THR Op on 3rd October

Brookeer

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m having a left hip replacement next Monday, 3rd October.
I’m trying to calm myself down but not doing a very good job. My heart is pounding and I can’t sleep.
What is it like when you first stand/walk after the op.
Another concern is whether I’ll make it to the loo on time if I’m slow.
Does a nurse come with you or can you be left in private once you’re there?

Hello and Welcome! I will leave some pre-op reading material below and type more in a post underneath -

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

Pre-op anxiety can feel torturous at times. Cold Comfort, but once it's over, you will most likely be thinking - If I knew it was that easy I wouldn't have worried as much.

As for your questions - Naturally I was apprehensive when it came to standing the first time, but you have your walker, the prosthetic will hold you up and you normally have the coaching of a nurse or PT by your side. So...you just trust and take those first step as millions before you have.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

You will very likely make it to the bathroom on time as long as you ring for assistance and don't wait. If I recall I believe a nurse may have walked along side me the first time, but I was in the restroom and on the toilet, up and down, all by myself. You'll be surprised at what you're able to do so soon after surgery. At least I was.

Read some of the pre-op threads. There are a few others that were feeling pretty anxious and some of the responses they received may bring you comfort. HERE and HERE (tap/click on blue for thread links)
Come back often and share your worries or concerns and we'll do our best to alleviate your fears. Lots of comfort to you as you await Monday.
@Brookeer

As soon as I returned from PACU, I was told to change into my own clothing again. Like you, I had a concern about not getting to the toilet in time. I told the nurse and was given a choice between a pad or a pair of paper incontinence underwear. Paper underpants? Who knew? :umm:
I chose the pad.

A nurse was with me and helped me get out of bed after she fastened on one of those safety fall belts or whatever they're called. I was steady to walk and she came with me to the door of bathroom, and I went in alone and did what needed to be done. Walked back to my cubicle.

I was leary of standing that first time too, but it was just fine. It was a surprise to bear weight on my leg and feel none of that horrible grinding pain any more. I felt like I was 50 years old again! Still do!

I have no idea how they do things in UK. I came back to my room and had lunch. It took a little while and they came around to get me out of bed and walk a little, no problem. I could walk but I walked like someone that had their hip replaced, I could put weight on it but had no strength to take a step without the walker. I think I set a record for how many times I went to the bathroom in one day but always made it. Between the IV's and all of the water I drank I was getting a lot of walking in. I was able to go from the bed to the bathroom by myself in the hospital.

As soon as I returned from PACU, I was told to change into my own clothing again
Haha! I had to do the same! I was advised ahead of time so my street clothes were pretty much the equivelent of Pj's. I bought the softest loosest yoga style pants I could find and an over sized t-shirt so I could ditch the b-r-a. Nope...just had surgery, not doing it. The nurse agreed with me and laughed. I don't know the reasoning for this dressing to go to your actual room other than to put you in recovery mode. Up and at em, no slouching or lazing around happening here! :heehee:

Thank you all so much for your replies. They’ve definitely helped.
I’ve had this pain for nearly three years but my GP wouldn’t refer me so it’ll be good to eventually get this over with.

Layla, I think the post op care team probably prefers yoga pants and loose tees (even sans b-r-a) to the view of uncovered backsides with hospital gowns waving in the breeze :loll:Or worse yet, having to stroll the halls with us, with one hand holding our gowns closed.

They told me to bring normal clothes as there’ll be people in the corridors. I’ve bought midi dresses so I haven’t got to get trousers on.

Or worse yet, having to stroll the halls with us, with one hand holding our gowns closed.
They told me to bring normal clothes as there’ll be people in the corridors
Makes sense, I guess. I don't think every surgery site does this though. My surgery site did call for a lot of "common area" time so that's probably why they have you dress in your clothes. At the place where I had my surgery they have a physical therapy device that allows you to start walking faster after surgery, prevents falls, and improves your natural gait. It’s a ceiling mounted monorail system with a support frame that allows you to stand upright, using your upper body for support. You then walk - it's used for most often for hip, knee, and ankle surgeries. With all that said...I didn't like it and asked the PT if I could just walk on my own with a walker and she said that was fine.

Wow that sounds much more advanced than the UK. I think I only get visits from the physio until I’m discharged.
I’ve been seeing someone privately so I think he’ll help me if I need it.
I don’t know if the op is going ahead. I got a message this morning telling me to go in at a different time but when I called they said I’m still on the system for the original time and to speak to the Consultant’s secretary.
She hasn’t called me back (she never does) so I don’t know if I’ve been cancelled following the pre-op and the new time is a clinic appointment.
So, I won’t know until I turn up on Monday morning whether it’ll go ahead.
If I ever need an op again I’ll never go back there. They’ve caused so much unnecessary stress this last year.

I wouldn't worry about Physio. Aside from the very basics about getting out of bed, walking with the walker and a quick lesson on steps that's about all you'll need. They'll show you all of the basics at the hospital before discharge. For the first weeks it's all about rest and ice, you're in UK and ice is a secret over there it seems. Ice is a great pain relief post-op.

Thanks. It’s hard to know how much exercise to do. I tend to agree with those that say not too much as normally if something in our body hurts we rest it.
You’re right about the ice. I hadn’t heard about it until I joined this forum. Did you just use ice packs or a special device?

I used a Breg Polar Pack icing machine it circulated ice water through a pad. I kept it on continuously. Post-op your muscles are traumatized and just want to heal. You can't build strength with hurt muscles. My basic goal was to walk so that's what I did for exercise.

Hi @Brookeer,
Taking the very first step on my new hip happened quickly after surgery.

I was proud of myself for advocating for myself to get seen by an elite surgeon who could actually help me.

I was amazed at how efficient the doctors and nurses obviously were during surgery.
And I was thankful for science or none of it would have been possible.

I felt no pain. My legs were finally even!

Thank you I’ll have a look at the ice machine. It sounds really good

I was up and walking pretty much as soon as the block wore off. And I needn’t have worried about peeing, because the block kind of messed that up, too. All better, now. Where I went, they give you two hospital gowns to wear at the same time— one ties in the back and one in the front. No worries about mooning the staff! And yes, if you can rent or borrow an ice machine, they are the BEST.

Woohoo! You have just a few more days to go and I am so excited for you! Waking up from surgery is a lot less scary than we all let our brains lie to us about. Your anxiety is totally normal and you will be so happy once it’s done and you wake up either in recovery or in your room.
I found out later from the surgeon, that i was given Ketamine in surgery hence I have no memory of waking up in recovery(Which has never happened of all the many surgeries i have had). It was fantastic actually! Zero pain when I woke up. The only issue I have which was minimal is thigh pain from my leg adjusting to the implant and what they did in the O.R. during surgery.

Don’t stress about the loo/bathroom. You will be able to get there. They have commodes, and plenty of staff to get you there when you feel you need to start heading that way. Trust me the least of your worries. You will do just find and will be surprised at how many mind tricks your brain played in getting you anxious for nothing.

This will be super straight forward, and you will do amazing! Trust the process!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom