THR OR date set today and I'm NERVOUS

hopnfox

Country
United States United States
I finally made my decision to get an anterior LTHR on Oct 19, and I'm so nervous I'm sick. I had originally planned a posterior, but once I saw the size of the incision, I changed my mind. I had lower spine surgery in January, and have had upset muscles on the left hip/rear end area, so figured an anterior would be better. I'm terrified I will not walk right, mess up the implant, do something stupid, and be ruined for life. Am I totally over reacting?

Hello and :welome:. You are not over reacting, you are afraid of the unknown. This is completely normal. Try to remember that even though this might be new to you it is one of the most performed surgeries and the surgeon and staff are well trained in the procedure.

There are many of us here who have gone through the nerves and the surgery and recovery. I am going to leave you some reading. Also, read some of the wonderful stories here with people recovering and getting back to a pain free life.
HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hi @hopnfox
:welome: to the forum.
I can imagine after a spine surgery in January, you aren't "excited" about the prospect of a hip replacement.
Boy, I'm sure glad I had mine fixed as it has definitely given me my life back.
I'm terrified I will not walk right, mess up the implant, do something stupid, and be ruined for life
I'm glad I was too busy getting some work things in order and had a short wait time from diagnosis...if I had contemplated all those possibilities I would have made myself sick too.:unsure:
I had bilateral anterior 3 years ago and am ever grateful for the surgery.
You will do well, and finding this support forum was a true godsend during my recovery.
Think how good things can be more often than the what ifs.
You've got this!:friends:

:wave: @hopnfox and welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. We've all had the same feelings you're having, to some degree, it's only natural. For now try to concentrate on getting your space ready for your recovery. Leejaa left you some really good info on things that will be useful. A lot of the things you'll need are probably going to be pretty similar to what you needed after spine surgery.

Hopefully this surgery will help clear up some of those upset muscles and such. It really is amazing how much referred pain you can have and not realize where it's coming from. We're here if you have any questions and definitely here to support you.

I had spine fusion at L5/S1 four years before my hip replacement last summer. Took my doctors a while to agree that the pain I was having was caused by my hip and not my back. So, hang in there, you'll get through this too.

I was thinking I'd just have the hip joint cleaned out, and be good to go. I've been so emotional this week...so stupid. I'm afraid I won't horseback ride again, or the pain will still be there. My husband sent me this forum, and I'm so grateful. I've learned so much, and read the stories, and am amazed of what folks have been through. God bless you guys! Glad I've got a place to go to get advice, and folks to lean on. Thank you!!

I believe there are folks on here who have gone back to horseback riding eventually. I am glad you found us. The people here got me through all my joint replacements with advice and laughter when needed.

I echo all that has been said already. We were all anxious and apprehensive before our surgery. But on the positive side, this is one of the most performed and most successful surgeries there is. You can check with your doctor but others on here have gone back to riding a horse. After my surgery, I was told my only restriction was no bungee jumping. Recovery times for both types of surgery are pretty much the same from what I’ve read on here. For now you need to think about things you need to do to get ready for surgery. Reading the pre-op and recovery threads on here was a huge help to me and gave me good tips on how to be prepared. Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes. Keep us posted and ask any questions you might have. There is always someone who has already dealt with the same question. We are here to help and support where we can.

I think its natural to have anxiety and fear, especially after just having another surgery. I scheduled mine 2 months out because I made up my mind that I wasn't going to leave the office without scheduling. It was the last day of the schedule they had. During the wait, I wondered why I was doing it, worried, planned and read all I could here and other places. Today I am 8 weeks and 2 days post op and feel like a poster child for hip replacement. My surgeon is skilled with good outcomes and I am happy with my decision. It isn't easy, but doable. Lean on this forum and other supports you have. You can do this!

@hopnfox My friend if you have had lower spine surgery I can confirm recovery from THR will be a walk in the park compared to that recovery. I had spinal decompression and was also dreading my LTHR based on that experience. So I put off the surgery for far too long. Big mistake as waiting did more damage and made my recovery longer.

THR recovery is so much more straightforward - especially if you stick with us here and let us support you. We'll give you all the guidelines and be here if you have questions or concerns. You won't regret having this life changing op!

Hi @hopnfox :wave: First of all, I love your picture with your Paint. I used to have a red roan paint, 16.2 hands and used him for long trail rides. I don't have a living situation now where I can have a horse but occasionally we still ride with friends and my two THR's work wonderfully for me.

It's not uncommon to have those doubts and worries.. I worried so much beforehand and similar to you, had numerous back issues and worried about the effects on that.
I can honestly tell you that I haven't felt this good in years! So many of my back issues are much improved and I am so thankful for living in a time when this kind of surgery is so successful.

Try to keep yourself busy and focus on prepping your home and your recovery room, the last couple of weeks started zipping past quickly for me and I wish this for you, too. :SUNsmile:

Thanks everyone. My horse is no longer with me, but he was a fantastic TWH. We always called him "Mr Dependable" as he would do anything! Such a loving guy! I still have 2 others that are loving horses as well.
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone going down this path. I've started gathering some things I'll need, and thinking about what foods to prepare and freeze. I would welcome any suggestions/recipes:)
I feel much better about this now, but I do wonder about the anesthesia. I DO NOT want to wake up in the middle, but I also don't want to have an upset stomach.
My back surgery was not that bad...it was the 2nd time I'd had my L4-L5 cleaned out. It will be nice to not have hip/butt/leg pain any longer...definitely looking forward to that!
Thanks again!!

Hiya,
I found my worries about the anesthesia were really unfounded. Nice sedation, then the spinal (no memory of that at all) more sedation, then wakey wakey in recovery. Definitely not the nausea one gets with general. I was nauseated from the pain meds but was given an anti-nausea med which helped a lot. I’m 3 days post-op now, resting, icing, elevating, and hobbling around on the walker. Every day is a little better. I think we were all anxious before hand and you are in good company.

I have a sofa with recliners on both ends, will I be able to sit in this and recline back? Every where I look it says a straight back chair. How uncomfortable!
Thanks

but I do wonder about the anesthesia
You will be able to discuss your concerns with your anaesthetist before your surgery. Just tell them you don't want to see or hear anything. They will watch you throughout the procedure and keep you in a nice, comfy sleep.

Recliners are great for recovery. Many of our members use them to sleep in for several weeks post op. You can't sit on very soft furniture just post op. It's too difficult get up from a seated position. Get yourself a firm cushion to use on any soft furnishings.

I think the only concern with the sofa recliners is whether they sit high enough for you to comfortably get into the recliner and then, most importantly, get back out. Some members put lifts, or boards under the chair's feet to raise it a bit. In your case it would be the full couch that needs lifted.

I rented an electric lift chair. Best money spent for my recoveries. Back to the horses... he was a Tennessee Walker? Wow, I bet he gave you an incredible ride.
A gaited horse would make returning to riding much more pleasurable. But maybe your other horses aren't.

Dear hopnfox,

• Fear is not your friend however normal it may be. It won't help you prepare or manage afterwards. Remember why you decided to do the anterior THR and trust that. If you trust your surgeon and his team, that will help. If you need to ask them questions, be a squeaky wheel and ask. They want you to keep your surgery date. Is there anyone coming to help afterwards? That is a morale boost as well as a practical boost in helping you dress and move when everything is still sensitive.
  • I am almost 3 weeks post-surgery and still fearful about popping out my hip because I'm the anxious type. I realize that if I "move consciously" just a few more weeks, a lot of the worry will dissolve and the hip won't pop out. And I wish you well.
  • As an anesthetic, I had propofol which I had used successfully for colonoscopies. If there are anesthetics you think work for you and those that don't, tell your anesthesiologist. Your time to speak up in my view. That helped me.
  • The only nausea I have had is from the only time I had an opioid (just after surgery) and I wished I hadn't. Tylenol and Advil got me through all the other times, and I've been off those for a week now. Thigh is sore but not more sore than a sore muscle and I can handle stiffness. The pain that sent me to surgery is gone.
  • Use a straight chair and/or I think it might be the time to buy a chair that you have confidence in and might use post-surgery. One or two indulgences may be appropriate about now in making you feel prepared.
  • I too am told that I can ski, ice skate, lift kids and do almost everything except skydive. And I may revisit that. Am negotiating light jogging (for future).

Best,
Lovestojog

My other 2 horses are TWH as well. I ride my husband's horse and he is certainly a glide ride! He takes soft short steps and is the perfect horse......except when you are on the trail and he knows we are headed back to the trailer. He walks extremely fast but is quite manageable. He's so silly! At the ripe age of 19, he acts like he is 10.
Thanks so much for your responses, I was in alot of pain yesterday, so I know now it's a must have. I'm too active to not be able to live life as I want to.
Have a great Sunday!!

I'm planning my post op care, and am wondering how long I will need someone 24 hrs/day? My surgery is on a Monday, and I'm hoping my hubby can go back to work the following Monday....what are your thoughts?
Thanks

As long as you're doing all right, that will probably be possible - after all, some people come home from hospital to live on their own and look after themselves.

You won't be bed-bound. You should be able to get out of bed and back in again, and walk to the bathroom and kitchen by yourself before you're discharged from hospital. You should also be independent as far as toileting, although it may be wise not to shower unless your husband is around, to give you support if necessary.

You won't be able to drive, so make arrangements for someone to drive you to appointment and PT, if you choose to go. Also stock up your pantry with non-perishable foods and pre-cook and freeze some dinners.
Think of easy snacks that you'll be able to get for yourself at lunch-time.

If you have any pets, make arrangements for help with them at first. Cats are easy, but you won't be able to take a dog for a walk for a few more weeks. You will need help for outdoor animals.

Make sure that you always carry your phone with you wherever you go in the house, so you can phone for help, if necessary.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom