THR One week post op

@Jaycey thank you. Even though I’m an occupational therapist, I’ve never been in this position.
Honestly since it started draining this morning I’ve felt so much better! Haven’t taken any pain meds today, that’s how good I feel.

Great news you're feeling better!
You're being proactive and are under a doctor's care, I'm sure just a blip on the screen.
Stay in touch, we'll be here. :friends:
@juliewot

Hoping the slowing drainage is a good sign! Anxious to see surgeon tomorrow! I can’t say anything bad about him! It was quite a bit more complicated than originally expected but he’s checked on me and been completely upfront! Fingers crossed for good news!!!

Good news! Surgeon is pleased with my progress! Out of work one more month. Cleared to drive. Finally some freedom:)

Great news! Happy to read your surgeon is pleased with your progress.
Make sure you're comfortable hitting the brake easily enough before you get out on the busy roads.
Enjoy your freedom! :driver:
@juliewot

So it’s been a good week. But sleeping is an issue. Now getting night sweats...the past two nights.
Started back with PT today and all went well. They are patient and don’t push if I cannot do what they ask! Think it helps I work in the therapy works! Makes a difference when you know your therapist:).
Any advice on the night sweats?

Possibly you're pre-menopausal, given your age...:shrug:
@Josephine could this be in relation to the surgery, anesthesia, meds?

I thought about that. It could be... that’s all I need given recovering from surgery;) @Layla

I had a hard time regulating my body temperature..got hot easy...icing...got cold but I was also pre-menopausal (come to find out)
Don't know what exactly...think things are just wompy for a while..
And then there is the meds!:sigh:

I had trouble with thermal regulation after my first hip surgery and I was definitely not pre-menopausal. I think it was related to the particular pain med I was on. I had different meds after my other surgeries and I didn't have that problem with them.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

So you all have been so helpful to me and my recovery!
When does this feeling of depression go away? I keep thinking it’s getting better, but then I’m struggling again. I’m generally a happy person, but right now I’m edgy, emotional, weepy, etc.
any help would be awesome!

It will pass when you see an advancement in your recovery. It's all small steps and unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to make it happen faster. Usually you slow it down if you push it. It sounds like they did a great job lengthening your leg and all you have to do is be patient and you'll really get to enjoy the improvement.

Julie, I agree with @Eman85 that advancements in recovery help a lot with feeling better about things. One thing that has helped me is to celebrate each milestone, no matter how small. For example I am so proud of myself when I can make a simple meal for my husband and me. It makes me feel like I am contributing to the family. Another part of celebrating is reward - for example today I treated myself to lunch at my favorite Japanese restaurant after returning from an eye appointment. I was tired after doing the Dr's appointment and the lunch, but I took a nap, had coffee after, and now feel great. It really is about the small steps that turn out not to be so small :)
All the best to you in your recovery!

Hi,
What you've described is very common. I experienced waves of it myself. Personally, I found it to be fleeting but it may linger for some. View it as temporary, because it is. Recovery can get boring, frustrating, lonely. I'm wondering if you've been out yet since surgery. If not, consider a car ride with someone, possibly a lunch out somewhere close to home, at off hours when it's less busy. Occupy your mind with tv, movies, cross word puzzles, computer games to name a few. We tend to dwell on our situation less, or whatever is getting us down if we're distracted.

Following is an article on Post Op Blues from the Recovery Guidelines -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
To brighter days, sweetie, they will be coming! :SUNsmile:
@NewHip19

All temporary...:friends:Our body goes through so much, feeling uncertain is stressful and the article references above should let you know it's very common.
stop-worrying-quotes-003-550x550.jpg

This helped me alot. Hope tomorrow is a better day.:console2:

I really think I need to work on patience, lol. I’m a vey independent single woman with two kids. One still at home. Used to working 40+ hours a week. Thanks to all the positive responses!

So an update to my last post...
I’ve had good and bad days. I am trying to celebrate the little things. I actually went to the grocery store for a few items and walked! First time since in a year and a half! I was tired when I got home but it felt good.
Just trying to not dwell on the what if’s...I have no control over that ;).
Going back to work on 3/20...starting to schedule some patients which has been a helpful distraction!
This group has been amazing!

Nice update, Julie.
Happy One Month Anniversary! (a day early) You're doing well.
It's good to celebrate milestones along the way. It's funny how doing simple things like going to the grocery store can bring joy once again through a feeling of accomplishment. Enjoy the next couple weeks off work and try to continue balancing activity with rest. There is still a lot of healing going on.
A great week to you!
@juliewot

@juliewot, depression is funny ... I've had a history of depression, but thank God it's been in remission for many years now ... I did a lot of mental work to "prepare" myself for being depressed after surgery ... and still I was surprised by how frustrated I felt during my early recovery ... And then frustrated at my frustration.

A few thoughts that came to me when my mood sank ... One, the period of recovery is still a period disability ... and disability is frustrating and demoralizing. Two, in order to convince ourselves to go forward with the surgery, I think we minimize the length of recovery ... and how frustrating recovery will be ... Also, after the surgery, many of us feel better ... and we sense we're getting better ... but then our brain races ahead and wants us to feel completely better, fully recovered. Part of the mood issue is the gap between expectations and hopes on the one hand ... and day-to-day reality on the other.

I also think there is an adrenaline collapse, and I am speaking more figuratively here. We pump ourselves up for the surgery and for the early days of recovery ... and then the drudgery element of recovery sets in ... slow improvements ... one step forward, one step back ... two steps forward, one step back ... and a surprise step back (something feels bad that we didn't anticipate) ... And we're no longer in the "crisis" mode of having the surgery or being in the early days of recovery.

Frankly, I also think being really "independent" is part of the problem. That's not a criticism of you. Ideally, we'd have people baby us for two months ... bring us food ... visits ... laughs ... stories ... like all the time. Very few of us get that kind of treatment, but I think it would certainly help our moods in recovery. Just my three cents.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks