THR One woman, two hips , one week

That’s a silly thing for a physio to say.... does he even know anything! You will certainly ‘feel’ when you are ready for a meal in a restaurant & it’s not far away for you... perhaps try an informal setting firstly so you can have a main & go.... take a cushion so any chair is comfy.

I’m 13 weeks out and doing everything..... and have been for some weeks... sleep on either side, etc... I never cross my legs when sitting as Ive had DVTs
previously... but sure I could!!
Also I can bend down to pick stuff up from floor (I had posterior).

Hope your down days will soon be over.....and... Ant & Dec behave themselves..

Take care... Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Hoppy Nanny , I think he was over zealous in what he said and probably wasn’t the right therapist for me as the ones I had in hospital were excellent and encouraging .
I could not believe it especially about going out to restaurants etc I thought that would be part of the rehab process getting out and about .
Well I think when I’m ready which I feel will be sometime next week me, my cushion and some friends will have lunch somewhere .

Hi @cornishgal, I’m a bilateral too, had my op on 5th June, so we are close in time.
I have only just got out this weekend to the movies, but the ones with the recliner chairs. Saw Toy Story 4 with my family. Also had dinner at a restaurant, but took my own cushion.
It was great to get out, but then I took it really easy the next day icing & relaxing.
Sounds like your recovery has been a bit like mine, it’s a roller coaster, not a smooth upward trend.
Last week I was a bit down, because I had a lot of hip pain on the left, prior to that it was the right.
Today the right feels a bit stiff, can’t keep up!!
My Physio tells me this is normal with bilateral recovery, each leg does its own thing!!
I still am still too stiff and don’t have enough movement to even think about shaving my legs yet, am thinking its an excuse to go to the beauty parlour & also get my legs waxed & my toes painted!!
I’m also still stuck sleeping on my back, which gives me back & neck pain. Can’t wait till I can sleep on my side.
Keep up the great work, you’re doing so well for having had both hips done within a week, it’s a longer road to recovery, but at least they are all sorted now. That’s what I keep telling myself!!

Thankyou @Hippymel It is a rollercoaster ride that’s for sure really pleased you got out to the cinema and for a meal . I am hopefully soon going to go out for a meal and just take a cushion . I have marked one of my crutches with the height that I need to be over and that’s really helped when out walking ad I can tell if a bench is ok for me to sit on which doesn’t break the 90 degree rule .
Ant and Dec have been good today by Ant doesn’t like to sleep grrrrrr.

Finally a straight 3 .5 hours sleep followed by a an hour up fiddling with position mainly pillow under legs and then 2 more hours sleep that will do me Thankyou Ant for finally relaxing.
Sunny today so going to take micro walks, I’m still on crutches at the mo but feeling stronger .
Hope everyone else has a good day x

:sleep: So good to get some sleep, I remember.
It will get better...
Some fresh air and Vitamin D therapy should be great for the body and the spirit.
Be mindful.
No falling down and going boom:bignono:
Hope today is a great day :SUNsmile:

Last few nights had better sleep which has been bliss . At a bit of a status quo function wise, walking outside with crutches for a couple of 15 mins walks and icing when resting. Icing definitely helps but I will be glad when swelling finally goes down . Fellow hippies how long does it take ??? I think it’s gone down then hello my saddlebags are back ! I have cut down on pain meds taking paracetamol mornings and night for last 3 days . Sunny here in Cornwall which is lovely enjoying reading in the garden and watching Wimbledon .

Oh my, you are doing very well! :happydance:
Last few nights had better sleep which has been bliss .
:sleep: Wonderful restorative sleep! You are ahead of me on this one. I don't believe I got more than 3 hours straight until I was almost 2 months postop :sigh:
walking outside with crutches for a couple of 15 mins walks and icing when resting. Icing definitely helps but I will be glad when swelling finally goes down . Fellow hippies how long does it take ???
This is how I did it...:)
I can't remember exactly when all the swelling went down...I didn't have a lot of issues with swelling. But I stayed on ice almost any time I was resting. Ice is a great anti inflammatory and pain reliever :ice:
One month out, cabin fever and impatience are hard for me to keep at bay. You sound like you are staying patient and mindful... so good for you:thumb:
Hope today is a good day, and have a sweet weekend.:SUNsmile:

:hi:
Well...it was Lefty's big day. Happy One Month Anniversary!
It sounds like you're doing really well. Amazing actually, considering all you've been through.
I hope you have a great week as you continue on your healing journey. :walking:
@cornishgal

Thankyou @Mojo333 and @Layla
Wow can’t believe one month has gone already for left hip and the right will be this month. Really lovely weather at the mo in Uk so getting out fo a couple of walks a day. Still using crutches and my legs and back seem to be settling into a new position if that makes sense.
Beginning to get a bit inpatient I want to drive and lose these crutches and walk without them, plus these restrictions are darn annoying!
Can use them as canes inside but not outside.
Kinda feel stagnant at the moment but it will come I’m sure I know it’s early days , but I am even dreaming that I’m walking and driving !

Swelling is going down slightly around hips which is a relief as a lost over 35 pounds prior to surgery and was looking reasonably slim . So you can imagine I happy to lose saddlebags slowly .
Sleeping well at the moment once I get myself in the right position which is lower legs on pillow do my heels don’t rub and then a towel between legs to stop me crossing legs and my goodness I want to do that all the time .
  • Hope all other June sunbeams are doing well .

It does seem So Slow at times, my double hippy pal:friends:
But Oh My Stars...well worth the patient recovery!
Want these to be our forever hips, ya know.
You will get there...
Hugs and hope today is a good day:SUNsmile:

Thankyou @Mojo333 trying to take a must be patient pill each day. Woke this morning with new pains in and around my right hip scar so Ant is playing up again ! Strange as I have been relatively pain free but maybe it’s repair pain .
This recovery sure is a rollercoaster ride . Think I’ll just have a little walk today and chill with lots of ice today !

Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Here is my favorite recovery chart.
Which squiggle are you in?:heehee:

Love your avatar with your faithful recovery companion
Keep the faith... you are doing well!:friends:

Hello all , I need some advice / reassurance from fellow hipsters.
Pains around hips although new seem logical to me as probably healing pains . I had posterior approach I am walking 15 mins a day and doing some light exercises . Abductees side leg swing, calf stretch , marching on the spot raising leg , hamstring stretch mini squats . I don’t find these taxing or hard but didn’t do them yesterday just in case . Still have pains in shin today ! Grrr! Happy with level of mobility pottering around house making some meals minimal odd house hold tasks .
But what is really concerning me is my right leg I think I have shin splints . I used to get them when a ran many years ago . Been keeping me up at night and nagging me for a 3 days now .
Probably will pass but I wanted to know for reassurance have others had shin splints? Did you do anything to relieve it ? Did you find out what aggravated it ? I am icing regularly 4 times fat for 50 mins !
Right leg pre op was my better leg strange isn’t it how now my left leg is !
I probably being impatient and a worry pants at the moment just want to check it out with fellow double hippies .

Hi @cornishgal
Are you still using any assisted devices for walking? Are you limping? Are you using TEDS still?
Have you bought new shoes for walking?
Just some thoughts as shin pain can come from many different things...improper muscle loading from limp..sciatica coming from back, changed gait and shoes with old bad wear pattern.
At one month out...these exercises can certainly be the cause.
Abductees side leg swing, calf stretch , marching on the spot raising leg , hamstring stretch mini squats .
Particularly don't like the squats and they aren't necessary. Could be causing the shin pain.
Just walking and light stretches are fine these early days.
Unfortunately, it can take some time to undo the overdid.

Thanks @Mojo333 for your advice. I have been using crutches most of the time but .... confession time I have been walking around the house without them mainly because they are a faff, I have a walk like a baby with a full nappy it’s getting better . Surgeon did not prescribe TEDS had heparin injections now on aspirin . I think it might be exercises too . So I guess lesson learnt time to use crutches at all times and bin exercises . I pray I haven’t done any permanent damage and get back to where I was Have newish pull on shoes no wear on soles but might order some new ones .
What stretches to you recommend!
Hope alls well with you across the pond .

A pronounced limp could cause imbalanced muscle load. I had some travelling pains...as my gait got adjusted.
I too did solo cruising in house...so not a bad thing just not for long periods. I just did some light stretching akin to waking up in the morning moves. A FEW marches in place to fire up muscles...stretching arms to the sky and easy side to side to loosen up. There is plenty of time to tone and strengthen these muscles after more healing.
Flexing that patience muscle is the hardest:sigh:
Hope you haven't dropped the icing...it's great for inflammation
Early days my friend...stay ready does it.:friends:

Last edited:
Thankyou my friend will take your Good advice icing at this time and will work on my patience muscle it sure could do with some work . Have a great weekend and Thankyou

Good Friday morning to you!
You're doing great. Keep up the good work. :yes!: Still amazed at your courage. One week apart....no can do!
Enjoy the weekend!
@cornishgal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie