THR Onward, forward for NextStep

'you have to push, to move through the pain or ligaments will freeze up and you will be sorry.
Not true at all. Fact is, pain is your body signaling for change, so consider it a warning to stop whatever is causing the pain.
And my body craves rest. With gentle movement now and then
This is exactly what we suggest, what we see work here over and over again. There may be a time for PT later, beyond 6-8 weeks, but at that point you may realize you don’t really need it. Give your body what it’s asking for. Rest and gentle movement. Please read the Activity Progression for THR - Tap / click HERE
Wishing you some peaceful, restorative rest this holiday weekend. :wave:

Thanks, folks. Just needed the confirmation to rest these early days. From people who had done so and it worked well.
So that's my plan now that I'm on my own-more freedom to rest as my body wishes. Of course on my own means being more involved in getting meals; easy options are available for the next few days.
On another note I got my first shower this morning. Felt good.

That first shower is the best!:) :-) (:
I had a nest of snacks in bags near my recliner as my appetite was really off... grapes and crackers were my go tos.
I found out early that taking the medication on an empty stomach made me feel really icky.
I also kept that huge ugly hospital sippy cup filled and close to my recliner so I could stay well hydrated.
It is hard to find a comfy spot these early days, but you can bet if you do... you will have to go to the bedroom.:heehee:

Welcome.
I find people that tell you to push through the pain (even PT), never had this surgery!
Listen to your body, rest, ice, get up to use bathroom, walk around for several minutes then repeat.
You will see progression but it takes time.
all my best

I was discharged from the hospital with a list of PT exercises. Until 6 weeks postop, it specifically said to only do ankle pumps, glute squeezing and thigh squeezing.

After 6 weeks, there are the other usual hip exercises. Since I am now 6 weeks, I am adding in these other exercises, but I started with just very small movements and only 5 repetitions each. After a few days with no added pain, I increased to 10 reps each, but am still keeping the exercise level very low, until I see my OS for my 6 weeks checkup next week, at which I will be nearly 7 weeks.

And yes, even though I missed the window of opportunity, I can do straight leg lifts at 6 weeks, without ever practicing beforehand.

@Zoebichon it's interesting the variation in PT protocols. I was sent home with 4 exercises (plus walking every 1 to 2 hours when awake and the standard ankle pumps), but told that although I could start with 5 per set, I should work up to 30, three times a day. At this point my leg rebels with heel slides.

Day 6 post surgery: I am not sure I was prepared for some of this recovery phase. Bruising I expected, but didn't translate that into pain in places where there had been no pain. I'd heard "weight bearing as tolerated " after surgery. I thought it meant to judge how far I could go, and call it quits for a time to rest. Somehow I thought I'd be able to bear full weight on the new hip right away, with cane or walker for backup to be sure, but I did not realize how much I would depend on it. Pain is still constant in one form or another.
It is exhausting, and I'm a little concerned that friends may think that I'm not progressing as quickly as others have.

Hi @NextStep
I know you are still in critical healing stage at only 6 days out...and nervous about whether this THR actually "worked" and I remember feeling exactly the same.

Please do not think you are not doing enough. It took me a few weeks and some friendly members assuring me that the best thing I could do those early days was relax and heal.
I went back to my recovery thread and pulled my Day 6 post.
Day 6 Post Op. Mornings always make me feel like I'm starting over in my progress. But here is what I've learned this week. The braver you think you are, the bigger the wimp you are the first few days... Your Independence is gone and it is hard. Please know that it was shockingly hard for me but my confidence and hopefulness have returned. Home exercises.. Leg slides, glut exercises, etc... Although painful, I do them in small increments... And then when I'm up walking my pain is not near as bad. Stretching all that out is imperative to my mobility right now. I learned to give up worrying about what I can't do and concentrate on my recovery and RELAXING... I don't know when all the post op pains and issues will resolve but I already know that when it does, I will have my life back. My hips do not feel like they are artificial, though the images would suggest otherwise. Lying down in the bed with my legs straightened out and not having excruciating pain is a miracle. Can't wait till I can lay on my side... May be able to now but too scared to try. I manage a local food bank and with mostly volunteers I hate that I can't be up there to help right now as they are preparing for our biggest food drive if the year next weekend. I think I unrealistically thought I could be up there in a supervisory capacity but really think that might be pushing it
Hope it helps to know you are doing okay....
All Temporary became my mantra... repeated often.
Hope today is a better day.:friends:

I think you put my feelings into words, @Mojo333 . Did this work? I knew I had to do something. For now it's still "by faith."

