Lounge Doctor

THR One week post-op (and counting)!

upcyclist

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,

Today (2/23) I am one week post-op and have to say I'm feeling pretty good, largely because reading this forum is definitely helping me manage my expectations! I am doing everything recommended by my surgeon and the post-op PT/OT, as well as following the recovery advice offered here, which has been incredibly helpful.

I am off the narcotics (had 5mg oxy while in immediate post-op, then on tramadol up through day 3) and now taking just Tylenol. I am walking around the house for a few minutes every hour or so, and even ventured outside to the mailbox yesterday (with my gait belt on and hovering husband nearby). My body is very clear when telling me I'm overdoing it, and I'm listening, although it's hard not to. I'm resting and icing constantly and while I've gone back to work (I've been working from home for years), my coworkers know that my days may be short for awhile as I recover.

Like a few others here, I too am dealing with a few minor issues, like having to sleep on my back for at least the next 5 weeks (usually a side sleeper), a creeping headache if I don't stay properly hydrated or fueled, and continuing to keep my expectations and patience in check. But I'm taking steps to deal with them, and I'm confident they won't derail my overall recovery.

Anyway, big thanks again to everyone here for sharing your stories! It's been more helpful than you know.

Continued healing and recovery thoughts to all,
Lori

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@upcyclist Congratulations on your new hip :yes!::flwrysmile: It sure sounds like you are ding very well with your recuperation! And yup slow and steady is the way to go! And also ( sigh ) the sleep issues ... they do get better with time though it may take a while ( a few months as I recall) to be able to sleep on the new hip side.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome: Welcome to recovery and congrats on your new hip! It seems you’re doing well, taking it easy and all in stride. Following you’ll find the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines. Stop back often, we’d love to follow your journey.
Happy One Week Anniversary!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@upcyclist

JohnWilky

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well done Up , keep going with regular updates , very helpful , I ,m scheduled for Monday March 1, interesting forum user regarding sleeping on the side is that ok , I,m a side sleeper and a leg crosser to boot so pleased to hear you are defying the norm .

Good luck Up ,, and everyone else.

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
@ForumUser - thanks so much for linking your story! Sounds very similar to mine so far in terms of meds (Tylenol, aspirin, Celebrex) and mobility in the early days. I also have a Stryker implant. I will take your lessons learned to heart as well! It sounds like you had a very successful recovery and I'm so happy that you are enjoying all life has to offer again.

As far as the side sleeping, this morning I mentioned that to a friend who happens to make all kinds of pillows as part of his business, and he very generously offered to make me a custom pillow to help me maintain leg position while sleeping on my side! I think I might take him up on it.

@JohnWilky - yes, I'm a leg crosser too, but that one has been an easier habit for me to break. They did tell me I could cross my ankles when sitting, as long as my knees are apart. But not when lying down, and no crossing at the knee in any position. But at just 8 days out, the incision area doesn't like it much when that knee starts approaching the midline of my body, so it's been pretty easy to not do that.

Sorry I can't help with the knee pain question as I haven't experienced that myself. Hopefully some other readers can chime in.

In any case, wishing you a smooth, uncomplicated surgery and recovery!

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
As far as the side sleeping, this morning I mentioned that to a friend who happens to make all kinds of pillows as part of his business, and he very generously offered to make me a custom pillow to help me maintain leg position while sleeping on my side! I think I might take him up on it.
Sounds to me like an offer that can't be refused @upcyclist! Anything that helps you get sleep in the early days of recovery is fantastic!

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
Hi all - two week update here. Can't believe it's already been 14 days. I am seeing and feeling changes every day...I'm also becoming quite familiar with the sometimes small but always insistent messages from my body to take it easy and not get ahead of it in my excitement to return to normal activities.

I continue to be grateful for the guidance and advice from everyone at BoneSmart about recovery time, PT, and especially just the notion of backing off and letting my body do what it needs to. As long as I can remember that, I think my 3-week, 4-week and X-week updates will continue to be positive!

Wishing all of you good health and healing in the coming week!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:new hippy friend.
Your patient strategy is certainly the way to stay on a steady healing path.:ok:

I'm also becoming quite familiar with the sometimes small but always insistent messages from my body to take it easy and not get ahead of it in my excitement to return to normal activities.
This IS truly the key.
All Temporary was the mantra that helped me through the tough and boring bits.
Hope the rest of your week is restorative and sunny. :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
Day 17 for me today, and I actually went out by myself (well, with my cane...and mask) to meet a friend for coffee! Drove 3 miles to the coffee shop - no problems getting in and out of the car - and parked on a flat, level spot where I didn't have to traverse any uneven ground or snowy spots. I feel free!

Just had to celebrate with you all, as many of you understand the significance of the milestone. Now I'm back home with my ice pack, ready to settle in for midday nap after my big adventure. :sleep::ice:

Sunny days and restful weekends to all!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, I love it! It feels so good to get out and do “normal” again.
I hope you have a peaceful nap and a nice weekend!
Thanks for sharing that good news. :)
@upcyclist

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
Three week update here - still improving each day. Still taking aspirin, Prilosec and Celebrex, and I'm convinced one or more of them are causing some really weird dreams...not nightmares, just very strange, and quite unusual for me. A friend of mine told me to just relax and enjoy the trip but man, I'll be happy to be off of all the meds completely! :)

I'm walking more and more each day but still find that when I do one of the exercises PT gave me - the leg lift - afterward the front of the operated hip will have a dull ache, which is reminiscent of the pre-surgery pain I had so I find myself avoiding that particular move. Icing does help - which I'm doing anyway - but I figure that ache is my body's clear message to me to "back off, dummy". So I do. I know it's still super early in the process and those messages continue to remind me that healing is still happening even though it's becoming less obvious each day.

Continued thanks to everyone here for sharing their stories and advice! It's more helpful than you know. Wonderful days to all!

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
You might want to stop the leg lifts completely since they obviously aggravate your new hip @upcyclist. Hips really don't need all that PT, just walking is the best medicine for your brand new hip.

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
You might want to stop the leg lifts completely since they obviously aggravate your new hip @upcyclist. Hips really don't need all that PT, just walking is the best medicine for your brand new hip.
I do find myself wondering if I'm missing out on something by not doing them, so it really helps to have the reminder. Thank you!
@FCBayern

Eman85

supremo
Country
It's a funny thing about what we've been told and the reality of the recovery from a THR. Most will tell you that you have to do the painful PT or you won't recover correctly and all sorts of other terrible things will happen. All of us have gone through this and through the experience we found that doing nothing aside from things like ankle pumps and then walking works out fine. It takes quite a while for the soft tissue to heal enough to respond to any beneficial exercises. Until it heals any strains just seem to set it back further and lengthens the healing process. I remember the PT at the hospital bullying people into doing leg lifts and many saying you have to do clamshells and bridges.
As far as dreams go I found that once I was comfortable enough at night to sleep I no longer woke in pain from my bad hip which allowed me to sleep more soundly and dream more. I rarely slept for any long lengths pre-op usually waking from either the dull arthritis ache or the sharp bone on bone pain if I moved.

OP
OP
U

upcyclist

Country
@Eman85 - thanks for sharing! I do feel more at ease now foregoing the leg lifts. The PT did tell me NOT to do the clamshells and bridges - which sounds like good advice - but those darn leg lifts were driving me crazy! lol

And good point about the dreams! I didn't think of that. It's true that after the first week of rather restless nights post-op, I finally found a position and rhythm, and now I'm sleeping MUCH better than even pre-op, like you said. Maybe all those dreams are built up after a couple years of not really sleeping all that long or all that well. Who knew all that weirdness was rolling around in my subconscious just waiting for the chance to come out!
:loll:

Eman85

supremo
Country
Leg lifts and THR can be extremely different for everyone and in my case each hip. For some reason PT's think if you can't do a leg lift you're not going to be able to function. When they did my left I went to in hospital PT before being discharged. They had a handout sheet of exercises and they wanted everyone to do multiple reps of each in order to be released, pretty funny when you consider you're paying for this torture and imprisonment. I had no problems at all doing all of it multiple times, but watched people struggle to the point of tears and screams. When I had my right done it was the same act but this time I was one of the people that couldn't do leg lifts so I didn't do them. They didn't push the issue with me, I think they sensed not to. I also told others around me not to hurt themselves doing this foolishness.

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Miah1996
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom