Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR One week out!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
United States United States
@Titanium hipste oh you poor man! I couldn't hardly stay awake 15 minutes out of 60! Yeah, no forced walking. The hip will heal while you're groggy and sleeping. My meds put me to sleep, and there's something in the recovery guidelines in Josephine's cheery voice, saying that's a good thing. I can hear her calling us all "ducky" when she uses that voice :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Seems to me, if I don't move I don't feel any pain. When I do move we go up to 5 pain scale. Seems the 3rd or 4th day post op the pain ramps up.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Evening,
Sorry your discomfort has ramped up. Thankfully I didn’t experience the pain you mentioned, but many have mentioned increased pain on days three, for or five. However, don’t count on it because each recovery differs and it may not be your experience.

I think you can blame it on your over activity more than anything. Continue resting / icing and elevating and it should ease. Ice fo no less than 45-60 minutes, each time you ice, several times per day.

Sweet dreams tonight!
@Titanium hipste

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
One week out. So far so good. Transitioning to cane today. I stopped at 3 sessions of PT yesterday when the PT forced my left knee up beyond what I was my pain limit. That was it. My left thigh was so swollen last night...I used a lot of ice.
Thanks to the great research articles on PT, I saw the same exercises my PT was recommending that should be avoided.
I will just keep walking a little more each day and listen to my body. Thanks to all for the great information and inspiration! I'm glad I did the surgery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Titanium hipste
I stopped at three sessions also, engaged in walking as my PT and have no regrets. I hope the swelling and pain eases quickly. Ice several times per day for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice and hopefully you’ll be feeling better soon.
Happy Thursday!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Titanium hipste you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title for you.

Glad you fired PT. No need for all that and if it is painful, it's counterproductive.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
So sorry your PT was too aggressive and hurt you but happy you decided that was enough. Except for the PT’s few wake up the muscles and get the blood flowing exercises, along with short walks in hospital, my OS didn’t recommend any further PT. Even then, he said only do what I felt up to. I just slowly increased the walking and it worked out great. Looks like it will do the same for you. Blessings for continued good healing and progress.

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Thank you. I was curious as to why the PT, after the session was over, wanted me to book the remaining 7 sessions in advance--$$$$. I know my OS wants me to do PT but I think my hip will do fine with 'steady as it goes' for now.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Isn’t that the crazy thing? Depending on one’s insurance it can be hefty for the pocketbook. Mine now just has a yearly cap which is bad if you have ongoing or new issues later. Before that, there was a copay. Both my daughter and I had shoulder injuries. Of course, the OS wanted PT which I know is important in that joint but 3X a week at $60 co pay each time for 4-6 weeks?! PTs learned right away that they had one week to teach us what we needed to do so we could do it at home. Lol. You call the shots here. If you’re progressing fine without formal PT, why not? It’s always there if you feel you need it at some point. I’ve found hips definitely are different than other joints. Even when I had ongoing issues, formal PT was rarely, if ever, mentioned. Follow your instincts. You know your body best.

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Crazy, yes! Even more crazy is some of the exercises are performed on flat smooth surfaces lying down. At 63, I can't get up from a floor! You can also search the web and get complete easy to understand sessions articulated diagrams too from well respected ortho hospitals.

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Great point! I even asked him we don't have smooth surfaces to do adduction exercises. He said try using cardboard on top of your bed.

I think they make the exercises on purpose to be utilized at their location since they have all the necessities.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
AND....while I was counting out my repetitions, the PT was watching the TV not me!
This made me laugh. My PT would put me on a machine and then go across the room onto a computer only to return when the time was up to move me elsewhere. I began thinking for all I know she’s on social media catching up with friends. I Don’t Need This! :heehee:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing at one month post op? Hopefully you’re enjoying progress, feeling stronger and looking toward a brighter future with your shiny new hip.
We‘d love to hear from you when you have the time. Until then...all the best!
@Titanium hipste

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lamby121
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom