THR Operated Hip Bulges

BJM5861

Country
United States United States
Greetings,

I have noticed that my operated right hip bulges out further than my left natural hip. There is a clear difference in symmetry. I don’t think it has anything to do with swelling because I am now on post-op day 40. It’s hard to the touch, not spongy like swollen tissue would be.

Is this a common thing or not?

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. Congrats on your new hip. Please leave the date of your surgery below so the info can be applied as your signature. It's helpful for those who stop by to comment to see how far along you are in the recovery process. Thanks in advance.

I'm not really sure about the the bulge you describe. My best guess would be that it's swelling, but you maintain it doesn't feel that way. In the event that it is, consider icing for the next few days, several times per day, for no less than 45-60 mins per time and see if you notice a difference. I'm wondering when your next post op is? If it's concerning you may want to give your surgeon a call. I'm sure through conversation with a member of his care team they'd be able to offer you some reassurance, or move up your next post op appointment if they feel it's necessary.

Please find the Recovery Guidelines below. Many articles will still apply. Stop back often, we'd love to support and encourage you as you continue to heal.
A great week to you :wave:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Another thought...
Do an online search for Seroma and see if you feel it may apply.
Also type Seroma into the SEARCH bar above, far right, and threads where it's been mentioned will show up.
@BJM5861

I'm at 5 weeks post op today. The area around the incision is harder than normal tissue but it is getting better. It's not as tight and hard as it was even a week ago.

The side of my thigh feels different. I think it has something to do with muscles and tendons being stretched a little while adjusting and adapting to the THR. At present it feels somewhat unnatural but it is getting better.

Does this sound familiar to what you are experiencing?

:wave:and welcome.
I like BruceH's description...I felt like I had a prominent bulging at the hip but since I had both done, symmetry was retained.:heehee:
I feel like it seemed obvious to me for many months, but all normal now.
I kept the ice going when at rest even if when it didnn't appear to be swelling.
Hope today is a Good Day!

Hello @BJM6831 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Thank you very much for your replies.

My surgery was on 1-8-2020.
Another thought...
Do an online search for Seroma and see if you feel it may apply.
Also type Seroma into the SEARCH bar above, far right, and threads where it's been mentioned will show up.
@BJM5861

Hi Layla,

I looked up Seroma and that’s not really what I feel is occurring. But thank you for your help! My second post-op visit is this Friday. I’ll ask my surgeon about it then. Whatever the cause at least it’s not painful in any way.

I had my surgery on 1-8-2020.

I'm at 5 weeks post op today. The area around the incision is harder than normal tissue but it is getting better. It's not as tight and hard as it was even a week ago.

The side of my thigh feels different. I think it has something to do with muscles and tendons being stretched a little while adjusting and adapting to the THR. At present it feels somewhat unnatural but it is getting better.

Does this sound familiar to what you are experiencing?

Hi Bruce,

I’ll be six weeks post-op this Friday so you and I are pretty close. What you describe about muscles and tendons being stretched might just be what’s going on with me. My second post-op visit is this Friday. I’ll show my surgeon then and ask him about it.

Thanks!

:wave:and welcome.
I like BruceH's description...I felt like I had a prominent bulging at the hip but since I had both done, symmetry was retained.:heehee:
I feel like it seemed obvious to me for many months, but all normal now.
I kept the ice going when at rest even if when it didnn't appear to be swelling.
Hope today is a Good Day!

Glad all is back to normal for you, Mojo333. And thank you for your icing advice!

I don’t think it has anything to do with swelling because I am now on post-op day 40.
Sounds like post op trauma to me. 40 days out is still very early in what can be a year long journey. Does icing help ease this?

@BJM5861 hi, I also had my THR on 8th Jan and my hip is also quite hard on one side of the incision. It’s not as pronounced as it was in the early days so I’m assuming that as the healing process continues it will decrease. A week ago I couldn’t put any pressure on the scar at all but last night in bed I managed to lie on it on my side for over an hour. It is a long slow recovery process but every week I find I’m doing something I couldn’t do the week before. My next big challenge will be going stick free indoors, hoping for that next week:egypdance:

Best wishes for your appointment in Friday @BJM5861
Let us know how it goes. It's still pretty early into recovery. Hopefully your surgeon reassures you it's all part of the healing process.
A peaceful evening to you!

@BJM5861 I hope your Friday appointment is productive and helps ease your worries. This recovery takes time and patience, for sure.

@BJM5861 hi, I also had my THR on 8th Jan and my hip is also quite hard on one side of the incision. It’s not as pronounced as it was in the early days so I’m assuming that as the healing process continues it will decrease. A week ago I couldn’t put any pressure on the scar at all but last night in bed I managed to lie on it on my side for over an hour. It is a long slow recovery process but every week I find I’m doing something I couldn’t do the week before. My next big challenge will be going stick free indoors, hoping for that next week:egypdance:

Hi Lilli,
I mentioned the bulge to my doc yesterday during my post-op visit and he indicated it would go away in time. Time will tell. It’s not anything painful for me, thankfully.

Like you, I am also able to do more things as time goes on. I was released from my 50% weight bearing restriction yesterday after my 6 week post-op. Been using a walker the whole six weeks. So today is my first day using a cane. Sounds like you’ve been using a cane already for a while. I had assumed that most people who get the press-fit implant are under the same weight-bearing restrictions, but maybe not?

Anyway, wish you well!

Hi @BJM5861

Surgeons and the support teams seem to have different ideas on what to do when. I have no cement, no screws, all press fit with bone growth for fixation. I was on full weight from day 1.

My walker instructions from hospital OT were to use it for stability but not for support. In fact they got on me for supporting my weight with the walker while going down the hall to the "obstacle course". I was deathly afraid of putting all my weight on my just operated on hip. I was afraid of doing alot of things but the OT had me do them and to my surprise my leg didn't fall off, lol.

I graduated to the cane sometime during the beginning of week two. Most of my progress has been up to me. I haven't been assigned PT but I was given a few exercises that are helpful. When it came to driving I was told that once narcotics aren't being used it was up to me to decide when I could safely operate a motor vehicle.

How is the cane working out for you? I find that I have to really concentrate with it and purposely go slow. If I go at my normal fast pace I'm hobbling more than walking. If I slow down and concentrate I walk in a more normal fashion.

Hi @BruceH

That is intriguing how different the support team post-op recovery ideologies can be. I even had a screw installed in my press-fit and was still told not to put full weight on the implant. My walker instructions during the first six weeks were to use it as a support with my 50% weight restriction. I happily complied with the weight restriction because I was mortified that my implant would loosen.

The cane was awkward at first. And yes, I had to go slow, too. But after quite a bit of experimentation, my technique is much better. But I do still have to concentrate to keep it more natural. I’m working diligently to build up my strength. I find that I can walk without the cane now, but only if I take very short steps. Initially, when I would try to take longer steps without the cane, it was harder for me to keep my hips square because of muscle atrophy. But I can feel that changing as my hip gets stronger.

It’s still too early to tell, but I’m beginning to suspect my gait will be different than it used to be.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean about press fit. My stem was just hammered in and my cup is held with a what looks like a wood screw into my pelvis. I didn't have any weight bearing restrictions and like @BruceH the walker was for stability.
Smaller steps will change to longer as the muscles rebound. Working on your gait is tough with a cane,never seem to stand up straight enough. For me the best walking aid in the early weeks was a shopping cart. I could focus on standing straight and heel toe walking. It takes time to stretch it out and get your gait back.
As far as a bulge I didn't have a bulge with the rt. but it felt hard on the side of my thigh, it slowly went away. On my left I had the opposite, I've got a visible indent, I think they left some of the stuffing out.

@Eman85 Not sure who you are addressing but I used the term press fit also. What I meant by that is the acetabular shell was impacted into place.

I had LTHR July 11, 2018. My hip is definitely different in feel than my real hip. It was recently xrayed and is totally fine. Seated perfectly. Absolutely no issues but it sticks out a little further than real hip. Only noticeable to me feeling it. Just different. Like a hard ridge.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back