THR One woman, two hips , one week

Thankyou @Bergame i am working on my walking hopefully I am improving ?? I am looking forward to see what the physio advises just waiting for appointment .
I hope your recovering well sending healing vibes from across the pond .

A Belated Happy Birthday to you! I missed it. Hope it was a good one.
Definitely a year to celebrate.
Have a great weekend!
@cornishgal

Hi @cornishgal
Hope all is continuing to improve and you are doing well.
Hope today is a good day :SUNsmile:

Hello @Mojo333 just noticed it’s been a while since I posted .
I am making progress and doing a few more firsts .
I drove to the shops last week just a 10 minute drive but it felt great to drive again .
I went out for lunch a couple of times which was amazing .
Physio making me work on my gait, it’s crazy how I think I’m walking ok but still have a limp. it’s better than it ever was but perfecting my walk is hard work . Shins still nag a bit but are settling down ache wise . Treated myself to a couple pairs of sketchers go walk , I think they are helping me . Good news physio says I can walk with one cane indoors two outdoors thank goodness for that !
Starting to feel energy levels rise and my legs feeling more relaxed which is helping walking .
Hopefully my OS in a few weeks will be pleased with my gait . Really tempting to walk in like a model strutting then do a pose at the end lol .
Still have a few niggles that most people get( sitting on golf ball feeling, stiff when waking and from getting up)but compared to the pain I used to get I barely notice them .
Intend to look at gyms next week as this will improve my balance and gait ...hopefully !
What an amazing journey . BoneSmart has been such a comfort pre surgery and particularly after my op . Thanks all will post again in a few weeks time .

Really tempting to walk in like a model strutting then do a pose at the end lol .

Love this...it made me laugh.

You're doing fantastic! It will never cease to amaze me how you got yourself in the car to go for round two only one week after your first THR. Did you ever once chuckle and tell yourself you must be crazy? :heehee:
Crazy brave is what you are. I know I couldn't muster the courage but you're in such a great place now with it all behind you. So wonderful to read your update!
@cornishgal

Hopefully my OS in a few weeks will be pleased with my gait . Really tempting to walk in like a model strutting then do a pose at the end lol
That is how I would do it...actually looked more like this:chuckmarch:
:rotfl:

Still have a few niggles that most people get( sitting on golf ball feeling, stiff when waking and from getting up)but compared to the pain I used to get I barely notice them .
Very normal at not even two months out....you sound to be doing very well.
Continued Best Wishes:ok:

Hi All ,
Appreciate any gait tips and hints on getting an improved gait. I have some exercises from physio but wondered if any of you could offer your expertise!

Main problem is a bit of a waddle one leg seems to walk ok the other still hitching up at the waist if that makes sense . I’ve got to ace this walk for my OS !

You may want to ask your OS for a referral to a physio who does gait training. This is a really tough one as old habits are hard to break. Slowly walking planting the heel and rocking forward to the toe in front of a mirror might help as well.

Have you purchased new shoes since your THRs? Shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern might hinder your gait as well.

That limp with a hitch at your waist is called a Trendelenburg gait. It's common after hip surgery and it's related to weakness in the hip abductor muscles, especially the gluteus medius. Which exercises did the physiotherapist give you?

Maybe keep the stride small concentrating on heel toe and balance rather than increasing the length of the stride? I did find if I tried to go fast that weird gait started up. Hope the OS reveres you to a physio that will work on that as it helps the lower back too.

Thankyou all so much yes @Jaycey I have a new pair of sketchers which I think are helping with the toe to heel walking I will practice more slower walking I tend to bomb around a bit.
The physio taught me to raise my leg sideways slowly keeping my waist still and foot to the front for abductors and some mini squats for the glutes so hopefully with practice these will help?? Anymore exercises you know of let me know I’ll have legs like Arnie soon lol.

@SurreyGirl luckly OS reffed me to physio due to see this week hopefully!!

Right now I am going to swan off into the sunset in a slow heel to toe fashion . Thankyou all for your comments .

Thanks @Mojo333 for saying I was a beyond brave for my surgeries . I must say the support on the forum given by yourself and others has been amazing and has helped hugely .
Glad it’s all done sooo worth it and I don’t have to worry about the next hip in a few years .
I hope my thread will help others in the future especially if they are trying to decide weather to have one now , both now etc . I just thank the lord we only have two hips!

It's a special day for Lefty.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
A flower for you :flwrysmile: and wishes for a lovely week!
@cornishgal

No.
Cant be 2 months (of course, if I remember my recovery- probably felt every day of 2 months:unsure:)
Happy hipversary, friend. :ok:

Hello :wave: @cornishgal
Happy Two Month Anniversary to Righty!
Hope you're enjoying the week so far.
Have a great day! :)

Hello all sorry I haven’t posted for a while been busy catching up with people and some little jobs around the home . I have been trying to perfect my gait . I seem to be at another plateau at the moment and I am afraid I might over over did it as I went for a long walk a couple of Days ago and yesterday played with my god children at a theme park so need to rest up .

I have a couple of questions even though I feel my walking is improving I still feel stiff when getting up when roughly does this go it’s driving me crazy as I am an impatient soul !
Also l have a stitch like pain left side top of pelvis at the front this I attribute to being more active have others had this pain / discomfort and if so what eases it as it’s quite uncomfortable and had it on off for a week now grrr .

Much appreciate the feedback as find it useful and reassuring .
I am due to see physio tomorrow which is helpful but I must admit nothing beats the advice of bonesmarties as they have walked , wadddled and strutted before me .x

I am due to see physio tomorrow which is helpful but I must admit nothing beats the advice of bonesmarties as they have walked , wadddled and strutted before me .x
:heehee:
I have a couple of questions even though I feel my walking is improving I still feel stiff when getting up when roughly does this go it’s driving me crazy as I am an impatient soul !
Yes ma'am...eventually. Close to 4 months before my stutter steps became easing. Itll go eventually.
Also l have a stitch like pain left side top of pelvis at the front this I attribute to being more active have others had this pain / discomfort and if so what eases it as it’s quite uncomfortable and had it on off for a week now grrr .
Cant remember...did you have anterior approach? Close to incision or no?
Maybe tight hip flexors...maybe a tad overuse. Light stretching before activity may help..
PT might have ideas. Just dont let them push you...dont want tendonitis...
I had travelling niggles and pains for over 6 months so...keep the faith, friend.

Thank you @Mojo333 wise words I like the description of travelling pains . I think only us hippy hipsters get what that means . I will ask physio what he thinks luckily I’m going tomorrow is which is good news .
I had posterior approach ache is around top of pelvis lower waist area feels like a stitch or a strain . Going to ease up for a few days , Ice up and takes some pain meds. Hopefully will do the trick .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom