BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] One year later?!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by eelainea65, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well he has it wrong! It's not 'many times more powerful' because topical gels only penetrate about 2 mms into the skin and will never get as deep as the muscles let alone the bone.
    And yes, it will get to the kidneys and stomach when used topically.

@eelainea65
    I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

2. eelainea65

eelainea65 new member

United States United States
    @SnowHare Yes, my rheumatologist gave me the same prescription. Alas, I’ve noticed no difference in my pain or inflammation. She assured me it would have very little impact on my kidneys. Thanks for your input!

@Josephine Let’s see what they are! Might need to PM my answers, but go ahead.

3. Josephine

Well she's wrong! Topical applications can effect the kidneys, liver AND the stomach.

4. eelainea65

eelainea65 new member

UPDATE: Well, new ortho doctor (whose residency was at Mayo) had advised I have both patellas resurfaced. He’s also asked for consent to do complete revisions, if he deems it in my best interest at the time of surgery.

I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea of going through this all over again. However, the pain is just too much to deal with on a daily basis. Besides the apparent soft tissue irritation, he believes a good deal of my pain is from bursitis. I am returning next week for cortisone shots. I will need an MRI to determine the condition of my left hip.

Aside from cartilage loss he feels it may have been impacted by my irregular walking due to knee pain and advises PT as well. I’m not a fan of being 50+. The warm, sunny weather is teasing me with the lure of hiking trails. I just want to walk again without pain. Feeling very ungrateful and discouraged right now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

6. SnowHare

SnowHare junior member

Canada Canada
    @eelainea65 I sometimes wonder if it works or not. My surgeon just gave me a prescription for it. I would be interested in trying some CMD oils. I've heard good things about them. There is a physician in town who used to work at the Bone and Joint Clinic, who dispenses them.

@Josephine If topical medicine can affect your organs, does that mean that some of it is circulating in your body via the bloodstream? Btw, I don't see the rheumetologist anymore, since he kept prescribing an anti-inflamatory over and over again that started to erode my stomach.

7. Josephine

Don't see how else it could get to the organs!

8. jboles

jboles graduate

[QUOTE="eelainea65, I just want to walk again without pain. Feeling very ungrateful and discouraged right now.[/QUOTE]

You’re not alone, I know just how you feel. As for allergy testing, my doctor didn’t recommend it to me, but I’m really glad that I chose to have it done. I’m allergic to most metals and was able to work with my OS to find a replacement that would work for me. Don’t give up, we have to keep pushing to get our lives back.