TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Im not happy :cry: today I have been doing my exercises going on the bike three times today and I have just come to bed and cried and cried. Never felt so frustrated. My operated knee is painful and keeps giving way. My other knee is even more painful and I have gone back to limping. I am trying to rectify the mistakes of the stupid physio team who discharged me far too early and I am paying the price with painful swollen knees. Ive had it. Im having a day off tomorrow even tho I have iced a lot today. I don't even know if I will go to physio again. Whats the point. IVE HAD ENOUGH :gaah: :groan: :tantrum: :headbang: :boohoo:

stressed out.jpg
robynhood, Pat, I think you may be doing too much physio right now. Why not just take the next week totally off and do a lot of elevating and icing. Then start back VERY SLOWLY with gentle bends and stretches and on the bike once a day for a week, then add another biking session and a few more reps, and so on. Even at 8 months post op, your knee is not going to like being pushed.

If you have no success with this, maybe it's time to get a referral to see your surgeon to check to see if there is something unusual going on here.

I'm just so sorry that things are not working out for you at the moment. Wish I had a magic wand to wave and make it all better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
hugs 11.jpg

Nooooooo Marianne still the stupid left one giving me grief. Lack of physio then tryiing catch up too quick . Fed up of flippin knees. Hope you are ok . Youve not been having much luck have you. Hope this week is a Happy Healing week for you.

Oh my gosh I thought maybe you'd gone ahead considering your troubles!!!! We did ours the same time. I'm sorry its giving you a tough time!

And you Marianne both of yours havent been smooth and easy have they. Luck of the draw I guess.

Hi Pat,
I hope you are feeling a bit better today. I really feel for you as you are trying so hard and don't feel you are progressing.
How is your weight loss going ? You are doing so amazingly well with it.
I hope you will feel a bit better after a few days rest. Hopefully when you next see the physio if she can see that you are not making any progress despite doing everything asked of you she will be able to move things on and maybe get you reviewed by the surgeon to see if anything else can be done to help.
I think Bottomshollow's suggestion of some time off is a good one, sit back and enjoy the sunshine.
I am sending you a huge bunch of your favourite flowers to cheer you up,
Take care, hugs Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile:

Oh dear Pat, so sorry to hear your knee (well both knees) are giving you problems. Heed Judy's advice, it's good. I do hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat. I know only too well the place you are in right now (though not with two horrible knees, mind you - not that your knees are horrible - oh you know what I mean :heehee: )

Will be thinking of you and will try and come on here a bit more than I have done of late. So much going on at the mo, it's a bit hard to keep up with everything.

Oh and many congratulations to Karlea on her excellent results (just saw this too). So happy for your two daughters moving in together, how lovely.

Hi Pat, hope you are well - lots of good news, enjoy the graduation with your daughter.

loving the avatar - its great !

Fernie x

Thank you Ladies. Feeling a little better but trying not to focus on my lack of flexion. Instead Im concentrating on all the things that have improved since the op. i have another physio session on Tuesday where I will discuss with the PT which is the best road to go down. Tomorrow is Karleas graduation and I am so excited. Really looking forward to a lovely day. We are so so proud of her. Hope everyone has a brilliant weekend in this lovely weather. Hugs to all

Hi Pat, I'm trying to get information on the pros and cons of MUA. Seeing OS 18 August when if things haven't improved I will have to decide if I go down this path or not. Why I'm asking you is that I notice you haven't had an MUA but are struggling with your ROM. Like you I am around 90 to 105. I am 20 weeks post op. Its not so much lack of bend that's the problem, but walking. It feels very tight and restricted when I walk. Again I think this is something you have mentioned is a problem for you too. Did they offer you manipulation? If so, did you have any particular reasons for turning it down? Hope you enjoy your day off. Carol

patient 99 Hi Carol. O yes ive had problems with ROM. I think from lack of physio after my TKR. I have never really gone over the 90. No matter what exercises I do or how many times I use the exercise bike. I had an appointment last month with an advanced PT. she told me yes there was a lack of flexion but on asking how I was coping as regards climbing stairs, walking etc she advised me an MUA was not necessary in her opinion. I was approx 8month post op then. I was given an appointment with physio again and she showed me exercises I had never done before. I started off once a day doing these progressing to 3 times a day. Thats when my problems started again. Very swollen knee, difficulty in walking and painful knees most of the day. I stopped doing the exercises. Just my exercise bike again. I have an appt next week to see the physio again and see what she advises. On reflection even tho I have not got a great ROM I think I am quite satisfied now with what I do have and what I can do. Today for instance, Karleas graduation, I was up at seven oclock, on my feet all day, had to climb three flight of steep stairs at the theatre where her graduation took place, a three hour journey home in a very hot car and its now midnight and Im still up and about. My knees did me proud today and I couldnt have done a fraction of this activity before the op. so I am one of those people who do not have good flexion but a brand new life after TKR. Im satisfied with that. I hope this helps as I know you are in a quandry what to do next. If I was having trouble walking I would feel differently but we walked A LOT today and I didnt hold anyone up.

Great to hear you had a very good day today Pat! Don't be surprised if you're a little stiff tomorrow, it will go away. Each time this happens to us we get stronger and stronger, and the next time it seems like we could do a little more, funny how that works. :shrug:

daughters.jpg
robynhood, Pat, so happy you had a good day and that your knees along with your daughter did you proud.

I was thinking that maybe you could tackle those exercises the physio gave you but in a different manner. Like 5 reps of each once a day for a couple of weeks. Then 10 reps of each for another couple of weeks. Then 10 reps of each twice a day---with the next day only once a day for a couple of weeks. You know, kinda sneak up on those knees slowly. And if the day after doing it like this there's soreness---take the next day off. Well, it's just a thought---talk it over when you wee the physio again. Getting to about 120 would make most things pretty easy for you, except squating---which I can't do either (and don't want to).

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties