THR One week out!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:yes!:
:happydance::happydance:
Embarrassed that I came through it with very little pain.
No, not embarrassed...Proud!:yes!:
They often add some medication that helps with that initial period and with any luck, you continue to keep your pain managed well.
Let me leave you some recovery reading and good vibes for quick healing.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful news. Congratulations on your shiny new hip. Stay on top of that pain management and life will be much easier. I hope you have a restful night even though that is never easy if you are in hospital with all the noise. Don't forget to ice and elevate when you get home and even take ice in the car for the ride home.

Ava J

Country
I'm back from surgery! Embarrassed that I came through it with very little pain. Resting now!!!! Thank you all for great insights!
WHY? Nothing to be embarrassed about. Pain is a jerk. The less, the better. Also, you may just have different wear and tear, so to say. Honestly, I feel like this soreness is nothing compared to my bone-on-bone pain before the surgery, so yeah. It feels like very little pain. I'll take being a hobbling stiff frog over writhing, hissing lump any day.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to recovery! So nice to see your smiling face on the healing side. I look forward to following your journey. With any luck your pain is well managed and you’re able to rest comfortably overnight. :sleep:
@Titanium hipste

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hey, hey! Welcome to the recovery side! Glad to read that your ice packs are good friends.. they never let me down. :ice:

Your wife sounds like a good caretaker... so pleased with your updates.

TomT

Country
Congratulations on coming to the recovery side. Keep up with the ice and the guidelines they give you here and by week two you should experience a great decrease In swelling and a whole lot of mobility comes back. I'm just starting week 3 and my walks are getting longer and my leg stronger every day

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats and welcome to the healing side! Day 2 and you're sleeping like a log, I'm jealous! Sounds like you're doing well, keep up the good work!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What did you do @Titanium hipste ? All you are supposed to be doing is rest, ice, elevation, medication and repeat. Are you taking your medication around the clock, as prescribed? The trick at this stage is to stay ahead of the pain.

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Walked on the hour about 15 minutes each. Walked outside down the driveway. Now my wound site and left thigh feel bruised. Using ice packs.

I did too much.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Yup - too much, too early. Give yourself a good couple of weeks. No need for all that walking yet. That op side has been traumatised.

Limit your walking to just getting up to get a drink or something to eat and bathroom breaks for now.

:ice: is your friend.

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Yes, your right. I thought I was ready to walk more. I'm resting now.

I'm wearing plasma flow calf wraps since day 1. The glowing blue lights keep me up at night. You think I can tape over them during the night?

OP
OP
Titanium hipste

Titanium hipste

Country
Yes, my wife has been giving me my meds as instructed.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
The glowing blue lights keep me up at night. You think I can tape over them during the night?
If you are talking about the battery status light in the middle of each unit I would think you could tape something over this at night. It might just be the inflation and deflation of the units that is interrupting your sleep. But these units are very important just post op. We don't want any nasty DVT happening.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m sorry you’re suffering some pain today. Hopefully with rest and ice it eases quickly.
Not sure if you’ve made it through the Recovery Guidelines yet, my foggy brain couldn’t concentrate for a couple weeks, there is a great article that I used as a guide and it kept me out of trouble. I believe if you use it as a rough gauge it will keep you out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Check it out -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/.
Feel better soon!
@Titanium hipste

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
hopnfox
Recent bookmarks