BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Oregonlass...on the road again<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by oregonlass, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @oregonlass it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page where it says "write your reply" and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I just did! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

United States United States
    Saw my PT for the first time on Wednesday. After all I’ve heard here, I was a bit nervous and ready to dash. But she again evaluated how I was moving. Did some balance checks to see how I was coming. Left hip still wants to shift my weight to the right so ergonomics not very good. She did have me walking toward a mirror so I could see and get a feel.
    We also worked on some stretches for hamstrings and just relaxation - nothing to bring on any pain.
    It was definitely more of a workout to walk with the cane and my back told me about fighting the tendency to limp. So today I took a step back. I want to dump the walker as much as anyone, but I sure don’t want / need my back or hip to yelp at me. So I’ve been carefully walking tall with my walker - and not allowing myself to grip the handles for support.. I really don’t need that. Instead palms flat on the handle just for balance and walk slower to practice balance. I can feel the difference. Maybe I’m cowardly, but it feels like a natural progression. I can feel where I’m using my core to walk tall, but nothing hurts. Hubby says I am near “book on my head” alignment so that is..I think, a good thing and physically better for me.
    My hope is to keep doing this during the next few stormy days and see if it doesn’t lead me full circle back to using the cane in a more physically normal way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think that is a sensible plan @oregonlass :) :-) (:
    Not quite one month out from getting your new hip...I think you are doing just fine.:tada:
    Listening to your body is best.
    Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Happy to report I’m now using a cane at least around the house. Hopefully, will be able to transition to that for outdoor walking soon. They had me try cane at last physio but I could tell the hip wasn’t so sure about that so been doing transition practicing for balance and alignment. Hubby says I’m now better with cane :). YEA!!!
    Rain forecast for next week so hopefully by next sunny day cane and I will walk outdoors even if it is a short one.
    Down to 1 nighttime oxycodone and a couple of 500mg Tylenol scattered at night as needed. The pain seems to be tied to tight hamstrings which when I lay down complains a lot. The oxycodone an hour or so before bed seems to get me past that.
    Doing hamstring stretching and a couple of other muscle relaxing non-straining exercises to get muscles to just relax. A muscle relaxing massage is starting to sound good. Anyone had any issues with post surgery massage?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Take it slow with the cane, as I'm sure you are. The first day I tried mine and got the hang of it, I got a bit too enthusiastic walking around the house practicing :happydance:I ended up on my recliner most of the next day, I'm sure engaging different muscles and being tensed up a bit is what wore me out.

I haven't had a massage since my THR but I'm sure others will stop by with advice.
    You're doing great! Keep it up. I hope you have a wonderful week :SUNsmile:
    @oregonlass

• Like Like x 1
  6. KathyB

KathyB junior member

@oregonlass Hi, I just started using my cane more inside the house. I still use the walker when I first get up as I am stiff for a little bit. I also use the walker towards the end of the day when I get tired and notice my gait starting to fail using the cane. It does take concentrated effort to walk correctly. Sounds like you are doing great. Have a great week. Hoping some of the rain makes it down to us. We had a lovely much needed rain last night.
    @Layla I totally agree with you about introducing the cane slowly. Different muscles are used and I also was sore the next day after I first used it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. Klassy

Klassy senior

Hi @oregonlass . Congratulations on your transition to cane. That’s a great milestone!

My physio doesn’t believe in canes, just said go from 2 crutches to 1 to 0. That’s fine by me, as I felt that a cane would be less stable than a crutch. So it’s good to hear you are coping well with yours.

Hope you have a great day!

• Like Like x 1
  8. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

It’s funny how hospitals and physios vary so much - I didn’t get the option of crutches - straight onto sticks which seems fine if you have one good leg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

@Klassy, Thank my friend. My husband pointed out to me that in the UK most of the crutches aren’t the up to your armpit ones they commonly use here in the US. The are lower arm supportive sort of wrap around. So they seem to me they would be more stable than the tall crutches and much easier on all your stairs.. I found the tall ones an absolute nightmare on stairs. I agree the cane is less supportive.

Only negative is the cane makes the leg muscles work a lot more. I knew my leg was a bit tired last night. 1864 steps all here in the house single level. Just putting along, no pain and felt good. Hadn’t been in bed 30 minutes when the thigh muscles of both legs started jumping and twitching. It physically caused my legs to move and jerk, again and again. Finally gave up and moved to recliner but all that did was buffer my husband from the twitching and maybe a bit more supportive.

Kept me awake for hours. I had taken an oxycodone and Tylenol about 9:30pm. They didn’t do a thing for it. I had also been doing gentle hamstring stretches during the day and before bed. I think I may have finally gone to sleep near 4am. Didn’t bother with morning Tylenol. Can feel the hamstring tightness down back of surgical leg below the buttocks and trying gentle heat and stretches. The doc had given me something for spasms when I came home from the hospital as I had the problem before surgery...but I didn’t tolerate the med.
    Gees. Not sure where to go from here.

Mother Nature isn’t very nice letting you think things are getting better then pulling a trick like this. I could use some ideas.

10. Layla

Hi there, :wave:
    I realize I mentioned this before in your thread (Post # 17) but consider looking into the supplement Magnesium for the spasms. Especially given whatever your doc prescribed didn't work. It's a natural alternative and you may be pleasantly surprised. It also aids in falling asleep and staying asleep.
    Wishing you a week of comfort and healing!
    @oregonlass

11. Klassy

Klassy senior

Oh no @oregonlass , so sorry to hear this. I had a night of the jumping legs and it was awful. It did pass after only one night, so I hope you find the same. Layla gave me the magnesium supplement tip; not having any to hand or easy way to get them quickly, I googled foods containing magnesium and ate everything in the house which ticked that box. At least it was an excuse to eat dark chocolate. Another tip was tonic water containing quinine, and I’ve been drinking that every day.

