BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Oregonlass...on the road again<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by oregonlass, Dec 9, 2018.

1. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

United States United States
    @SurreyGirl - They do have the wrap around crutches here - just don't find them on every corner like the underarm crutches. We have the same issue with what to do with walking aids when you're done with them. I found two rolling walkers for $40USD on an online classified. My husband cleaned them up, detailed them to new working condition. He has the spare one hanging in the garage and we'll sell the other.
    Folding walkers and crutches are readily available not only in stores but in what you call charity shops there. So pretty easy to recycle.

@Carriemay60 - Ah yes, the bowel issues. Constipation is something they talk to you about in your pre-surgery classes and tell you to get prepared for with whatever works for you. The surgery, narcotics, and inactivity can all contribute. My surgeon told me that when I went in for surgery I was borderline anemic and the surgery topped me into being anemic so to take iron tablets. Great... they too add to the problem.
    I found lots of suggestions and sort of knew my system.
    Yes, you can get Senokot here.
    I had picked up the suggested stool softeners and made sure I had prunes, prune juice and some herbal tea for the issue. They've all gotten me through without any serious issues.
    Note: magnesium can also be a laxative so keep that in mind as you create your home care. Knowing now that many people are deficient in magnesium, I might have started taking it well before surgery along with my other supplements.
    Walking sticks - great idea and I will ask about them. Might consider ordering some on UK Amazon and have them shipped to my mother-in-law's rather than fight with them in travel. I'm sure she'd just let me keep them there... and goodness knows, she'd be welcome to use them if she wished. I know she does have problems with a knee.
    Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Had my PT session today. #1 point of discussion - the hamstring issues. After very gentle touching, which felt like anything but... pressure point massage maybe...all of the muscle groups are super tight from glutes down. Worked on isolating glute from the hamstring muscles. He asked if they had me on anti-spasmodic meds and I told him I don't tolerate the meds. So lots of very gentle stretches and revisit walking. It is hard to separate the glute from the leg muscle in contraction but he says that's the one that is actually weak - probably from that being the leg/hip with the arthritis problem and babying it to get around.

I also have a 2 hour session this weekend with a medical massage therapist that specializes in undoing edema and gently relaxing muscles. She has worked on me before and broke up my carpal tunnel scar tissue in one visit - though those tendons are also complaining from cane and walker use. Slow and easy. I wouldn't trust just anyone to do this without putting me in agony. She did some work for me pre-surgery and had me moving and walking better than I had in months in less than 30 minutes.

Transitioning from walker / crutches to a cane? Here's what the PT fellow told me:
    When we use UK style wrap around crutches, walkers, other crutches, we actually take at least 25# body weight off the limb. Initially, we can lean on them for support and take of a lot more.
    Using a cane only takes off 5 to 7 pounds. So canes put a lot more weight on the healing joint plus they make all the muscles work a lot harder... probably all making my problem worse although I did have muscle twitching before surgery.

RX: walking sticks! TYVM @Carriemay60 for mentioning them. He went and got some and since I'm not super coordinated, it will take me a bit to get the rhythm with the core support, butt tucked and a dash of glute contraction with each step. No, I don't snow ski...did I mention coordination? But AHHH... I could end up with sculpted abs, a tight tush AND walking smoothly.

The best news - hubby can make them for me and I will be nudging that along. All you need are supplies from a home improvement store. A pair of 3/4" dowel rods 48" tall with rubber feet on the bottoms for stability. Hold them near the top and walk with them like two canes opposite stick moves forward with diagonal foot. My husband was watching and he said I was much more even on my legs - as opposed to hips trying to compensate for the surgical leg that is still healing.

I noticed my thigh bone didn't feel uncomfortable as it can in the evening using the cane.
    Sounds like I'm going to be a biker-chic. Hubby says vintage motorcycle red sticks with motorcycle grip handholds ;) (yup, he's into bikes.) LOL those might be good for the local walks but maybe not my travel fashion statement.

If you're into massages, or jetted tubs these might also help to get those leg muscles better relaxed before surgery - or once your healed inscision allow it...so you can avoid the dreadful night twitches.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Happy one month hipversary!:flwrysmile:

One month out can be the most frustrating...post op blues and cabin fever.
    Emotions all over the map...seems like the initial shock of surgery..subsequent adrenaline "I made it" period...followed by alot of "is this temporary?" :sigh:
    This too will pass...I think you have done splendidly!
    Keep the faith...better and better @oregonlass :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Great news about the hiking sticks and making them is even better! I know Walmart and medical supply stores carry the rubber feet up here. I think using those will be my goal as I come off the walker this time. :spin:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hiking sticks worked for me once I came off the crutch. Because of the height of them I don’t stoop and have to tuck my bottom in and squeeze the glutes. I still carry a collapsible one in case I get tired and on hills.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Nice post, oregonlass Thanks for updating.
    Happy One Month Anniversary. Wishing you great progress over the next month.
    A lovely Thursday to you! :SUNsmile:
    @oregonlass

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Thanks for all the warm and fuzzy posts you guys. They really do help.
    @Mojo333 ... I think you are spot on. "is this temporary". Our brain may try and say yes, but the inner voice is saying "yah, sure...doesn't feel temporary."

Since I don't tolerate the RX antispasmodics, I finally found an OTC that seems to help relax the muscles. Slept, in my bed for SIX hours before I transitioned to the recliner and went back to sleep. (Longest since surgery, normally a couple of hours.)
    For those tight muscles: relaxing stretches, massaging the area with a muscle balm and then taking something orally was the blend. I used more balm and Tylenol at 5 when I woke and actually went back to sleep.
    As with it all, the trick is finding what works for you.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh my stars...how jealous am I?
    Didn't get one of those long stretches of uninterrupted sleep for much longer out post-op!
    Isn't that long restorative sleep just the best!
    Better and better to come!:happyfeet:

• Like Like x 3
  9. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Had a near disaster last evening...small loose area rug that dear hubby had put where I go back and forth with the rollator to minimize the tracks in the car apex :(. Stumbled walking on my cane but managed to catch myself. Tender spot or two. Took Tylenol and used some balm. That darn rug is no longer in high risk area and next time he is out of house... it may disappear.
    That said, got another wonderful blessed night rest. A few of these and I’ll feel like a real person again. Feeling so fortunate. :sleep::sleeep::sleeep:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Oh, NO! :yikes: So scary to almost fall.
    So happy you caught yourself.
    Try some ice if you're still dealing with discomfort. It's great for pain.
    Great news on the sleep you're getting. Wishing you another good night tonight :yawn: :sleep:
    @oregonlass

• Like Like x 2
  11. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    So scary to stumble. Small rugs and anything left on the floor are definitely potential hazards. Unfortunately so is bending low enough to scoop that carpet so you can burn it while he's out. :scare: I always do a bit of a purge when my husband is away on business so it will be gone with the bin collector before he gets home. He usually notices and throws a little fit but at least the neighbours haven't had to witness him picking through the garbage :loll:
    You are doing awesome with your sleep!

• Like Like x 2
  12. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

@Carriemay60 you are absolutely right about picking things up off the floor and I can’t stand stuff on the floor. I have grabbers in the bed/bath and in the living area. Long term, I may stash another one or two around. They (and shoe horns) are the most useful tools in the kits they sell.
    Never did figure how to use one of those sock thingies without stretching the heck out of your socks. Fortunately, my husband is good about helping with the TED socks. He has to wear compression socks so is really good at getting them on and off but he says the technique is different for putting on someone else. He also reminds me, regularly to be checking them for binding.
    The sleep has been an amazing blessing. I actually spent the full night in bed last night - no recliner. But my butt told me to get up after 8 hours. The dog loved it. Snuggled up to my rear most of the night. :doggie:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Klassy

Klassy senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank heavens you survived the trip, scary for you! Congratulations on the good night’s sleep, doesn’t it make a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

• Like Like x 3
  15. Layla

That sounds like heaven!
    Sunny drive to the coast for fresh seafood!!
    I'm JELLY :tantrum: Not Peanut Butter and Jelly, not Jelly Fish just plain old JEALOUS :heehee:
    Happy you enjoyed it :yes: I hope your Sunday is lovely too! :SUNsmile:
    @oregonlass

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @oregonlass the hiking poles are wonderful. I used them after crutches for both hip surgeries and am still using to help get my gait sorted out. Hope your hubby can make them for you. If not there are some great ones that aren't very expensive on Amazon :)

Sorry to read about tripping over the carpet. Amazing how items like that carpet disappear from time to time when hubby is out :heehee:

Your trip and lunch out sounded glorious!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @oregonlass I a beyond jealous of your trip out! I grew up on Vancouver Island and so miss the fresh seafood! We used to put crab traps out on the bay in front of my mom's house and hit up the docks to catch the fishermen coming in for salmon, etc. Living down east for now due to hubby's career but the closer I get to the coast the better in retirement! (We have a daughter & grandson in Vancouver, WA)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

You guys, this is an AWESOME sequences of tips you have running here! Wow! Really practical advise - nicely done, @oregonlass, @Carriemay60, et al.

Although I shan't be sharing the tip about trashing your spouse's proudest, fondest, most favoritest belongings while he's traveling....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Thanks all for the great vibes!!!! There is nothing like a sunny day at the coast to restore your ions, your spirit and your smile. And it’s a real bonus if the wind isn’t blowing you all over the place. We didn’t try to get down the sand or the beach...it was enough to drive through and enjoy.
    I’ve seen both east and west coast as well as some of Europe. Nothing like the Pacific Ocean and it’s a lovely drive from the valley over there. My husband finds it primeval and enchanting. Nothing like It back in UK.

Some people go to the coast and fill up on pizza, hamburgers or steak...for me, nothing like fresh caught seafood. Cod, salmon, Dungeness Crab, Razor clams, halibut.....sign. I could truly go on a sea-food diet... you know the one. See it and eat it. I only live a bit over an hour from there and we get it fresh here... maybe it’s the sea air.

@Alton - Yes, hubby did make my walking sticks. He even topped them with a pair of motorcycle handle grips which I’m getting used to. They definitely make a huge difference in ease of walking and my gait. Just that bit more and I don’t favor the surgiclal leg. I’ve been practicing here in the house...hubby is concerned I’ll get farther than I can get back. So if I have my steps and duration up, I eliminate that issue.

• Like Like x 6
  20. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Do any of you use a step tracker?
    When I was deep into the 10,000 step thing...in the days before hip issues and to build up knee strength, I bought a Nike band to track my steps. Unfortunately, it wasn’t very accurate and sometimes didn’t record steps if it didn’t think they were countable. Then it died 1 month after warranty expired. Not going that path again.

Found there are a couple of great FREE apps you can download on your phone. I’ve been using these a couple of years now and found they outperformed the expensive band.

Following surgery I found that they gave me an idea of how many steps I was taking around the house.
    The orthopedic center gave very general guides for each 2 week period following surgery. They included try for these daily life goals. Week 1 might have been like 300 steps around your home. Then slowly building up but reminding people it was okay to take longer to get to any level.
    So being slightly A type, I like to track.

All you need is a smart phone. All the apps use the phone’s built in computer and GPS system. I thought one was failing me so downloaded another and they both give me exactly the same step count. Depending how accurate the information is that you enter about your stride, and other personal details, you know about how far you went and other feedback you’d like to have.

I’ve used it to catch myself from perhaps overdoing but also as a personal monitor. A way to see where I am from before surgery. Not comparing myself to “before” life. Not yet. Just a more immediate marker.
    Your steps will be a daily total although I think you can also track specific segments. I haven’t used all the features.

One is called Accupedo, the other Pacer. Pacer has more features and a paid version that allows you to do a lot more tracking. I think Accupedo also has a Pro edition. But the free versions will give you daily step, time and distance totals, a chart of your step history and lots more fun stuff. You can also give yourself personal goals and it will celebrate as you meet those first 500, 1000 or however many steps you want recognized,

So there you go. A fun tool to use or lose.

• Useful Useful x 3