Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a nightmare!
I'm no expert, but why don't you just rest your knee, and do gentle ROM stuff. I love the moist heat myself.
If you keep pushing it to bend and it gets more swollen, then you can't bend, etc.

What does you Primary Care think about all this?

I'm not sure what a Registrar is but if it is equivalent to our Physician Assistants, or Nurse Practitioners, then you might actually be in better hands. I find they have more time and are (usually) more caring.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. When you feel up to it, go shopping. Or better yet, shop the internet. I find it a satisfactory therapy for "I hate my Doctor" syndrome!:hehe:
Sandy

Do you mean my home doctor by Primary Care Sandy?

A registrar is basically a trainee consultant :thmb: I haven't met him yet and they normally have a few so I could end up seeing a few different people over the next few months.

Internet shopping sounds like a great idea :wink:

Hi Natalie, so sorry to hear your nightmare story! I had a spinal surgeon who did the same thing. Always at least one hour late to clinic and once the surgery was over it was like Jo says - he was bored. What a pig - he's worried about his reputation. Excuse me - how about worrying about you!

I agree with Sandy, you might actually have a better time with his registrar. You need someone with less ego!

When do you see PT next? I am sure they will understand the phone call had nothing to do with you.

Be good to yourself today Natalie. Rest and focus on getting comfortable again. :cnsl:

Thanks Jaycey :dogkiss: I see them on Wednesday I really hope they aren't cheesed off with me!

Hi Natalie. Sorry your visit was not very fruitful, and that you had to wait so miserably long!

Commenting about the long wait, spouse has a cardiologist, and if the appt. with him or his PA is backed up/over scheduled for some reason, they call our home and tell him and reschedule. Kind of makes you mad that an appt. you've had for months is cancelled, but at least it keeps him from waiting for nothing. As we are now seeing a bit of a Doctor shortage like nurses here in the US, I am sure it's going to get worse.

Do you know I would have rather had that then it wouldn't have been such a nightmare day!!

Hi Natalie - just to let you know I am thinking about you today. Hope you are getting some rest and a bit of relief from the pain. Take care!

Any better today Natalie?

hi natalie
gutted just replied to your message n lost it! ill start again. poor u i was hoping you would get a boost after your app. thats rubbish, you shouldn't have to suffer like that, no wonder u were so tired & sore waiting that long. i've not been on here for a while, hope things have improved a bit by now. dont worry about your physio he will be annoyed with your surgeon not you.
thinking of u, melanie x :cnsl:

Thanks Melanie x

Hey Jaycey I'm doing ok just struggling through and trying to do as much of the physio I can manage thanks for asking xx

Poor Nat!
What a rough time of it! I've had some very uncaring docs myself. Some of their egos are unbelievable. And I agree a surgeon is most interested in surgery and has his support staff around to handle the other problems and rehab. I went back to my OS Sport Medicine doc last year when I started with problems again because I just felt like my OS replacement dr really didn't care about the other things going on in my knee. PT even agreed that I should do that. But it does get more complicated the more surgeons in your life. Sometimes I don't know who to go to. I try to make one as my primary one and start there. He listens well and I feel I have a complete history with one dr then even if he sends me off to another doc. I do agree with the one statement that sometimes their assistants will give you more time and hope that is what you find out yourself. I have also found that while they might be caring and attentive at the end they have to go get the doc because they don't know what to do with me. They have never had a patient with my conditions and I don't fall into their standard protocol of rehab. I have so many times like you built up this huge expectation of seeing your dr on the next appt to end up shattered with a brief, run thru appt. I want to yell at him "Hey I've been waiting for weeks for this appt and need some answers"!
It bothers me that you are not on any inflammitories to help with the swelling. I realize you have stomache problems but what do other people do? There must be some other product beside pain meds that can help you.
Also I hestate to say this because I see there are strong opinions in both camps on this board regarding how much PT should be done. At this late in the recovery I think you should be pushing thru the pain. Easy for me to say. My PT talked with me on pain several times and he felt there are different kinds of pain. The pain of a knee replacement is hard to work thru but necessary. It is not a painless rehab while some rehabs are. It is very painfull. I can hear the people yelling at me now. Even my massages can be very painful. There are gentle, soothing ones and then are the ones that she is working out my knots and it hurts like....
You have had a horrible time of it no doubt. I wish I could take some of your pain away. Right now forget about SC and focus on this replacement.
If I can help in anyway Nat just holler.
Martha

Martha said:
There must be some other product beside pain meds that can help you.
Well, if you ever find any, please let us know!

And I restrained myself from shouting as I do realise the SC complicates the issue more than somewhat.
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_smiliemute.jpg

I do not want Nat to feel any quilt because she doesn't think she is doing enough. She is between a rock and a hard place. One person is telling her one way to rehab and another is telling her another way. She is trying her best I'm positive of this. But how can we help her? If she has been doing the gentle approach and it is not working maybe a change is in order. I surely don't know. I just know she needs something to work now. She's at her wits end.
Martha

Well, if you ever find any, please let us know!

And I restrained myself from shouting as I do realise the SC complicates the issue more than somewhat.
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_smiliemute.jpg

I think we could find them, Jo, but they are probably illegal on both sides of the pond!!!!

I loved it when my dear hubby would gently massage my leg with Lavender Massage oil.

Sandy

I wish there was some anti inflammatory that didn't give me the stomach pains and sickness I even tried taking them with some tablets to help with my stomach but is has never worked I have tried the gels in the past too and never experienced any relief from them :(
I'll drop u an email Martha xx

I Have done 5 lots of the physio he gave me Saturday and Sunday and 3 lots and I have pushed it until tears are streaming down my face,I've tried it sat on my chair in the shower with hot water running over it and tried ice and heat for the pain afterwards.
I have had to up my meds too to cope with the pain during physio and afterwards and so far I haven't noticed any difference my ROM is still the same if I put myself through 3 weeks of agony and it doesn't help I will be gutted :(

I just don't know what to do for the best anymore and to be honest I'm totally fed up!!

Hang in there Natalie, if I can do it at 70 I know you can. It hasn't been too long for you although I know it seems like it. A few weeks ago I could blow on my knee and it hurt, stung actually. Don't allow the water to directly hit your knee when in the shower. Have you been using a CPM machine to increase ROM? It works very well. How about ice, how often and how long? I'm using a Vitalwrap system which circulates cold water around my knee and it is very effective. Check it out on the internet. It costs about $500 retail although you can get one for around $350 and my insurance paid for it.

What does your surgeon say about the pain and perhaps changing your meds? I did try oxy for a week but the side effect was worse than the surgery so I'm back to Norco
(acetaminophen and hydrocodone). I'm sure your doctor has told you about the liver problems Tylenol (acetaminophen) can cause over time.

The side effect was constipation that you would not believe. Worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Keep your chin up and know that this too will pass.

Hugh

Yes I do, Jo. My kids are the only ones I know who can wash up, make a small meal, iron and do many other things.
My little brother is 16 and can't do any of those things because my mum has done everything for him!
Me and my husband have always fended for ourselves. I left home at a very young age and was pregnant at 17 so had to survive and I taught myself all that stuff. I am glad my 2 know how to do it all :)
I just hope they don't resent me. We have a lot of trouble at school with my youngest and I always worry it is my fault.

Natalie, believe me...you ARE doing the right thing!!! As an only child, I was pretty spoiled. My mom and dad never made me do any chores around the house. I used to beg to get to do laundry, dusting, ironing or cooking. But mom would tell me I had my whole life to do those things, so go have fun. Well, sometimes she would let me do them but not very often. So what did I do for fun? I used to go to my friends' houses and help them do THEIR chores!!! :hehe:

Hang in there Natalie, if I can do it at 70 I know you can. It hasn't been too long for you although I know it seems like it. A few weeks ago I could blow on my knee and it hurt, stung actually. Don't allow the water to directly hit your knee when in the shower. Have you been using a CPM machine to increase ROM? It works very well. How about ice, how often and how long? I'm using a Vitalwrap system which circulates cold water around my knee and it is very effective. Check it out on the internet. It costs about $500 retail although you can get one for around $350 and my insurance paid for it.

What does your surgeon say about the pain and perhaps changing your meds? I did try oxy for a week but the side effect was worse than the surgery so I'm back to Norco
(acetaminophen and hydrocodone). I'm sure your doctor has told you about the liver problems Tylenol (acetaminophen) can cause over time.

The side effect was constipation that you would not believe. Worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Keep your chin up and know that this too will pass.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

No I'm not using a CPM machine we don't have access to them in the UK sometimes you can get them at your PT appointments but it isn't worth as you are only allowed 30 minutes sessions each time.I ice lots after and before my physio I use gel packs so I use them until they are no longer cold and then try moist heat if the pain is still the same.
My surgeon said to just take more meds but like you the side effect of this is terrible constipation I have upped my Oramorph but that makes me feel lousy but rather that than the pain!
Thankyou for the support xx

Natalie:

Too bad you don't have access to a CPM machine. I loved mine, in fact it felt good to move the joint slowly and without pain.

What types of movement can you do without too much pain?

Do you have access to a pool or hot tub?

Sometimes when my knee is pissy, I find that heat makes it feel a bit better. I am aware that it is counter productive to icing, but when I feel icky, I find heat comforting. In fact, I found that applying moist heat actually relaxed my knee enough to do PT.

I wouldn't stress about the physio. I feel it is impossible to accomplish anything when you are in agony.

Do you have an exercise bike?
It is another way to get some ROM. Just rocking the pedal back and forth moves the knee like a CPM machine. Set the seat as high as you can until you can get the pedals around. Then gradually lower it.

I hope you feel better.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
I can do leg raises without much pain it's the knee slides and pushing my knee back while sat on a chair that give the most pain I have just used moist heat and then done them the first few aren't as bad but the pain soon kicks in.
I don't have access to a bike or pool but I'm hoping physio may get me on the bike this week :)
I'm finding doing more housework now and walking around more so I'm feeling totally exhausted I'm presuming this is pretty normal.
I have been suffering from terrible sickness and heartburn in the last few days I get to about teatime and it starts it's horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie