Bilateral TKR Pain!!!

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything to my account. Since it has been almost 6 months since my MUA I was wondering if anyone has experienced a few things that have been going on with my knees. For example, sometimes when I'm walking around my thigh muscles will give out on me. This doesn't cause me to trip or anything like that but for a moment I look a little silly like I'm doing a weird dance:flabber: The only pain medicine I am taking is Naproxen and that's just when I get up. I hardly have any pain at all anymore and the weird dance move I make doesn't cause me any pain just a little embarrassed. I've been walking without a cane for a few months (and doing well). The only time I use my cane is when I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom because I may feel a little disoriented and I definitely don't want to fall. Any suggestions on how to help my thigh muscles?

This has happened to me after numerous knee surgeries when my quad wasn't back to full strength. I don't know how you feel about exercising, but I had to do a lot of leg lifts and other quad-strengthening exercises to stop the "giving out" of the knee. Within 2-3 weeks, I noticed a huge difference.

I concur. Exercising the muscles above, below and about the knee are VERY beneficial. I exercised as much as I could pre TKR an increasingly so after as the weeks passed. Including some exercises I simply do in bed (such as basic leg lifts etc.) as described online and prescribed by PTs/ docs.

Haven't got on this forum in a while and I really missed it. But I have a question. It's been a little over a year since I had my bilateral total knee replacement and I have to be on my feet a lot for my job (sometimes up to 8 hours). I just started noticing that my knees are starting to swell. Is this normal a year or so out?

@sectac
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Some of us take longer to heal, well over a year. Start with elevating your legs at the end of the day to allow the swelling to go down.
If your knees are red, hot, swollen, and painful at the end of the day, give your surgeon a call.

Hi all... has anyone had any issues with their knee replacements (pain when standing for half an hour or longer, pain when sleeping, etc.). I've had bilat knee replacements three years ago and it seems like it just keeps getting worse and worse. I've even lost some of my ROM. I have an appointment to go back to my Ortho Surgeon but she hasn't been much help in the past either. Any suggestions??

I’m sorry you’ve not had a good outcome. I would not go back to the surgeon who did your knees. It’s time for a second opinion, someone who has no association with your original surgeon. Look for a surgeon who does revisions or deals with complex joint issues. This doesn’t necessarily mean you will need a revision, but this is the best kind of surgeon to look at problem knees.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, so all your information is in one place. This benefits you, and also our staff, as we often read back through your thread before we comment.

Best wishes with your future decisions. :console2:

Thank you for your support. How would I find out if an Ortho Surgeon does revisions?

I usually google their name, and find their listing on the healthgrades website, which then gives a full description of their specialties. Or you can always call their office and ask.

Are you a decent distance from a big city? My personal opinion is that city areas are a better choice when having problems, as with a bigger population, they see more problems and have more experience fixing them. I live in little bitty Delaware, and had my surgery for a partial knee here, which I regret. I‘ve had 2 second opinions, one in the Baltimore area and one in the Philadelphia area. Not that they found anything to fix, but at least I have options if my problems get worse. Both are about an hour and a half drive from me.

If you tell us where your current surgeon is we can help you find someone else a little distance away. It could be well worth the drive. You can also PM that information to me, if you prefer.

The Noyes Knee Institute is in Cincinnati, OH. The founder, Dr. Frank Noyes, is recognized as one of the leading experts in the US for dealing with difficult knee problems.

Dr. Noyes also published a number of eBooks on Amazon dealing with different knee and other joint issues. I have the one for arthrofibrosis and it is hands down the best reference I've found describing the problem and its solutions.

If I lived in Ohio this is where I would start my search.

If you're not getting help from your original surgeon, it's time to seek out other opinions. WFD's suggestion is a good one. If you're starting cold, Jockette's Google suggestion is a good way to go. Most surgeons have information in their biographical content that will indicate if they specialize in revisions. Sometimes this can also be described with the term "adult reconstruction." These are the doctors who are going to be more likely to have seen problems like yours and be able to successfully deal with it. If you need assistance finding revision surgeons for consultations, just let me know and I'll help you.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom