TKR One year on

i was told by my surgeon I won’t kneel again , he also said I wudnt get any better than 90 degree angle sitting. I can get better than 90 degrees, I’m only 9 weeks post op and no intention of trying out kneeling yet. Just intrigued to know how others have found this and would knee pads help in the recovered future . I can walk up and down stairs leg over leg and no pain whatever.

I can't speak to your question regarding kneeling as I'm only 5 1/2 weeks post op. However, I am wondering whether your surgeon is one of those who likes to set low expectations so you're pleasantly surprised when you exceed them.

Leg over leg stair climbing at 9 weeks sounds like wonderful progress. I hope I'm doing as well at that point.

@Joshyboy you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please note that this is the third time we have had to merge your threads. Please do not start any new threads on your recovery.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title slightly. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Did your surgeon say why you wouldn't be able to kneel? I asked my OS if I would be able to and he said yes, but that I probably wouldn't like it. I tested kneeling on the bed at six months, once my knees were pain-free, and... it felt weird. But it worked and didn't hurt. I have knelt on the floor and don't like that at all, so have removed scrubbing floors on hands and knees from my housekeeping repertoire.

Sounds like you're doing great in your recovery so far. If kneeling is something you really want to do, you should ask the surgeon about it just to be sure there's not some limitation because of your implant or the way your TKR was performed. Kneeling is not something you should attempt too early, so even if you get the go-ahead wait until your knee has healed for a few more months.

If I’m walking down stairs I get a pain across knee cap, after exercising in gym or swimming pool I get a tightness across knee cap. If I’m doing any household chores or working out in garden my knee stiffens up and I get a mild
Pain across knee cap. I’ve a good range of movement and get in and out of car ok, don’t take any pain killers and sleep ok. Is the knee cap stiffness/ pain something that will go away through time .

@Joshyboy ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Most of us have tightness across the knee cap in recovery, it goes away with time and healing.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

You are only 3 months out from surgery, about 1/3rd the way through recovery. You are going to have twinges, swelling, and discomfort, it is normal.

I still get minor tightness across my kneecaps on occasion. It goes away quickly. For the most part, though, I don’t feel it now. I’m ten months out. Give your knees a few (or several) more months and that feeling will subside. One thing that helps my knees (my tightness is due mostly to my scars) is to rub cocoa butter with vitamin E into the scars and massage them a little.

8 months post of and been back playing bowls (lawn) since April and no problem bending to deliver. Some games or tournaments lasting 5 to 6 hours.
These last two saturdays I’ve done two long parades, one was 10.5 miles and ones was 12.5 Miles. Absolutely no pain whatsoever and just a little bit of stiffness eh I disappeared with sitting and resting for an hour or so. After first one I played bowls match for three hours next day and a further match following day for two hours.
I still get a slight stiff feeling going down stairs but ever so slight and no pain . Made a huge difference to my quality of life. Been a few holidays and cruises and walking about enjoying them with no pain and scar barely visible. Feels good to offer encouragement and advice to friends who have operations coming up .
Hope this motivates anyone looking in

Hello again, @Joshyboy - and welcome back!

It's good to hear that you're doing so well.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Even though it's been a while since you posted, your latest post makes a good update to your recovery journey.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information and history in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I’ll remember to keep to the
One thread

really delighted with the progress and outcome, no pain whatsoever just a general stiffness in morning which goes once I’m walking. I can walk for miles and only notice a slight discomfort going down stairs. I was told by surgeon I wouldn’t be able to kneel again, well to my surprise I can and have been painting skirtings with the help of good knee pads, even been able to walk on knees. Still exercise regular in the pool and gym , don’t give up hope folks and think positive

@Joshyboy - It's good to hear that you are doing so well now. :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

I've merged your one-year update with the rest of your thread. It makes a nice addition.

Please try to remember to post your updates in this thread, so we have one continuous story about your progress. Many thanks.

Started to play walking football and new knee was no problem whatsoever, blocked a few shots and hit a few shots. I was a bit wary at first but the more touches and passes of the ball and I was off and walking ( quits fast )
No reaction next day and in fact the old knee was sore and stiff after the game .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom