and disability continues.
    I was queen of a avoidance.
    Man I love me new knees. As the song goes...if I could wind back time!!!

5. KenUSA36

KenUSA36 junior member

I use a Fusion OA Lateral brace that helps push my valgus knock knee back slightly mostly when I'm doing long walks or have a day where I'll be on my feet a lot.

It's bulky like you say. I need to wear a pair of jeans 1 size up to fit them under. These things don't fit well under normal pants or slacks.

I usually wear it with khaki shorts these days from like April-November haha.