Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR one year after TKR

MJ pretty shoes

Country
United States United States
MJ pretty shoes I had my TKR on 04/2019 and I’m 74 years old. I had at home PT for 4 week then I had to do out patient PT. I couldn’t do as many treatments as I would have liked because of my insurance. Each session costed me $50.00 for each session so, I only had four sessions. I did my exercises at home and I did everything I had to do. Still to this day I get up at 4:00am and do my exercises.

Also I do a child care 5 day a week watching 6 children. But I’m not that happy with my knee replacement it still very stiff and don’t feel like my own leg. I have full range of motion but my hips are still weak and my thighs are still not as strong as I would like.

Also I have this feeling of water running down the inside of my knee but when you touch it, it’s dry. Do you know what causes that?

I still have some pain but I thought if I went out walking it might make my thighs stronger. So I walked but I think it was to much for my knee. The first week I did it, it didn’t hurt at all but the next week I tried to walk it was fine going down the street but come back up I had to stop about 3 times. It didn’t hurt but, my legs were tired.

Later that night my knee really started hurting and really hard to walk on it. I have to take 800 mls Advil twice a day. Now I’m worried I hurt my knee replacement. I haven’t walked outside anymore, just doing my easy exercise. I didn’t think I could hurt it by walking but it was about one mile. Half mile down and half mile back up.

Do you think I should tell my doctor or just wait and see if it just gets better on it own?

It’s been a year and 5 months and I want to know if there other people that still have a problems with pain, stiffness, numb on the outer side of the knee and that sensation of water running down the inside of the knee? Also I can get down on the floor and get up but can’t kneel on my knee replacement knee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@MJ pretty shoes :welome: to BoneSmart, I would be surprised if you have damaged your knee with walking, as the implants are very hardy, it's a possibility that the muscle tissue is irritated, have you tried cutting back on your activities and icing for a few days, child minding in itself requires sufficient exercise for your knee.
I'm almost 1 year post surgery and do very little exercise other than walking the dogs, occasionally I swim but the pool water is getting too cold and due to Covid the municipal pools are closed.
I still have a numb part on the top left side of the knee but my surgeon did say this may never fully go away, I cannot relate to the water running feeling but I'm sure someone will advise you, kneeling is another activity I detest, just the feeling of it deters me, so I can relate to getting up and down of the floor - jolly hard work:flabber:
Most recoveries take a good couple of years so your knee is probably still healing, if it makes you feel better contact your OS but I'm sure your knee just needs time and plenty of tlc - sending healing hugs to you :console2: xx

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Which knee did you have replaced and what date was it in April 2019 - so we can create a signature for you?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @MJ pretty shoes - and :welome:

At well over a year after your knee replacement, you don't need to still be doing exercises for it. Just let your normal daily activities be your knee's exercise, because that's truly all it needs. You don't have to keep exercising it for the rest of your life.
There's no need to be getting up at early hours in the morning to be doing exercises. More rest in bed at that hour will do more good.

By now, your artificial knee should just feel like a normal part of your body and you should have stopped making allowances for it. You're giving it plenty of exercise, with looking after those children and it's possible that you are irritating and upsetting it with adding more work for it.
More rest and less exercise should benefit it.

That numb area is normal and it can linger for quite a long time:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

Lots of people can't kneel on their artificial knee - and some surgeons prefer you not to anyway.
As for the feeling of water running down your knee, that's probably got something to do with gravity. It may improve, or it may not.

And it's most unlikely you've damaged your knee implant by walking - you just overtired your knee.

Tykey

big-cheese
You need to be a better friend to your knee, by stopping trying to bully it into submission. You've had excellent advice to just get on with your normal activities, your knee will appreciate it.
Don't worry about strange feelings, they are all to do with damaged nerves, ignore them. After 10 years, both my knees have no feeling on the outside, and one feels cold. I love it, I would be a happy man if several other joints were numb, Stubbing my toes, banging my funny bone have lost their appeal
It's time to stop trying so hard, and enjoy yourself.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Like others have said, it sounds like you just overdid it a bit. And I agree with Tykey, the weird feelings are likely related to the nerves. I had a large numb area for at least a year but also got occasional weird sensations. Over the years the numb area got smaller and now there's just a small area of not quite normal sensation if you touch it.

Totally with you, Tykey--when the knees were more numb it was kind of a benefit when I banged into the coffee table! :heehee:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MetalMickey
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom