Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

TKR oregonlass post TKR - bionic accomplished

oregonlass

Country
United States United States
Hi All,
Here I am happily on the post-TKR side of the forum. The surgery went smoothly and my surgeon is pleased with my outcome. It was rather surprising to come to realize I was in surgery. The nerve block was doing its job and I couldn't feel a thing, but a bit unnerving to hear the sounds of "work in progress." The anesthesiologist was sitting by my head and talked to me letting me know they were about to close. After. my surgeon told me they had to work a little slower as the bones were a bit "soft." Recovery was quick and I was ready to go to my room before they were ready for me. :) As with my hip, I got great care. They actually had me up and I went for a walk less than 4 hours post-op.

The only issue was nausea from the oxycodone. When they reduced the strength from 10 to 5, I was fine.

Now on day 5, I find I don't need the narcotic during the day and am doing fine on ibuprofen.

They sent me home with a sheet of gentle stretches to do and they don't seem to cause much pain. The ice machine is amazing. My husband has been helping with setting it up for daytime and nighttime use.

Because I'd had a problem with the compression socks when I had my hip done, I got some for home use that has a zipper in the outside and they are available in different lengths. Being short, this was a real blessing. They give me the compression but not the nasty pinch behind my knee. So much more comfortable, I ordered a second pair so I can rotate them instead of using the thigh-high TED socks. I had talked with my surgeon about this and showed him what a pair looked like. He is onboard for this. They did give me a stretchy wrap to use above the stocking on the surgical knee.

Really glad I pushed to get some quality healing food in the freezer. Dark greens etc. aren't on my husband's radar.

Hope all you other recuperators are doing well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome to the other side @oregonlass . You know the drill. Sounds like you are doing very well.

I'll leave your guidelines here in case you need a reminder:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
Knee taught me a lesson last evening. I had gone without daytime narcotics for the 2nd day in a row. By evening my knee and thigh were hurting significantly more and more swollen. I elevated, iced and backed off on everything else. I took more narcotics during the night and one this morning. The pain was down. Swelling was lessened. Yes, the narcotic made me nap this morning but since I didn't sleep well, I shut-up, quit trying to be a hero and let my knee be in charge.
I saw my husband slipping backward trying to take care of me and tried to do more. Obviously, that isn't going to work.
I've got pulled chicken in the freezer, but hubby isn't much of a cook. He should eat paleo, but prefers carbs. Need to find myself a part-time kitchen helper.

Starsfan22

Country
My husband is the same, why do they think after a week we should be back to normal? My husband doesn't even recognize what a broom looks like.....we had a talk before my second knee date and he assured me this one would be different. He is my kitchen helper but a weak one.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think both you ladies need to try to turn a blind eye to some of your husbands' inadequacies as housekeepers and cooks and let them carry on doing their job of looking after you.

It won't hurt if a few dust bunnies gather, or if you all eat a less-than-ideal diet for a few days.

This is your time to be waited on - it's what your knee needs - and let someone take care of you for a change.
Don't feel guilty for making your husbands have to do some extra work. Why shouldn't they, after all? You would do the same for them if the situation was reversed, wouldn't you?
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
Mine wants me to adopt his circadian schedule and it's tough as he is a night owl and likes to sleep in the morning. When I take the evening pain pill...I'm ready for bed. Even if I don't sleep well...normal for TKR, my body wants a change of position in the morning.
Maybe if I transition to the recliner with leg elevated and on the ice machine then take a pain pill and nap so he can go back to bed for a couple of hours? We'll sort it out. He went through this with my hip replacement so knew the drill. I don't think he realized how weak he still is from the January auto accident. Nasty business, near head on.

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
@Celle... you are right., of course. I've been taking care of him since the accident. Did what I had to do. Cancelled my knee surgery and took care of him. Knee didn't like it and caused me lots of problems. He feels guilty about that and encouraged me to get this done.

I know it boils down to men and women work on different time schedules. Women...mostly when we say it will be done or before. Men...sometime this century when they think of it.

To his benefit... the man has learned to measure ingredients and put them in the breadmaker. Loaf #2 is baking as I type. Motivation? He likes home-made bread.

I may need to find some outside garden help to get things checked and harvested which is hard for him to do as the ground out there is uneven and he has minimal garden experience. Hate to miss out on those tomatoes and the fresh corn ;0 Anyone need apples?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I know it boils down to men and women work on different time schedules. Women...mostly when we say it will be done or before. Men...sometime this century when they think of it.
So very true!
I've had three knee replacements and each time I had to curb my impatience as my husband did things on his time schedule, not mine. That usually meant that mealtimes were way off any organised system, with lunch sometimes as late as 4 in the afternoon and dinner about 9 p.m.

I learned to keep a few crackers beside me, to nibble if a meal seemed far away, and we both got through it. Since my sleep times were also way out of whack because of my surgery, having crazy meal times didn't seem to matter as much.

My husband was a civil engineer and he insisted on recipes, not my "add a bit of this and that and see what it tastes like" style of cooking.

One recipe stated "2 or 3 carrots, grated". He came to me innumerable times with questions:
Him: Is it two or three carrots?
Me: It depends on the size of them.
Him: Here are the carrots. Shall I use two or three of them?
Me: Well, they're quite large, so two should be enough.
Him: Which size hole should I use on the grater?
Me: That size works best.
Him: It says chop the onion. How big should I chop the pieces?

And so it went on, with multiple questions about all the ingredients. Sometimes, I just pretended to be asleep! The meal ended up late, but quite tasty.

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
@Celle - Men truly are from Mars and Women from Venus. We think differently. I see it all the time in my marketing work. Department heads are men. While they may think their target audience is men...95% of all purchases are directly influenced or handled by women. It's mind-boggling to think how much more effective those departments would be with mixed teams or female team doing the marketing to an audience they understand much better than their counterparts.

SpaceGirl

senior
Country
Welcome to this side of the recovery! Glad to hear you're doing pretty well, I would stay on top of the meds if they are helping you. Swelling and pain is no fun! I love my ice machine, I am 9 weeks out and still use it daily. Not nearly as much as the beginning but I find that by the end of the day I am achy and want to ice. Best wishes on your recovery!

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
@SpaceGirl, Thanks. I'll take that to heart. The ice machine is so much better than the bitter cold of ice packs. I also got the inflatable version of the Lounge Doctor for leg elevation and found that made a big difference last evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starsfan22

Country
Mistake I make is I expect hubby to know what I need and when I need it. I need to just ask, I know he will help.
Switched to cane today and added floor bike, maybe too much. I found the pillow elevation method works better than the foam lounge they sent me home with.

amynewleftknee

Country
It is hard to depend upon husbands for jobs you’re used to doing. I wrote very detailed directions for my morning coffee, but everything else was his way! I’m 8 weeks out tomorrow and at 5 weeks he injured his back and I’ve had to assume most of our responsibilities since then! Cooking, taking out trash, kitty litter, cleaning up, laundry... Ge feels bad he’s not helping me as much, but he’s in lots of pain, so life is less clean as we try to concentrate on taking care of our recovering bodies!

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
@amynewleftknee really sorry to hear about that setback. There is a neighborhood sales and service Facebook page. I'm thinking of looking there for some outside help that will help us do the stuff that neither of us should do. Have a neighbor with kids.... maybe she'd like to pick the apples for having most of them, sort of thing.

Food is the hardest. Have some frozen pulled chicken, frozen ground beef, etc. If I buy pre-cut curry kits, maybe hubby can help me put those together. I know he can fix a hamburger. Just need to think creative.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:@oregonlass
Saw you on the knee side and wanted to send my well wishes for an uneventful recovery.
Thank goodness your husband is doing well after such a scary car accident.:flabber:
Healing hugs, hippy pal.

Oregon mom

Country
Have you checked out the Nextdoor app for connecting neighbors? It can get a little snarky sometimes, but I've found so many helpful things by reaching out to neighbors.
We have an Italian plum tree in the backyard that will just make a tremendous mess if not gleaned. And 2 neighbors (strangers... But I know where they live ha ha...) have come by with paper bags and picked nearly all of them. You could probably trade the help harvesting with a trade in fresh produce. I know I'd come over and pick for some of your tomatoes if I could!

OP
OP
oregonlass

oregonlass

Country
@Oregon mom,
I was thinking along the those lines. My neighbor did come over. We probably have 2 more weeks on the grafted apples and the corn.
Our deck is level with the interior so I sat in a porch chair and harvested small cherry tomatoes. Fall garden is in containers on the deck so I can enjoy some sun and thin the carrots or gather baby lettuce. Pleasant thoughts.
I also planned ahead and do have pulled chicken in the freezer along with soup. I got a kitchen stool so I can sit and help hubby with food prep. He does well with a bit of guidance. Made bread maker bread on his own yesterday.
By the weekend perhaps we will try stew or curry,

Oregon mom

Country
Stop! You're making me hungry!
That sounds really nice. It's great to hear about how you are adapting while you recover, with the stool and helping hubby make bread. :SUNsmile:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lalu
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom