Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hugh

No I'm not using a CPM machine we don't have access to them in the UK sometimes you can get them at your PT appointments but it isn't worth as you are only allowed 30 minutes sessions each time.I ice lots after and before my physio I use gel packs so I use them until they are no longer cold and then try moist heat if the pain is still the same.
My surgeon said to just take more meds but like you the side effect of this is terrible constipation I have upped my Oramorph but that makes me feel lousy but rather that than the pain!
Thankyou for the support xx

Natalie,
This is a terrible subject but one I will tackle. I have never used Oramorph and after seeing it is a suppository I don't think I will. I was not familiar with the constipation caused by pain meds of the narcotic variety so I started taking them without a stool softener or laxative and the pain was like passing a sharp edged brick (one lady on here said concrete). It was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. The woman who said concrete, has had two children and she said it was far worse for her. Needless to say I started taking both a softener and a laxative and after three days of hell I got ok. But I'm now taking more of the pain killer and that seems to be having an adverse reaction on the constipation........damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As to the CPM not being available in the UK, that is a real shame. You only use it during the first two to three weeks after surgery. The purpose is not to make you strong as it offers no resistance, but when you come out of the hospital it would be hard to move your leg back and forth for six hours a day. So the CPM does it for you. It works great, I went from a ROM of 55 degrees to 135 degrees in ten days. The PT is for building up the muscle and strength in your leg.

Hope you got my email this morning ok. Take care and think positive.

Hugh

Hi Natalie. Perhaps just doing the little you do in your house can/does take place for the other excercises prescribed.

I did the heel slides post-op. In regular Dr.'s office Pt (talking about 2-3 weeks out), actually they didn't do heel slides. Reason? Because patients complained too much. So they snuck other things in I suppose.

Otherwise, some excercises I can think of is getting a sheet, belt, leash, etc. and while in the bed, wrap it around your foot grabbing the ends with your hands and lift your leg up and down slowly. May give your muscles a little trigger to work. If this hurts, you may want to do it after you've taken your pain pills. Sheet would probably be more gentle for you.

Another gentler excercise that comes to mind, is since squats are tough, if you have a large excercise ball, set it against the wall and sit on it and gently move around. That will give you a little movement.

Just one other, is getting on your bed, and if it's near a wall. if you can get your legs up on the wall itself, and creep them down using your feet.

As you can see I'm including both legs in these as I am Bilateral.

I know you are in pain and I apologize if any suggestions don't work out.

I think fingers crossed I have found a solution to the constipation as well as the stool softners which give me horrible belly ache a friend suggested and bought me some sugar free sweets they work a wonder :):thmb:

Helen thankyou so very much I don't have the ball but I will try the wall ones and the stretch with a sheet and see how I do with them I will give them a go after the next meds and let you know how I get on :)

Hugh - translation: sugar free sweet = sugar free candy

May have sorbitol or something in it which causes the 'other' way.

Creative solution Natalie. Glad you found something.

Take is easy! Big cyber ((((hugs)))).

Thanks Jaycey :)

Hubby has just got my pedals out of the attic for me and even though I couldn't do a full rotation on them it felt like a great stretch :)

Hi Natalie! :D

I am in a similar position as you in terms of ROM. I had gotten to 122 but now it has gone way down due to the infection in my femur. I am probably at 75 now. It kills me to bend it, and pain meds don't help. I know how you feel, so keep on working with the gentle exercises and you will do well. :thmb:

By the way, what is "Tea time," and what time do you have it? Some of the customs "across the pond," are different from the US and I find them very interesting!:D

Natalie,

Yes losing the bend in my knee is very frustrating, but I am hoping that on Thursday the Dr. will have a great solution for the osteomyeltis that I have.:wink:

Hey Rebecca I'm ok in a lot of pain as I was at physio today and for 30 minutes she pushed my knee till she got it to 90 degrees I had tears rolling down my face while she did it!
I lay on my belly and she kept pushing my knee towards my bottom and made me push against her this went on for about 20 minutes then she did some other work and was very pleased with herself when she pushed it while I was screaming under my breath to 90 degrees she then said that will show consultant!

Nat, that is terrible. No way should you be pushed to tears by someone who obviously has not got a clue as to what she should be doing. I gather "consultant" means someone who oversees her or is a doctor in charge of rehab........whatever, she works for you and you need, in my opinion, to tell her to never do that again. My PT never once pushed that hard and he was always asking if he was hurting me so I know yours is wrong. That makes me so mad I can't comment further without being censored.
@$#%&*%@$%$@^&*

Hugh

Hey Natalie:

How is your other leg???

Next time your physio pushes the sore knee, kick her in the chest with your good leg. Tell her it is just a reflex:hehe:

Wear a boot on the other foot....
Sandy

Oh, Natalie, I really, really hurt for you and I haven't even had my surgery yet! Boy, I'm going to be chatting with my physio big time before she lays hands on my leg. I feel so badly for you - you have been through way too much already and deserve some really compassionate care - lots of TLC. I'm sending you some way over the ocean! Feel it?

Sandy: Wow you really find lots of uses for those boots on these forums - lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie