Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR One Month Out and Getting Ready

Taoquest

Country
United States United States
My bilateral TKR is scheduled for June 10 at Johns Hopkins. I am in Pre Op physical therapy, and starting to prepare my home for when I return from surgery. This site has been a godsend, with sage advice for my preparation.
(Thank you ).
I had originally thought I would have my right knee done first, but this year my left started acting up, and I now have no “good” knee to stand on. I also believe I must have been compensating when I walked ( I kept wondering why people were asking me if I was alright), and was slowly easing off my walking and biking. Obviously, procrastinating the inevitable wasn’t helping. So I have kicked denial to the curb, and am determined to do the best I can (follow directions, stay on top of the pain, and apply lots of Ice).

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Here's some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

OP
OP
Taoquest

Taoquest

Country
Well, it’s 9 days to go and I have been prodded, blood drawn, given Mupriocin ointment to take up my nose, and notice that I am injecting myself daily with Lovenox for 30 days, to prevent blood clots. My 3 hour hospital orientation class is tomorrow and my COVID test and Pre-opt visit with my surgeon is next Monday. I need a white board to keep everything straight!
Of course I am happy that they are being so thorough- gives me more confidence.
I am totally in Prep-Mode: room and adjacent bathroom are ready, my Lounge Doctor is on the way, and the hospital told me I will be taking home 2 Ice Machines.

Jo Wo

Country
sounds like everything is well in hand. Hope you sail through the rest of your pre OP without a hitch.

FourCats

Country
@Taoquest sounds like you’re doing great with the prep. I actually did use a white board for three weeks prior to my surgery to keep things straight as there were meds added and some meds temporarily stopped. My surgeon sent my post-op scripts several days prior to my surgery so I was able to create a spreadsheet because it was so confusing. I live alone so there wasn’t anyone to “give” me the meds at the right time. I actually invested in a second weekly pill case so I could set up the morning and evening pills then set alarms on my iPad to remind me of the in between pills. I did find being organized definitely helped me but the three days before my surgery were still nerve wracking as I kept thinking I was forgetting something. This board was a lifesaver and sanity keeper.

eaglemom

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It sounds as though you've got everything under control. Something you might want to have on hand pre surgery are some crackers, Sprite / 7 Up, and Gatorade. You'll want to be drinking lots of water but remember to not take your medications on an empty stomach. (Unless that's what you've been told.) If you've got crackers you'll be good to take the pain medication.

OP
OP
Taoquest

Taoquest

Country
Good to know- I dread anything with codeine- makes me miserable and nauseous. My surgeon had said he could work around it with other pain medications, but I am afraid of being under medicated for the threshold pain that I know is coming. I’ll ask if I can be given anti-nausea meds with a narcotic if I need it. I bought a huge box of Captains Wafers from Costco.

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You might also want a stool softener to take daily while you are on narcotics. They tend to slow your digestive system and cause constipation. You might want to get some Miralax too in case you need something to get you going!

DJL1967

Country
Canada Canada
Good luck with your upcoming bilateral TKR's. Sound's like you are very well prepared.
I hope to have my bilateral's done very soon, just waiting on the call from the OS office.

Take care and let us know how you are doing post op.

1359Arc

Country
@Taoquest First off, best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery!!!!! I will be watching for updates As I am having bilateral TKR’s in August. Again, best wishes !

OP
OP
Taoquest

Taoquest

Country
@1359Arc Thanks! , After my Covid test and final meeting with my surgeon’s office, I have been given the green light. On Thursday, I will arrive at the hospital at 6am, with surgery at 8am (first one of the day). My sister and I are staying in a hotel 10 minutes away. I am planned to stay overnight and be discharged after I pass my mobility tests. I just picked up 5 prescriptions, and everything is set. I am excited to get this behind me, but feel a twinge of doubt that I am underestimating what I am about to go through. Fortunately, bonesmart has given me knowledge, advice, and encouragement. Thousands of people have gone through this successfully, and we are not alone. See you on the other side.

FourCats

Country
Prayers for successful surgery! One day at a time!

eaglemom

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Report back in when you feel like it. You know we'll all be waiting to hear from you.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Piratequeen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom