TKR One week post-op TKA

twosit

I’m not sure where this will show up, but here I am.
I am officially one week post-op from my left TKA today. Surgery was scheduled for 12 and I wasn’t wheeled in until around 2. I stayed overnight and was discharged 11am the following day. Progress is slow. I know the pain is better, but it still hurts like crazy. I have Percocet and I’ve found that now one pill is enough to dramatically reduce the pain, while a few days ago I really needed 2. Any activity at all results in strong pain.
I got an adductor canal block and I was really disappointed as I woke up in extreme pain, over much of the knee area. It seems like the adductor block only worked on the medial part of my knee. The outside and back raged.
I discussed my nausea concerns with the Anesthesiologist prior to surgery and she said she adjusted the GA to come more from IV than mask. That and the Zofran seemed to help. It was frustrating to have to be asking for the zofran all the time, rather than just getting it automatically.
I just requested a refill on my Percocet, waiting to hear back. Unfortunately, it takes days for them to respond…which really make me angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@twosit Welcome to the other side! I hope you get your prescription sorted quickly. You really need to stay ahead of the pain at this stage.

Are you icing and elevating that op leg? Ice is a natural pain killer. A 45-60 minute session several times per day will help ease the swelling that is causing pain.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Celebrate week 1 down and needing fewer pain meds.

Starsfan22

senior
Country
I hate, hate, hate it when the Dr ofc is slow. It's like they've never been in pain. Add to that I hate depending on others to do their job. I'm guessing my tax clients don't think they can do without me because, I keep them up to date and try to be quick without sacrificing correctness

dogwalker2

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @twosit - hope you have got your meds and are keeping ahead of the pain. It is really important to take them by the clock and not wait until you are in pain. I agree that ice and elevation are vital. Do as little as possible at this stage and be kind to yourself whilst you get through this first couple of weeks. It really does get better ☺

Booger

Country
Welcome twosit,
These folks are great with a wealth of knowledge. Just hang in there it does get better. If ya need to talk there’s almost alway somebody prowling around.
Rest Up and take it easy.

Booger

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
cveteca
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom