op tomorrow and I'm scared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calling_all_angels

big-cheese
Country
United States United States
Was anyone here ever just plain scared?? I think that as I get closer to tomorrow.
I am getting scared or chicken one or the other. I keep telling myself to stop being a baby it will all be over after tomorrow. Well at least for the right knee. I heard back
today on left knee Xray that it too is gone. Can anyone tell me how much time I will have before they will want to do that one. I just can not seem to catch a break. I will
hand report over to the Ortho Doc. tomorrow. I wish I understood what the report
saids? Thanks everyone for letting me whine.
^i^

Re: Tkr

I was terrified the couple of weeks prior to my TKR. I am now approaching one year post op and I'll tell you it is one outstanding miracle for me. I spent the year prior on constant pain meds. Sat around all the time and really not enjoying life or my family....Now I'm on the go non stop.

I was paranoid that I would get a cold or have my surgery delayed for some reason. I just wanted it to happen. Fortunately it did! Treat it as a learning experience. You will be happy that you did!!
Cheers, Ross

Thanks Doug,
I have been a jumping out of my skin this last month. Tomorrow
it will be over and behind me. It will be nice to be able to do more
without pain. I will have to have the left one done to.
Thank you again at least now I know that I am not the only who
was scared.^i^

Thank you Ross,
I too have been thinking about colds and flu. I only catch a cold
about once every 5 years but figured this would be the year. LOL
But so far so good.
^i^

I've split these off into your own thread as we had hijacked 33plycpe's thread.

Well, we'll be thinking of you tomorrow. And if I had had a pound for every patient who's ever told me they were scared, I'd be a very rich woman now! I was always more concerned about the patients who claimed they weren't scared!

Calling All Angels.....today is the day and please know we all had apprehension before surgery. By the time you read my post, you willl have joined the ranks of the recovering. Don't worry if you feel like it was a crazy thing to do for a week or so. When you are new out of surgery, sometimes the pain is great enough to make you wonder why you agreed to such a thing! But it will get better quickly and you will soon be glad you had the surgery.

I'm right there with you. My surgery is scheduled for next Monday the 19th and I'm going between being very excited to sheer panic.

I have moments where I keep questioning myself on whether or not I really need to do this drastic of a surgery. When my knees are feeling not so sore and achy, like when I've been resting, I think to myself, "it's not that bad, do I really need to have my knees cut out?", then all I have to do is get up and try to start walking and the bones grind against each other and the pain and stiffness set in and I know I'm doing the right thing.

I just keep praying for strength and a positive attitude, I firmly believe that your mental attitude has so much to do with how well you'll do and heal, so I'm trying really hard to be positive and strong, but it's still ok to be scared to I think.

Good luck to all and my thoughts are with everyone going through this and I'm so grateful for this forum and all the support from everyone.

kat

Calling, Best for tomorrow (today?). All you have to do is show up, they will take it from there. It is pretty scary but you want what is on the other side, trust us, you know you do. "Recovery here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

When you really look at it, you would have to be absolutely, totally crazy to not be scared prior to any surgery...But as Jenn says, just show up.

Proof of the benefits of a good new stable joint today in my workout with the trainer. Angie had me standing on one leg with 5 pound weights in each hand and, as you balance on the one leg, you lift the weights out from your body to shoulder height. Believe it or not, I was more balanced on the surgery leg! My other knee doesn't bother me, so I was quite surprised. It tells me that unoperated leg is not as good as I thought it was!!! Maybe some of it is that I consciously try to work the surgery leg when doing things like going up and down steps, so I guess I've made it stronger. Anyway, it made me happy to see the new knee do so well when balancing! So....Calling All Angels, you have lots and lots of good moments ahead of you to look forward to!!!!

Thinking of you Calling All Angels, you should be getting the most beneficial surgery done right now!! You won't regret it, well at least not after a few weeks!! We were all scared silly before, it's normal.

Good luck on Monday Kat, you won't regret it :) Sue

Being afraid is an absolutely natural aspect of having major surgery. it doesn't matter how tough you think you are, we were all afraid...

But your challenge here is in the faith you ahve made the right decision. Are you in constent pain, are you immobile, have you stopped doing things you need to do or want to do as a result of your pain? If so, the surgery will give you back your freedom. Freedom from your pain and freedom of regaining your mobility.

I went to sleep the night before by taking a deep breath and saying to myself, I'm ready to get rid of this pain. The next day I woke up early and pushed forward with the busienss of getting my life back...

Speedy recovery!

And have faith that your OS & your anesthesiologist have had a VERY good night's sleep! Think POSITIVe & you will be fine! Best of good luck on Monday!

I think every one of us was scared before the op. It is not a pleasant thought!!

Good luck, I hope all goes well. In a couple of months you will feel the benifits

When my surgery date 3 months ago was set. I was petrified. Everyone here was so nice, I knew I wasn't alone. Still, I didn't breathe a sigh of relief, until the surgery was over. Someone on the board told me to take my stool softeners religiously. They were right! Another told me to ice, ice, ice. They were right, too. As I write this post, you're surgery should be over. Now the recovery begins. At a little over 3 months, I'm doing great. Still a little achy at times but there nothing I can't do. Everyone here has been through this surgery, so whatever questions you have along the way, will be answered. You'll even get hugs when you need them! Take care...
Sandy

Sandy R,
Being new to this forum, I just wanted to add that all I hear locally and now on the forum is positive. I haven't decided when to have my knee done, but I'm sure it will be this year. I wish you well, and by now you should be done, and a speedy recovery.
p.s. It is nice to know we aren't alone. My wife has had several brain surgeries for mengiomas, and she has benefited tremendously from individuals with similar experiences. If someone has "walked" in you shoes they seem to better understand what you are going through.
p.p.s.s. Perhaps I'm also procrastinating because of some fear!!

I imagine your surgery is over Calling all Angels. I hope you are doing really well. Let us know as soon as you "sober up."

You will not regret this surgery, it will change your life. I am 8 weeks post and I am doing things I have'nt done in ten years. last night at church I climed a flight of thirty stairs just because my 6 year old had never been to the balcony,Prior to my BI-TKR I would never have done this because of the pain. Good luck and GODSPEED!

Just to show I'm normal like the rest of you, I can assure you that when my time comes I too will be scared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie