THR One woman, two hips , one week

cornishgal

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all, well it’s done one hip in this morning amazing-bye burning hip pain. Did about 8 steps with physio, the operated did feel a bitstrange but not in a bad way. Taking advice and been requesting regular analgesia. Time to phone family then Netflix and chill !! Phew

Hello all, well it’s done one hip in this morning amazing-bye burning hip pain. Did about 8 steps with physio, the operated did feel a bitstrange but not in a bad way. Taking advice and been requesting regular analgesia. Time to phone family then Netflix and chill !! Phew

Glad to hear you are doing great! I also had my left hip replacement yesterday and feel sore but good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the bright side! :welome: :yay: :happydance:
Happy to see you here. Following you'll find the Recovery Guidleines.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Wishing you comfort and sending healing hugs.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @cornishgal

Happy to hear your news and to see you on the recovery side @cornishgal! It's a wonderful feeling to wake up from surgery without the gnawing hip pain. Good to hear your on the pain meds and being well taken care of. Get plenty of rest and wishing you a peaceful night. :flwrysmile:

Hello everyone @Tarajeane and @kfenn hope your doing well we did it . Just taking analgesia feel like I have been kicked in the hip this morning got a little bit of kip muscle feels tight at the mo but going for walk with therapists soon. Hopefully I can walk it out . Thanks for all your kind words x

Been hard work today felt dizzy on standing but bit better now xx bladders gone to sleep since bladder came out this morning wonder when that will wake up ??? Keep reminding myself early days xxx

I hope they're not working you too hard. Especially given there's Round Two right around the corner.
Keep in mind the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hopefully your pain is well controlled today and you're able to get some restorative rest. :yawn: :sleep:
You're a champ! :yes!: Happy Friday :)
@cornishgal

Congratulations, cornishgal , here's to a steady and smooth recovery.....

Take it easy and be kind to yourself especially in the first 10 to 12 days....:flwrysmile:

Slept for 4 then 2 hours last night lovely bit of pain in groin this morning I think that’s getting Ona nd off the bed , I am so paranoid about restrictions and keeping my new hip happy .

Pain control now mastered too much codeine made me feel dreadful now on a smaller dose with paracetamol feel jiggles but not do fright . Like others have said walking helps ! Hope everyone else is recovering well xx

Thankyou all getting in and out of bed is a full on work out . Come on leg my brain says to leg leg is ignoring brain . Early days I know looks like I’ll be discharged today be lovely to go home .

@cornishgal
I woke up feeling better than expected! In my medicated state, I am passing some of my good fortune on to you.
I cant believe how much the swelling has gone down!!
Can you believe i spent a total of 6 hours at the surgical center?!?!
I saw the Anesthesiologist at 8:30, dont remember much sfter that, next thing i remember is its 10:30. At 12:30 they ate rolling me to the door at 12:30!
Any way, i have been fortunate so far, and want to pass it on to you

Ooops, put more of my story up on your page.

Glad that part is over @cornishgal now onto recovery.
I found a slip sheet or a thick bin bag on the bottom sheet so helped with getting in & out of bed... and for the car journey... just slide in & out.

Don’t worry about the precautions... your lovely new hip will only let you do as much as it wants...and that’s not much in the first few weeks...

Hope you get home very soon... nothing like your own comfy bed... xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay for going home!
Can get much more comfortable there!
Healing hugs @cornishgal

Thanks everyone glad to be home . Had a few hours kip last night . Had a little walk around the house a wash now lying down with ice pack on hip as it’s swollen up quite a bit . Cor blimey you get tired in a nano second . One minute you feel energised and in a heartbeat all you want to do is lie down .
How long do you use ice for 20 to 40 mins 3 or 4 times a day ?? I thought I got away with swelling but awoke today looking a bit Kardashian around that area lol.
Glad your going well @kfenn no swelling for you that’s great glad to hear your doing so well .

Also when I stand I am bent at the knee in operated side as if one leg longer than other is that normal

@cornishgal
The rest is incredible when it happens. I am with you on the energy levels, up and down. I feel like I am constantly icing some part of my body! 20-30 mins here, 20 mins there etc...
Mostly the surgical site, and the inside of my knee.
Here is where i would put in a joke about the Kardashians and Bruce Jenner. Not feeling very clever, so I'm gonna leave it up to the reader to pick one.

To rest and recovery!!!:martini:

:hi: new hippy friend.
These early days are confusing and I know I had a lot of "is this normal?" questions.
That's what makes this forum so helpful, I think.
One minute you feel energised and in a heartbeat all you want to do is lie down .
Yep, all your body's energy is being directed to healing that surgery trauma...it is draining to just get down the hall to the restroom and back.:swoon:
It gets easier.

How long do you use ice for 20 to 40 mins 3 or 4 times a day ?
I had ice on me almost continually when I was resting. No kidding..
Almost All the time...:ice:

Also when I stand I am bent at the knee in operated side as if one leg longer than other is that normal
This is a normal feeling post op.
Check out this link
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
Keep the faith, friend.
Sending healing hugs!:roseshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online