THR One week post-op

Cocoamom

Country
United States United States
I’m 59, female, overweight and had smoked cigarettes for 40+ years. Quit smoking October 12th after my first appointment. Not going to lie - the pain was so extreme that I quit cold turkey after he informed me that the policy is all orthopedic patients are required to be nicotine free 30 days (and yes, they test multiple times).

So after multiple X-rays, bone density, and a couple MRI’s I’m sitting in front of him sobbing, begging him to just amputate my leg...by now i can no longer walk across the room, hadn’t slept in 8 weeks and this god awful pain never stops from my thigh to the ankle. I’m losing my mind.

Bottom line - femur is crushed, nearly gone, the nerve had been impacted, muscle torn, fractures down my leg to the ankle, oh and yes, I need a total hip replacement - all left. Now turns out that nerve was impacting my reflexes as well and neurology was brought in, MRI checked the spine. The team all agreed: my sjogrens and having gone years being deficient in vitamin D both hugely contributed. The extent of my damage became an emergency case and was immediately brought into the OR on November 18th.

I came home the 19th. Initially only being able to lift left leg a couple inches. Getting better daily. I’ve learned a couple things about myself - I am a control freak who absolutely struggles with having to ask for help. And I’m not a good patient. Pain has been minimal and I’m taking oxy 5mg about every 13/14 hours. I’m on warfarin (actually in a study). My concern is blood clot and/or infection. PT has been in 3 times and exercise along with blood check is done. I know it’s going to take time to heal and my OS has given me a second chance...I just need to stop the pity party and realize he’s correct when he said “your hip & leg were so severe that simply walking is huge progress.”

:welome:Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery.Thank you for joining us!
Please read through the short articles in the Recovery Guidelines below. I believe you’ll find the info useful as you begin healing. Stop back often, we’d love to support you along the way.
I hope your night is a peaceful one!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Second chance at life and a new hip!

Get it elevated and iced - an hour at a time. Walk in between.

I wanted off the narcotics - Tylenol was my friend and my head was clear.

Stretch, leg slides, simple stuff - I skipped the PT.

@Cocoamom
We all have trouble letting go and asking for help during our joint replacement recoveries.
We even have an article in the Library Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help .
Reading your story, glad they were able to do your THR as soon as they recognized the extent of the damage to you hip.

The past two nights, I’ve been woken out of a sound sleep with this excruciating pain, sharp zing like - upper thigh from groin, one hand width down the thigh. So severe that it takes my breath away. I’ve desperately tried to stand as quickly as possible. Both instances have happened right around 4 am. First night I didn’t know what to do as this was unexpected and extreme - I took a pain pill. Lesson learned, it did nothing on the nerve pain. Last night I was able to get fresh ice very quickly and although it took about 20 minutes, I was able to breathe, relax and eventually get back to sleep.

My OS had described what he called a cocktail of many that was injected into my thigh at the end of surgery. I could tell my thigh was waking up the past few days. I can almost pinpoint how the nerves are going. I can feel them spread. It’s an odd sensation. Lifting of the foot is also improving.

My left ankle is still swollen. I’ve been elevating & ice. I have no pain anywhere other than that ankle. I’ve been walking a lot around the house and doing well I think. That swollen ankle is actually causing pain in bed, standing, walking. Only when I have ice on it does it feel better.

Another couple hours and I’ll head to bed for the night. Already stressing about a 4am wake up nerve call...On the positive side, gone all day with no narcotic.

Make sure you are keeping to the schedule for pain meds even if it means setting an alarm to do so. You are in the very early days of a recovery that can take 12-18 months. Keep up with the elevating and icing, things will get better! :ice: :flwrysmile:

Oh my stars, I remember the zings and zaps but mine came at unpredictable times and thankfully, mostly fleeting.
By the time I try to focus on it, it was gone or sometimes moved to a different spot.:shrug:
Lots of healing happening... So try not to worry.
Hope today is a Good Day.

I am exactly 3 weeks post-op. Last week was my first follow up. He thinks I’m doing extremely well. I’m cleared to drive and transition fully to cane at the 2 week mark. I’ve been on Tylenol twice a day. I feel like a different person.

PT comes twice a week for blood checks. Now I’m aware of the thinking regarding PT, but here in my state the PT is the one who checks the blood (I’m on warfarin) and calls results in. She’s actually been really helpful regarding my ankle which has certainly gotten stronger. One more week on warfarin and I’ll be discharged from PT.

At night I’m now sleeping so much better. Still icing from almost the waist right down my incision - also icing upper thigh and on occasion ankle. Easily getting 5/6 hours uninterrupted sleep before stiffness of the knee wakes me. Heel slides, fresh ice and I’m out again. Last night I slept on my side which was so comfy.

I’m able to do things around the house some - I do laundry, use slow cooker, get my coffee, salads at lunch, etc. Doing more and feeling better.

I did want to mention the past 24 hours I’ve had a sore upper arm/shoulder and soreness around the hip - this is all on the opposite side from my surgery. I’m using the cane, not ready to give it up, but almost feel like I’m putting so much weight on that side and wondering if this is my issue or contributing.

I did want to mention the past 24 hours I’ve had a sore upper arm/shoulder and soreness around the hip - this is all on the opposite side from my surgery. I’m using the cane, not ready to give it up, but almost feel like I’m putting so much weight on that side and wondering if this is my issue or contributing.

You’re doing great!
I do think the soreness you‘re experiencing on your non op side is due to your gait changing with your new hip and also the pressure applied in using the cane. I’m sure as you wean off the cane the discomfort will ease. One day soon, if you haven’t already, you’ll walk away from the cane without realizing, soon thereafter you’ll be walking independently. Keep up the good work and have a great end to the week. :)

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Enjoy the weekend! :wave:
@Cocoamom

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back