TKR Op surgery anesthesia

Moriah

Country
United States United States
I have been going to my ortho for cortizone and it no longer works. I asked to schedule surgery, Tkr. I can’t walk down a hall and back without pain. So I met with my doc, robot assisted OP. His PA called me when I had more questions and tells me I’ll be awake during the surgery. Horrified to say the least. Who has a major surgery awake ? I need to hear other people’s experience, with an epidural, nerve block (before or after epidural?) and IV sedation. I had a colonoscopy and was completely out with IV but then again there wasn’t a Santa’s workshop going on at the same time. I want to know if I’ll be looking at the ceiling for 2 hours with sawing, pounding, drilling, roboting, and more drilling. The PA said “like a nap” “some people hear pounding”. if my husband was using his awesome drill I purchased for him on the bed while I “napped” I wouldn’t be napping anymore. Is there anything I can do like bribe the anesthesiologist to put me under ? I don’t want to be awake at all. I will be at an orthopedic surgery center and I won’t go to a regular hospital with covid so the other option is to live with the pain until a vaccine and switch docs to have general anesthesia. Your feedback is appreciated!

@Moriah , you won't have to be awake.
Most people who have a spinal anaesthetic also have a sedative that helps them to sleep through the whole operation. The only ones who stay awake are those who actually ask to - something I would never do.

This article explains about the different types of anaesthetics:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

It sounds as if you surgeon's PA still has a lot to learn.

@Moriah When I went for my surgery in October last year, I wanted to have a general anaesthetic.
But at the time of the surgery, the anethetist told me it would be a spine block as healing was far quicker and there are less side effects. To be honest, it was a weird sensation.
I was there but I wasn't. They give you a sedative so despite hearing the odd noise, including drilling, hammering, odd bits of conversation... you don't relate it happening to you.
it was if they were doing it to someone else. You dont feel a thing and, in my case, I must have dozed off :sleep:
Before I knew it, I was sitting up in bed with a new knee and a wonderfully clear head.
I previously had, a year before, a general anesthetic for the removal of varicose veins and the wake up time took about 4-5 hours and I was groggy afterwards.
I would definitely recommend a spinal block as, 30 minutes after my surgery, I was chatting to my husband and drinking a cup of tea.
Hope this has made your decision easier for you xx

@Moriah just tell the anaesthetist that you don't want to see or hear anything. They will give you a sedative and watch to make sure you stay in a nice, comfy sleep through the whole procedure.

@Moriah just tell the anaesthetist that you don't want to see or hear anything. They will give you a sedative and watch to make sure you stay in a nice, comfy sleep through the whole procedure.
Exactly what happened to me. I was most insistent that I absolutely DID NOT want to be awake, and I wasn't. Pre-op (not even in the theatre) to recovery room, total blank in between.

thanks for the feedback and reading my rant. I can tell this site will be really really helpful.
I really liked the IV with the colonoscopy last year so I’m hoping they use the same, something that looks like skim milk in the needle. They told me before the colon that I would be totally out and not remember anything. That’s what happened. That is not what the ortho PA said, “you will be relaxed”. Is that what’s called “twighlight” ? Can they tell if you are partially awake ? I woke up during my previous colonoscopy 10 years ago and was just told “almost done” 15 minutes. it was not fun.
Also does the nerve block happen before the spinal ? Again thanks for feedback.

I think it must be something similar to the colonoscopy. The docs may not consider it technically that you're "out" but as far as you know you are. With my knees I remember waking up in the recovery area feeling like I'd had a really good nap.
I agree with the others that you should tell the anesthesiologist that you do not want to hear anything.

I wanted to stay awake, so had a spinal, but he put me to sleep with extra happy juice.
The second time, I stayed awake for about half the time, but even then I was off with the fairies.
It really is a non event, absolutely nothing to worry about. It's pretty boring, actually, even if you stay awake.

Some people take a video, a music CD, or an audio book to pass the time.

I had a choice for anesthesia. If you want general, unless there’s an underlying issue, you should request it.

Thank you everyone for your experience. Helps to here from those on the other side. I’ll just bring a 50 dollar bill and bribe the anesthesiologist !

You won't have to bribe the anaesthetist. Just tell him/her you don't want to be aware of anything.
So I met with my doc, robot assisted OP. His PA called me when I had more questions and tells me I’ll be awake during the surgery. Horrified to say the least.
Just remember that your surgeon is in charge, not his/her PA. The PA is there to learn from your surgeon and sometimes PAs haven't yet learned enough. PAs may think they know everything, but they don't.

Here is some reading for you, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you want to be asleep, the only option isnt a general. Local anaesthetics are claimed to be far better in recovery, and you can sleep all the way through with this if you talk to the anaesthetist first. He will give you extra happy juice, and you will wake up even happier.

i know you guys are only joking about bribing the anaesthetist, but honestly, there's no need to bribe, or to worry.

It's the anaesthetist's job to keep you safe, relaxed, and happy during your surgery. It makes the surgery easier for your surgeon if you are relaxed.

Whether you want to have a general anaesthetic or a spinal plus a sedative, your wishes will be considered.

The anaesthetist will be monitoring your condition throughout the operation. He/she will respect your wishes as much as possible, for your own safety and for the surgeon to be able to do his/her job.
If you want to have a spinal, but be totally unaware of what is going on, say so, and you will be given enough sedative to make it so.

Hi there… I had spinals for both of my hips. You have absolutely nothing to be worried about, you just ask them to be nicely sedated so you don’t hear or smell anything. It was much better than any anaesthesia operation I’ve ever had, and you have the benefit of waking up to absolutely no pain… Obviously it does wear off. It literally felt like I went to sleep and then woke up… I had no headache or feeling groggy like you do with a GA

For three of my knee surgeries I had a spinal and sedation. All I remember is being told we are going to give you something to relax you. Next thing I knew I was talking to my daughter in my room.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562