Other than that I can only suggest going back to the walker until symptoms have gone, then ration yourself to very small number of steps with the cane, say 100 first day, a day off, 200... And gritting your teeth and saying “this too will pass”. I had a less than great night last night, though not as miserable as yours, and was comforted to be told a slump at the one month stage, where we are, is normal. Mother Nature can indeed be a cow (with apologies to cows) but we will get through this.

I hope you get other suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Klassy

Klassy senior

PS yes I have the crutches with cuffs above the elbows. I’m sorry these aren’t an option for you, but it does seem most people get on Ok with the cane eventually. The armpit style of crutches would be a nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  13. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

@Klassy, Occasionally, we do see the cuff crutches like you're using, but they are much rarer and seem to be mostly used for those with long-term problems. I'm better today but can still feel the tight hamstring.

At Layla's reminder, I actually checked how much magnesium I was getting. What a joke. I was sure it was in my calcium... but only 1 mg. THANKS @Layla!!!!! I needed that reminder!!!!!

What I did discover was the collagen powder I'd gotten, which is also supposed to help with relaxation has 325mg magnesium in it. The suggestion is to add to water, tea, juice or mix in food and it really does dissolve.
    They have another form with no taste I've put in coffee and it just disappears.
    This one has lavender and relaxing herbs for sleep which I hadn't decided on the taste so wasn't using regularly.
    But.. Starting tonight, I'm all over this!!!!!!
    Also saw that several forms of magnesium help with constipation so will be monitoring to keep that balanced.
    Feeling hopeful!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Layla

You're welcome!
    Magnesium comes in many forms and personally I use Magnesium Glycinate
    because it's my understanding that it's the easiest form to absorb. It's also gentle on the stomach. Unlike other forms it may not cause as many side effects such as upset stomach or loose stools.
    I hope you have a great week!
    @oregonlass

15. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@oregonlass Go easy on transitioning to the cane. You are right, there is less stability. Your muscles are still recovering and asking them to take on more is bound to make them complain.

Can you get elbow crutches in the US? I found using one was very convenient and I felt totally stable.
    elbowcrutches.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

I've seen them. Usually, one sees them on a person who has a permanent challenge. Normally, they give you the option of under the arm crutches or the walker. Not commonly found in the charity shops like the others are.

I am getting stronger and taking it a bit easier and trying to tune-in to how the steps feel. If I can feel the step in the bone of the surgical leg it's feet up time. I have the walker handy and can use it... might be smart to stay with the walker for outdoor longer walks. I'm approaching .5 mile in steps... but they are short walks in the house - loops where I can stop any time I want/need.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Magnesium - I found a product that is a multiple collagen + magnesium + lavender and bergamot to be used at bedtime. For my taste, they could have included less stevia. The magnesium is the hydroxide variation. So far no discomfort or side effects but I will be watching and I have been using other things to deal with the bowel issues that I can cut back or eliminate. It's a powder I add to hot water and make a late evening tea. Will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Sounds like you have this sussed with the indoor walks. The uk elbow crutches were great for recovery and using two to aid alternate stepping whilst feeling completely secure. Shame we can’t ship them to America as hospitals don’t seem to like taking them back!

I can’t imagine using the other type, they would feel unnatural to me. The physio at the hospital had us moving from the walker to the crutches within 3 days and I found them so much easier helping FYI keep my back straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @oregonlass Hi, I've been reading your thread and taking notes as you seem to be taking a pretty smart approach to your recovery without trying to be a hero. I will definitely be looking into the magnesium as I get closer to my second surgery. Jerky limbs when you are exhausted are nothing short of a nightmare.
    I noticed you mention bowel issues a couple of times above. Assuming that is constipation, I wonder if you can get 'Senokot' (also known as Senna glycoside) in the States. It's a natural stool softener. I have issues now and again due to painkillers and if I take one at bedtime I am back to normal by morning without any "sudden emergencies"! I do not find it causes any stomach upset or cramping.
    Also ask physio about the walking sticks for hikers. They are great for balance as you progress.
    Keep up the great work on your recovery!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Seem to have entered the hard to sleep phase. Relaxing tea and a Tylenol before bed. But when I do go to bed I just lay there.
    Been careful not to over do but as I relax the muscles start twitching .
    Moved to recliner but no better. Tired but can’t get to sleep :(

Turned into another very long but not restful night. Awake every hour or so with hamstring wanting stretched or whatever it wants. Now it feels like my butt has developed pressure points so even recliner isn’t all that comfy. Poor hubby, I know I kept waking him up and we don’t need both of us sleep deprived.
    They’ve talked about depression here but that’s not something I’m prone to. However the constant twinges are having a not only physical but emotional impact. Feeling cross and can only define as “hormonal”. Don’t cry easy but would love a good sad movie that might help me purge. Have work that I need to get done (I’m a content writer...have laptop will work,) but it’s harder to focus and forget the cheerful business marketing...might want to slap someone...
    Whew, thanks...think I needed to vent. Can’t decide if I need a hug, chocolate or a pain-free nap.

I am scheduled for my weekly PT visit at the center. Topic du jour...hamstrings. I am taking the magnesium but don’t know how long it takes for impact. Lots of stretches including during the night.
    Have a question for Josephine that may be too product specific...can’t find how to reach her privately.