BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

OpPrep Log

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by MrDIY, Aug 25, 2018.

1. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

United States United States
    My surgery is scheduled for October. I have about 6½ weeks to prepare. I have decided to set some goals for myself in preparation.

I would like to be as strong and healthy as I can going in. I would also like to lose some weight. Less weight to carry in recovery, and I firmly believe that being stronger and healthier will aid recovery. Obviously there is only so much you can do in 6 weeks so I must be realistic.

Goal 1. lose 6 pounds. That’s a pound a week which should be achievable. My current weight is 214 so 208 should be my “fighting weight” .

Goal 2. reduce my waist by 5 inches. I have noticed in the past that I typically lose about a half an inch off my waist for every 5 pounds lost.

Goal 3. continue strength training 3 times per week. Squats, Deadlifts, overhead press, chin ups, Bench press and rows. Due to my issues with range of motion I have to squat to a box set at about 19 inches. The bottom position of the dead lift also can cause discomfort so I have been pulling from pins. Press and bench are unaltered, though the bench is pretty uncomfortable for my hips. I have found that lifting has been beneficial to my hips with regards to my pain experience. Though it can cause a rough night’s sleep sometimes due to local inflammation of the hips I presume. It’s somewhat of a balancing act between too much and just right so I have been taking it slow and altering the lifts as needed.

Goal 4. do cardio 30 minutes 2 times a week. This will be done on stationary bike mostly as it doesn’t seem to cause any issues.

Let’s get it on!

2. Going4fun

Going4fun junior member

Sounds great ... I'm a little worried that you remind me of myself ... in that I sometimes set really unrealistic goals ... and don't follow through ... One thing I'm learning to do ... is to focus a little less on "the goal" and more on the day-to-day behavior and schedule that will lead me to the goals. What days will I exercise? What time will I go to the gym?

What exactly will I eat or not eat ... how often ... and so on ...

But yes, the surgery is a great deadline to set up a healthy challenge. I'm having surgery in two and a half weeks and I'm off to the gym in a few minutes to do some cardio ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Yeah that’s true. I will be lifting Th, Sat, Mon. Cardio Sun, Tues. Actually posting from the gym right now
    (I work out in my garage)

I track my calories in MyFitness Pal. Current goals are 230g Protien, 160g Carb, 58g fat 5 days a week
    230g Protein, 250g carb, 58g fat 2 days a week. I’m good Monday through Friday but tend to waiver on the weekends. Starting with alcohol and everything goes downhill from there! After a couple of drinks I’ll eat any and everything.

Have a good workout.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Never a bad thin as far as getting fit and losing weight. I couldn't comfortably ride a bike from the ROM. Along with all of that it's good to practice the very basic PT of stretches and flexes. One good reason is to see the ROM improvement. I couldn't believe how much further I could move my leg lying on my back doing abductions (snow angels). Upper body strength is also handy to raise up from chairs,bed and the commode.

5. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

What are the basic PT stretches and flexes? I only went to the PT once. He basically said, “there’s not much I can do for you. You can keep coming in and I’ll just have you ride the bike for 10 minutes and do some light stretching but I don’t think we are going to be able to improve anything.” So I didn’t return, I can ride my bike at home for free, while listening to better music!

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I guess as a responsible Mod I need to add a bit here. Most people waiting for surgery will not have the mobility or stamina to do any pre-op fitness or weight loss. Please don't feel this is needed. MrDIY is lucky to be able to either work through the pain or have the mobility to do all this. Everyone has their own pain threshold and most of us did not have this level of mobility.

Good luck @MrDIY !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dlp

dlp member

Weight loss can definitely help. Since last Xmas, I was able to drop about 20 lbs (so far) before surgery and definitely noticed a difference with recovery for hauling my butt into bed, etc.

@MrDIY Pre-surgery, there are stretches you can google and add them to any strengthening (even just body weight resistance) and your muscles should be in a better, stronger place post-op, hopefully easing recovery. I think they definitely helped me with this second recovery, as I'm feeling a lot stronger the second time around.

(As Jaycey points out, YMMV! :) )

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  8. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Stamina has to be built up over time. My stamina isn’t great but it’s slowly getting better!

I would not recommend pushing through pain at all. I have found that to be extremely counter productive. It causes worse pain, and tends to lead to frustration and depression. I tried doing that and it was horrid.

I have altered the main lifts to the point where I can do them without immediate pain (meaning pain while doing the exercise).

For squats, this means setting a box to a level that I will not go below. I can do these and not have pain. As a result my squats are pretty high for squats, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Due to my lack of mobility it still takes me somewhere around 10 warm up sets before I can even touch the box with my butt! Once there is enough weight on my back, I could squat to pretty much a standard squat depth by letting the weight push me down there and not controlling the descent, but it hurts... A LOT.

I went through a period of about a year where I was limping all the time, in agony, I would cry and be really depressed bordering on suicidal all a result of being in denial and pushing through pain. For dead lifts I have found that the position on the floor causes problems, so I have raised the bar about 4 inches and I can lift it from there without having stabs of pain in my right hip.

Press I can do unaltered because it only requires standing straight. Benching is pretty uncomfortable for my hips but not to the point where I feel I need to alter the lift...yet. Overall I have found that strength training in this manner to have a net benefit. I do experience more sleepless nights due to hip pain on days whe I lift, however when I have gone without training at all, I have found that I have more frequent hip pains and the pains are higher on the scale.

I don’t think I have a high pain threshold, but I do think that strength training overall helps to lower my overall pain experience. Not always though, sometimes I have bad days. Some nights I feel like I don’t sleep at all after lifting that day. But I have sleepless nights anyway.

My mobility is pretty poor. I just try to do what I can.

Thank you!

9. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Anything involving bringing my knees to my chest causes a painful twinge and my legs have to pretty severely externally rotate while doing it due to impingement.

Edited to add. I agree. I think that weight loss has had the most profound effect on my daily pain. I lost about 30lbs since last year and it helps not carrying that extra load all the time!

10. dlp

dlp member

I can't easily do all of them either :) Generally 7-12 from the first link were easier for me, some of the others not so much. Now that I have 2 good hips, we'll see how it goes in the future!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MrDIY, it all sounds good so long as you don't plan to do any of that in Goal 3 after your surgery! Remember this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

12. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Ever?

13. donnybasbl

donnybasbl new member

I don't want to speak out of turn, and my surgeon is not conservative, at all, but he specifically mentioned to me that my squatting and deadlifting days are done once I get the new hip.

14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good on you I guess:shrug:
    Why squats and dead lifts?
    I lost 20 lbs the year prior to surgery and I do think it made my recovery smoother to an extent...
    I worked on upper body strength so I could reposition myself and not feel so dependent...with all due respect...the squats and etc sound like overkill.:sigh:
    You will need to work yourself into "I can't work this into better" mode, or you will have a horrific time with the all important "rest and be patient" part of this recovery.
    This will not be a DIY project ....:nah:
    All said with concern and heartfelt well wishes! :curtsey:Just want to be honest though!:friends:

15. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Really? My surgeon said I could do whatever I want. The only thing he recommended against was excessive running. To use his words, “I wouldn’t recommend becoming a career marathoner.”

16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I can do anything I want now that i am am healed up.
    I didn't see the benefit in torturing my already tortured hips prior to surgery...but if it makes you feel better than certainly we all are different...pre-op and post-op.
    ..unloaded trucks all morning...now Im good.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. dlp

dlp member

Same - I also got told "No bungee jumping" :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

That makes a lot of sense!

19. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Squats and deadlifts are the most effective lifts for strengthening the body as a whole. Both lifts involve the entire body in the chain. Because they stress the whole body, they cause the whole body to adapt. This means not only stronger muscles, but also stronger tendons, ligaments and increased bone mineral density. Bone mineral density is important especially as we age. Falls in elderly populations more often lead to breaks and fractures. This is due, in large part, to reduced levels of BMD. And they mimic real world movements unlike machines. If you pick up a box from the floor, you are performing a deadlift. You squat all the time to sit and get up. Lean body mass has been shown also to be a predictor of mortality as has strength.

That’s a good idea. I’m doing bench press. Overhead press chin ups and rows.

I appreciate your concern! I will try to keep myself in check!

20. MrDIY

MrDIY junior member

Yesterday’s session
    Squats to box at ~18.5”: 3 sets, 5x195
    Notes:
    Took a lot of warm ups to be able to touch the box. Was still 2” high at rep 7 with just the bar (according to wife)

Overhead press: 3x5x125

Chin ups; As Many Reps As Possible in 8 minutes (AMRAP 8):

Last night tossed and turned maybe a little less than usual. On scale of 1-10. With 10 being great nights sleep I estimate it was a 6. Had a couple episodes of right hip painful involuntary spasm/contractions/electric shock episodes.

Today:
    30 minutes light (could carry on conversation) cardio on stationary bike. On my feet doing laundry and dishes for a while. Extended time on my feet seems to be a prime cause of irritation as I was starting to feel it after an hour. this was before cardio. First minutes of bike, right hip was complaining a little. Settled down for the most part after that.