BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Oregonlass...on the road again<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by oregonlass, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not bad for 3 weeks out
    Okay
    Goood
    Excellent!
    Sounds like you have that all fixed!

I guess you missed the "BIG TIP" that was in your recovery guidelines? It goes thus

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I mean this - it's not necessary at all.
    I'd suggest you declined the PT for the reasons given above: if you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

• Like Like x 1
  2. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

United States United States
    Thanks Mojo333!
    I appreciate your feedback and more comfortable with upping the late evening night meds. I never took anything more than first Advil, then some liquid hemp before had to switch to Tylenol pre surgery - no prescription pain meds.
    I was just sitting here re-reading comments and thinking about the pain pattern. During the day I’m fine. When there is discomfort its in the low range so I’m good with how I’m controlling that.
    It’s that end of the day that it has accumulated on me so by bedtime, I’m miserable. Solution? Start evening pain therapy earlier even if it means taking more.
    I think a lot of us skim the drug info on the handout sheet the doctor sends home... or it doesn’t penetrate a brain that doesn’t want to read it.
    Think I just deciphered another key in the info. Doc’s info talks about both 5 mg and 10 mg of the oxycodone but only a script for the 5 mg. What I missed was the little (...) info... 5mg (4-6 PS) and 10mg (7-10 PS) as well as the frequency which I’m way below.
    No wonder that I needed the 2 - 5mg when I had the problem.
    I need to be more aware of “when” that evening pain starts and address it immediately using whatever works... instead of trying to wait for some sort of arbitrary schedule that I planned based on a clock - not my body. That just puts me behind the pain curve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Thanks Josephine!!
    Appreciate your feedback.
    Think addressing my evening pain sooner - rather than ignoring or putting up with... and not being concerned about taking one more oxycodone so I can rest is probably the other part of my resting well.
    I am fully prepared to walk from the PT. My hubby will be going with me at least initially. At this point, I want to see what it is they want to do...but I really just want to be able to get in and out of doors safely and take a nice walk in this lovely mostly FLAT neighborhood.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

It works!
    They send us home from the hospital with the mantra of staying ahead of the pain. But...as we start down that healing path and notice less pain, I think it is easy to start thinking differently. I learned the hard way...that is a mistake. Keep listening to your body as it heals... 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and beyond. Listen to how it feels and what it is telling you and act on it before it gets bad.
    I recall the nurse in the hospital saying the longer you wait...the more it will hurt and the longer it takes to get under control. Yup! She was absolutely right then...and it’s the same during the healing process.
    Whether it’s a morning Tylenol, ice, movement or a pain reliever...our bodies really know what they need...but it’s so easy NOT to Listen.
    Re-read your take home guidelines. Ask the great supportive people here. Listen, evaluate, take action.
    Your reward may be a better night sleep and a quicker/smoother healing process.
    My best to all of you wherever you are in your journey.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Nice post @oregonlass
    Listening to our body is key.
    Wishing you only the best on your journey.
    You're almost 3 weeks post op already. Moves rather fast. At least I found it to move more quickly than I anticipated.
    Happy Saturday to you....hope you have a great weekend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Josephine

I'm pleased to see you reread the Recovery Guidelines, specially the one on pain management. It's quite possibly the most important advice we offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

A big AMEN to that. I am no hero. I am no martyr. I am listening to my body and trying to keep it happy. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

If you’re in pain, take the meds. Although this was my second THR, I had to be reminded to take the meds as prescribed, not when I felt pain. At about 3 weeks, it wasn’t an issue to stop and just go to Tylenol. As so many here say, you know when you need the meds, and when you start forgetting to take them, you’ll know to stop.
    Remember, your job is to heal, not be heroic. ( I’m sure I borrowed that from someone here. . . ).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    @Atkinson8
    Are you still wearing the TED socks? And at nights?

10. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

My doc requires the TED socks for several weeks. PT said he would probably release that on the next follow up visit. I take them off once or twice a day for an hour or so, then back on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Well done on getting your pain managed! Staying ahead of the pain at this stage is the key to increasing your mobility. Still early days but you are doing great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Josephine

That's a very questionable thing. TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009 I was originally told to where them for several weeks but they hurt so much (actually too small!) I took them off on day 4. My surgeon saw this and said not a word! Turns out the time requirement was imposed by the ward nurses, not him! I did wear them for knee #2 because they were full length and a more appropriate length so they were actually comfy!
    Big difference!

• Like Like x 1
  13. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

I did note a big difference from one leg to the other with the TED socks. The surgery leg was obviously more swollen so the sock was tighter and I had to watch it wanting to cut in on the back of the knee. Fortunately, my husband had been through this process before and helped me keep a good eye on them and keep making adjustments during the day so they didn't get a chance to bind. Interestingly, the replacement pair that I bought so I could have clean reserves were the same size but fractionally larger and more comfy. Have to agree a tiny difference in sizing makes a big difference in comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  14. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

QUESTIONS & Planning for travel.

Hamstring stretch question... some of the pictures it looks like it exceeds the 90' angle rule. Any comments on this? I'm just 3 weeks post-op. Have found walking is my best friend but can feel some tightness in different spots after. I allocate that to the healing process.

Must be feeling better as I'm starting to think about our annual visit to Yorkshire to visit hubby's family in late July. It's a very long flight from west coast US no matter what route you take. We tend to fly into Amsterdam and then take the hopper to Humberside, (about 14 hours total.) I know I need to check options with the airlines.

My hip is making progress and I'm hoping the not-in-good-shape knee will settle down. I don't think there would be adequate time to try and have surgery and rehab on that also before we go.

Last year we stayed with hubby's Mum, but like many pensioners, her place is very small and the accommodations weren't very friendly to a bone on bone hip and angry knee. The only way to access my side of the bed was over the top of dear hubby, (size XL) and it was... umm interesting. With new hip that doesn't even sound smart.

Thinking of Airbnb, or VRBO, but no way to know what the stairs will be like - steepness, rails (or not), etc. No one seems to talk about accessibility or issues. So I thought I'd ask if I'm being a paranoid US visitor... how do you UK natives or other intrepid travelers handle this sort of thing?
    From what I've read, it may be smart to take a folding cane even if I don't need it for most stuff. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

15. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

I live in the UK and have not had any problems with stairs anywhere since I got my new hip.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Josephine

Well that would include the one sitting on the floor for sure! So I suggest you try one of these instead

hamstring 1.JPG hamstring 2-horz.jpg

or this was my personal favourite

calf muscle stretch 2.JPG

It's not - it's your hamstrings.
    It will be around 6 months so wait and see. But if you're not 100%, I suggest you get assistance in the airports. Flying soon after surgery
    No it doesn't but you might be alright!
    Sorry, I don't know what these are.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Airbnb and VRBO are private properties who rent to individuals. We happen to do it out of our home. Airbnb has been around for close to a decade and gives you more of a home feeling than a hotel room. And you have access to make your own meals...if you wish. We love meeting people and it's been quite fun. Also, act as a home base for business travelers. They can also be significantly less expensive than an inn or hotel.

18. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Oregonlass, if your knee is in question maybe it could help to get a copy of your xray and see if PT can help your knee and prepare for the trip to prevent painful knee issues. Diagnosis and prognosis could give you peace knowing the treatment for the knee. If not already have the info on the knee injury. In my case, knees seem to be a common issue after THR for many reasons. Many great exercises in water therapy as a gentle way to help build up muscle tone in the whole body.

Walking was the best way for me to get my hip in shape for the trip to fla. usually within a few months. Stairs are not a issue for hips. Knees can be tricky. 5 months after THR I took five days walking through Disney, Epcott and Bush gardens. Rode all the rides. Airplane trip across the US to Florida and back.

The knee issues I had were identified and PT helped prepare the knee and strengthen the muscles. Had THR done at Oregon Health and Science University. Exercises helped my knee and hips as well as a sleeve over the knee. And really most important was to build up the core strength and my endurance.

You just had major surgery and it takes time to heal and regain confidence. Just walking every day can help until the trip. Enjoy and have a great trip! Something wonderful to look forward to ...you lucky hippie! Ps...ya gotta see the KEW gardens.

Knee issues and spring shoes helped take off the pressure per square inch from each step. the knees and hips as you walk with a good heel to toe gate improves balance and posture. Always gets my knees/hips and back... back in shape as well as specific exercises for diagnosed knee injury. It’s a great exercise just practice walking in spring shoes.

One of my knees has a torn meniscus, both hips had IT band micro tears and psoas muscle tears from hip surgery. Then do my exercises put my spring shoes on walk, walk, walk with no pain because they take the pressure off the joints and it has been a great help for my knees and hips for many years. It’s great exercise for both hips and knees and back. The hip must heal first before spring shoes and when you're well on your way to walk with no walking aides, then spring shoes may help reduce the pressure per sq inch on the joints. Just wanted to share something that has worked for me for many years.

Sending the best of my experiences from two hip replacements and one revision to help you enjoy your healing journey and maybe just maybe make it just a little bit easier!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019
  19. Klassy

Klassy senior

It’s exciting that you are already looking forward to your next holiday!

Re access to bed over hubby, is that because you each have an accustomed side? Could you fix that by switching head and foot of bed over? I mean move pillows to the other end. But maybe it’s safer not to have xl husband climbing over you!

I always prefer to Airbnb or rent self catering if possible when visiting relatives, despite extra cost. Maybe that’s just me, but I like to be able to retreat to my own space. I’ve stayed many places in uk and as long as you steer clear of the particularly quaint historical buildings I don’t think you would have trouble. I’ve always found that Airbnb hosts are very helpful in answering questions, you could ask them to FaceTime or Skype or send video of the access. Often people have created a selfcontained annex on the ground floor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. oregonlass

oregonlass junior member

Thanks Klassy! I've not done Airbnb in UK but have done self-catering, bnb and inns..including some lovely very old properties. If I can handle access in them, this should be doable. This was really helpful!!!!

The spare bedroom at his Mom's is in such a tight space there is no way to walk around it. She crawls across it to make it.
    Since I do need a place to get some work done (my lapotp+ internet access) a private spot sounds really good. It would be a business expense and I think it would be really worth it. I might reserve something for the bulk of our trip and limit our stay with her to something short since we don't sleep well there. Sorry, we're spoiled. It's a double bed and we're used to a king.
    We are toying with getting ourselves a little spot there in UK and renting it when we don't need it... I think in the back of my mind, I was thinking of its access. Railing, but steep stairs up and then stairs down 3 steps into bath. But I did it with my bad hip and no cane last summer. One can't help but wonder what the market would be for a place that was "easy access" in today's UK world. I think it would do well here in the US and am going to talk to Airbnb about it.

• Like Like x 1