I felt the same way, day 5 was worse than day 1. Leg started swelling then about 2 days later I thought ok I am better and this wasn't that bad..back to what the heck is happening to my leg? Weird pains and zaps of pain and feels like my incision is hard. It feels like its been forever and I haven't even gotten to 2 weeks yet. Its like this is never going to be better stage. Hang in there!

Tomorrow I'm supposed to remove the outer bandage, not steri-strips. Somehow this makes me a little nervous, to actually see what's under the white bandages and waterproofing. Goofy, isn't it?

Somehow this makes me a little nervous, to actually see what's under the white bandages and waterproofing. Goofy, isn't it?
I’d call it normal. It may cause some anxiety, but I feel it’s natural curiosity to want to view the area of your body that you gave someone permission to use as an access point to replace your hip. I got choked up when I first viewed my bloodied bandage in the mirror in the hospital just hours post op. My first thought was, this is real, it truly just happened. I found it emotional and felt a bit sad, initially. I thought it was interesting to watch the progress of the wound healing and naturally wanted to keep tabs on it for obvious reasons.

Best wishes all looks good underneath that outer bandage. I’m sure it does. :)

It is exhausting, and I'm a little concerned that friends may think that I'm not progressing as quickly as others have.
Yes it's exhausting, our bodies are severely traumatized by this operation. It's not known for that, instead everyone tells of the quick recovery. Of those friends how many have had a THR? I wouldn't worry about what others say. The quick recovery stories are a lot like fishing stories. All of us on here have been there and done that and know what it takes to recover. If we were hit by a car or fell off of a building I don't think people would expect us to have a quick recovery or gauge our progression. Yet what they do to us to perform this procedure is a lot like having an accident and being put back together.

Day 7: Surgical dressing removed, looks good for only a week I think, but nerves sure work! Suddenly today swelling increased and bruising showed up around knee, as well as thigh swelling. Checked in with OS office, confirmed likely from being up and about a little more, that I "likely need to back off and rest more." So elevate, ice and rest it is ... though a little harder to implement consistently on one's own. (Oh, that independent streak that says I've got this!)
I'm off to get set up for a restful evening.

Mine finally moved down to my ankle maybe it will exit since it has nowhere else to go. Elevation and icing did help.
It seemed to make whole leg hurt more when it swelled. Someone said swelling puts pressure on the nerves?

Mine finally moved down to my ankle maybe it will exit since it has nowhere else to go. Elevation and icing did help.
It seemed to make whole leg hurt more when it swelled. Someone said swelling puts pressure on the nerves?
Office said it stopped so clearly at knee because the compression stocking are doing their job, preventing swelling in lower leg.

I also had to remove my own dressings at one week. It seemed like that should be a nurse job but my nurse navigator assured me I could do it! She even called to see if I had and I had to say not yet, I was afraid to! She talked me through it and I got to see those tidy steri strips.

Pain can be...a pain! Let the pain get ahead of me this a.m., and am paying the price now. I'm not sure how much is due to today's swelling, or even the added sensitivity because I removed the bandage. The incision is now exposed to the touch, and it's plenty touchy.
Did anyone else have pain spike at this point?

All very normal. The area is recovering from all the trauma. Nerves are "waking up", soft tissues are angry from all the stress. Ice, elevate and do take your medication around the clock. It's important to stay ahead of the pain at this stage.

Pain can be...a pain! Let the pain get ahead of me this a.m., and am paying the price now. I'm not sure how much is due to today's swelling, or even the added sensitivity because I removed the bandage. The incision is now exposed to the touch, and it's plenty touchy.
Yes I had spikes throughout. Sometimes because I moved a way I shouldn’t and other times because healing is not straightforward. There are ups and downs!
I had bad bruising in my knee but worse was my ankle. It swelled and bruised pretty bad.
It’s all normal. Just listen to what your body needs and don’t worry about where other people think you should be. Everyone has their unique experience. Rest and ice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom