THR Oregonlass...on the road again<

I use the gps on my Apple Watch. It's not "accurate" in the sense that it reports exactly the same mileage for the same objective distance every time, but it's close enough, and I like the fact that it records each day's mileage so I can pull it up weeks later and look at it. Which is a thing I do.

My standard for recovery has been a lap around a local outdoor shopping area (.3 miles), and a lap inside a local mall (.5 miles) - as I feel like it, I add laps. There's also a block around my house (.3 miles), but it's hilly, with an uneven sidewalk, so it's a slightly more advanced level of difficulty that I haven't quite mastered yet.

Once again, I love your specific reference to apps and gadgets! Thanks!!

Six week post-op visit. No more TED socks. No more aspirin therapy. Okay to drive. Walking great. Doc pleased. Now just need to work on the muscles and tendons that tightened up due to the pre-surgery pain. Walking, stretching, etc. Lots of little don’ts have gone away.
It’s exhilarating.

Spoke to the PT about getting up off the floor. He said it is fine, all about core strength so to make that easier, work on core and arm strength so I can push myself up off laying face down and leg strength to push upward if my husband is helping me stand. I’ll be taking that slow and careful, no rush. With lateral incision and no knees, it’s just a body strength issue and not crossing the surgical leg over the opposing one.

I can take steps without the cane but the surgeon cautioned me to take it easy - only 6 weeks. When I’m walking with zero limp with or without the cane...then I probably don’t need it. Now can start moving the surgical leg outward laterally to slowly start strengthening the muscle... Humm.... not in any rush ;)

Using the walking sticks really was a big help and I may use them for outdoor walking to keep myself from bad ergonomic habits.

Still using my special blend of supplements to get longer stretches of sleep with no jumpy muscles. Getting sleep has been my most appreciated blessing post op.
Wish each of you out there equally good success. I’ll still be around. Another doc visit in 6 weeks. Planning on going to a convention end of March. Las Vegas so lots of walking. I’m averaging about 3200 steps a day now so I should be in good shape. May get airport help depending on the connections.
Hugs to all of you!!!!!

I am so glad to read your post
It is very inspiring and motivational
Hope all will continue to be well and on track:flwrysmile:

@Layla is soo right about magnesium. I've been using one that is in a powder formula with collagen powder, lavender, bergamot (both relaxants) and 325 magnesium with great boosts to sleeping longer and no more muscle twitches.

It was working so well, I felt so good, I forgot to take it night before last. Bad move. 20-30 minutes after going to bed the muscle twitches started and wouldn't quit. About an hour later, it dawned on me I hadn't had my "tea". I'd had no luck in bed or on the recliner. So I got up, fixed and drank the tea. Then back to bed. I don't know how long it took me to go back to sleep - not very long...and no more twitches.

Listen to Layla!!! Check out magnesium. The article is very thorough and there is lots more on google. I thought I was getting adequate but check your dosage. Just because there is a trace in your calcium or daily, doesn't mean you're getting enough unless you're Popeye downing multiple cans of spinach (or other dark greens, etc.) per day. Plus stress drains magnesium out of your body. Well, there we go... us??? under stress??? LOL

3 out of 4 nights I'm getting 6-8+ hours sleep. Thank you Layla!!! Thank you magnesium ;)

Happy Saturday @oregonlass
I'm so happy the Magnesium is working for you!
Nothing better than a good night's sleep and especially not being suddenly roused by muscle cramps.
Enjoy the weekend and sleep well! :yawn: :sleep:

Happy update!!! So I’ve been using the step counters to monitor my progress. First it was 300 steps during the day, then 1000 steps, then 2000. Step counting has been a biggie in my wellness lifestyle. The total number of steps works just as well to total health as a long duration walk. Since I work, that was good news. And short walks break up the work-sitting lifestyle so help keep you moving.
I’ve been using the same thing post-op.
I am a “commercial-cruiser”. Commercials come on or as I shifted back into my home-office work style..I used my phone alarm to remind me to get up and move. Yup, that initial stand up might take a moment or two to get solidly vertical, but then even loops around the house counted.
By last week (5 weeks) I was up to a a daily average of about 3400 steps. Monday I did 5000 steps. How did that happen. Tuesday, it was 5485. I couldn’t believe the total. Today, as always, I turned off the sound and tucked my phone in my pocket during PT. Post PT “You’ve done 6000 steps”. I had forgotten to take anything, so did take an ibuprophen when I got home and did some gentle muscle stretches. No side effects. No stiffness. I feel great.
Yes, I will take my magnesium blend and an anti-inflammatory at bed time along with stretches, but if you just slowly build, your progress may surprise you as much as mine did me. Woo-hoo. This doesn’t count the visit we made to the grocery store on the way home to stock up on supplies.
So appreciative for all the support and want you to know if you take it slow and easy you will get there just as fast or faster than pushing it and making things hurt. Hugs to all you rock stars!!!
And for any of you in the UK or Scottish - Happy Robert Burns NIght! we will be doing a classical gathering here. Here to my love - my red, red rose, and Auld Lang Syne.

Great posts coming from you! So encouraging to those of us on the pre-op side still. I can't find a step counter on my android so really considering a bracelet (just don't want to spend $200+). I also plan on using magnesium as I already get muscle twitches on occasion. It's actually something I have mentioned to my doctor and am surprised now he never mentioned magnesium! Thank you for sharing!
:flwrysmile:

Great update! So very happy for you.
Your post is inspirational to those following behind you.
Now I need to go look up who Robert Burns is? :shrug:
Hope you have a great rest of the week :)
@oregonlass

Layla, how could you have forgotten this old "acquaintance"

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And days o' lang syne?

I didn't realise they have a Robert Burns Day however.
Cool!

Hmm :chinstroke:you learn something new every day.
I looked good old Robert up yesterday and somehow missed that little fact.
I see it now at the bottom of oregonlass's post. Guess I wasn't understanding that he wrote it.
Hope you had fun at your gathering @oregonlass Wishing you a great weekend too!

In Scotland Robert Burns is as much or more a national icon than any king or soldier. He was progressive, worked toward social reform in much the way Aesop did with his stories... and he had a way with words that won the hearts of many “a Bonnie lass”. A man of his time, it seems all the ladies forgave him including his truest love, his wife Nancy. In the US, we know his poems, but his personal history is even more fascinating.

@Carriemay60 On your Android phone, go to your App Store. On my husband’s phone I used a google search for Android apps. A bunch of different ones came up. They were free for the basic versions and they were even rated. One of the ones I use was on there, but I think it had a different name. The keywords I searched were “step counter”. Good luck!!!!!

So good old Robert was a bit of a skirt chasing, philandering, womanizer, Rico Suave type I'm taking it....he made the rounds.....Mic drop :heehee:
Guess I just chewed him up and spit him out. How in the world do we transition this into recovery?
Hope you are doing well today @oregonlass Looks like you're coming up on 7 weeks already. I'll bet you're feeling pretty good. At least I hope so. Enjoy the weekend!

6000 steps, woo-hoo!

Could you post a description of your stretches?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back