Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 235am here in the uk and I'm awake in a lot of pain,it's all down my right side from my hip to my toes and obviously the knee is the worst part I have no idea what has triggered it!
So I have sat and wrote a list of questions for my surgeon tomorrow!

Good luck Nat - please let us know how you get along - I too am up late again w/ some pain and also some worry but that's for another time and thread :)

Just go in w/ you list of questions and try to b positive and I hope he responds like he should.

I'll b thinking of you,

xoxooxo,

Linda.

I have been sat in clinic since 1030am and it's now 1pm I am in so much pain even though I've had meds no sign of being seen anytime soon :(

Hi Natalie, I do hope things went well today when you FINALLY got seen. Just the pits when you have to wait and wait! You get there on time and just sit.

Next time bug them to death. I just keep asking every 15-20 minutes. Tell them you are in pain. At least then they give you a reason for the delay and try and move thing along.

Please let us know how things went.

I do that too! But then I know (having worked there) that most ortho surgeons are generally 1-2 hrs late for their clinics!

Nat, have you tried moist heat on your leg? Get a smallish hand towel, wet it and wring it out till it's just damp, not wet nor dry. Then nuke it in the microwave until it's hot and wrap it around where ever hurts the most. But be very careful when you apply it. Don't use it too hot and scald yourself.

What a horrible day I waited 3 hours saw my surgeon and he sent me for x rays waited 30 minutes for the x rays then another hour to see him again by this point I was almost crying in pain despite lots of meds.
My surgeon then went on to say how important it is that I achieve 90 degree knee bend within the next 3 weeks so he showed me what he wanted me to do and he personally rang my physio and told him he needs to push me.
So I have done what he showed me twice tonight and now I can barely put any weight on it and I'm in agony and if I'm honest he scared me a bit saying that I needed to push myself loads or my knee is never going to be right if I don't do it.

Jo I used moist heat when I got in and it was lovely I am just going to do it again.

The whole time we were waiting I was telling them how much pain I was in and our ambulance driver kept asking how long it would be 4 people had the same time appointment as me to see the same doctor!

He also said the surgery went well and he removed all the diseased tissue but he is worried it will grow back.

oh honey, I am so sorry you r going thru all this - know I am thinking of you constantly,
xoxoxo,
Linda.

Oh you poor thing! Was this at the Wrightington? I am staggered. This is an awful way to treat a patient (and I'm not referring to the wait). Was he at all sympathetic?

Yes it was Wrightington Jo and to be honest no he was in no way sympathetic he said his reputation was on the line and he had never had a failure I was mortfied!
I'm mortified to go back to physio because he gave him a right telling off over the phone!

The nurse came out to see me at one point and we asked why it was such a long wait and he said because Mr porter is a nightmare!

The nurse came out to see me at one point and we asked why it was such a long wait and he said because Mr Porter is a nightmare!
Say no more! I've worked with one or two like that!

How would you feel about seeing someone else?

I don't know Jo I felt so relieved after 7 years of finally finding a surgeon who was happy to replace my knee that I felt like he had been sent by god and in the theatre and afterwards in the hospital he was amazing but I feel really let down after today but maybe he was having an off day?
But I say that as I went to book my next appointment they said he wasn't in clinic and he walked past so I said to him your not here that date shall I come on another date he looked at his registrar and said no it's fine my team will deal with you so he had made this huge deal about me getting to 90 in 3 weeks and he won't even be in clinic to see me!

I do still have my oncologist consultant at Birmingham as they want to keep an eye on the chondromatosis.

Natalie,

I am so sorry you had such a terrible, painful, and exhausting day. I hope you are able to get some sleep (or at least rest) tonight. I am very concerned that the doctor and the PT might be pushing you too much. You are the only one who truly knows your body. I'm worried that by overdoing exercises, you are causing swelling which, in turn reduces your ROM.

I have had a number of PTs over the years who have not understood SC and my history and have ended up causing me more problems and pain. Even the PT I worked with after my hip replacement was pushing me too hard. He wanted to use resistance bands on my operated leg less than a week after my surgery. I said I wouldn't do the exercises with the resistance bands, and he acquiesced.

Please listen to your body and do what feels right to you. There are so few people who have SC and have had joint replacements that there is no way to know if our recoveries should or will follow a usual pattern. As Jo said, if your limited ROM is from scar tissue, they can help that later with MUA if it is necessary. I think right now you need to be resting more and trying to get the swelling down. It sounds to me like your doctor was rushed and may not have reviewed your history as thoroughly as he should have.

The other thought that occurred to me is that some surgeons are only interested in surgery! After that, they lose interest and leave it to their registrars.

What a nightmare!
I'm no expert, but why don't you just rest your knee, and do gentle ROM stuff. I love the moist heat myself.
If you keep pushing it to bend and it gets more swollen, then you can't bend, etc.

What does you Primary Care think about all this?

I'm not sure what a Registrar is but if it is equivalent to our Physician Assistants, or Nurse Practitioners, then you might actually be in better hands. I find they have more time and are (usually) more caring.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. When you feel up to it, go shopping. Or better yet, shop the internet. I find it a satisfactory therapy for "I hate my Doctor" syndrome!:hehe:
Sandy

Hi Natalie, so sorry to hear your nightmare story! I had a spinal surgeon who did the same thing. Always at least one hour late to clinic and once the surgery was over it was like Jo says - he was bored. What a pig - he's worried about his reputation. Excuse me - how about worrying about you!

I agree with Sandy, you might actually have a better time with his registrar. You need someone with less ego!

When do you see PT next? I am sure they will understand the phone call had nothing to do with you.

Be good to yourself today Natalie. Rest and focus on getting comfortable again. :cnsl:

Hi Natalie. Sorry your visit was not very fruitful, and that you had to wait so miserably long!

Commenting about the long wait, spouse has a cardiologist, and if the appt. with him or his PA is backed up/over scheduled for some reason, they call our home and tell him and reschedule. Kind of makes you mad that an appt. you've had for months is cancelled, but at least it keeps him from waiting for nothing. As we are now seeing a bit of a Doctor shortage like nurses here in the US, I am sure it's going to get worse.

Natalie,

I am so sorry you had such a terrible, painful, and exhausting day. I hope you are able to get some sleep (or at least rest) tonight. I am very concerned that the doctor and the PT might be pushing you too much. You are the only one who truly knows your body. I'm worried that by overdoing exercises, you are causing swelling which, in turn reduces your ROM.

I have had a number of PTs over the years who have not understood SC and my history and have ended up causing me more problems and pain. Even the PT I worked with after my hip replacement was pushing me too hard. He wanted to use resistance bands on my operated leg less than a week after my surgery. I said I wouldn't do the exercises with the resistance bands, and he acquiesced.

Please listen to your body and do what feels right to you. There are so few people who have SC and have had joint replacements that there is no way to know if our recoveries should or will follow a usual pattern. As Jo said, if your limited ROM is from scar tissue, they can help that later with MUA if it is necessary. I think right now you need to be resting more and trying to get the swelling down. It sounds to me like your doctor was rushed and may not have reviewed your history as thoroughly as he should have.

Thanks Rebecca,I'm just going to do what physio I can manage I have already done it 3 times this morning and I am in absolute agont and every step feels terrible I can't keep up like this,I was awake all night in pain after yesterdays waiting around :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties