BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

One knee done, one to go.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Chemist, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Chemist

Chemist member

United States United States
    I decided to have the knee replacements after cortisone and lubricant injections stopped working. The ultimate decision point was when I missed out on hiking during a trip to Utah because of pain. My right knee was done Aug 2, 2017. First couple of months were fairly miserable. I kept working on recovering flexibility and endurance and enjoyed a 5 mile walk yesterday. My left knee is scheduled for May 16, 2018. I wish I would have found sites like this before my first surgery so I would have had more realistic expectations on the recovery process - I was VERY naive.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Chemist, and :welome: to BoneSmart. We're happy you found our community of joint replacement members, people who have gone through what you've gone through and will be going through again. Yes, we do aim to provide a realistic look at, and conversation about, joint replacement. It's our goal to support and help others.

As a new member, you get our pre-op reading. You've had a TKR before, so some of this may be familiar, but the links also contain lots of useful info.

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Chemist, since you have already had one knee replacement, how about starting a thread in the recovery section so we can read of your recovery? It will be helpful for us, and for you by keeping a record of your recovery for yourself!

4. mcestang

mcestang junior member

My TKR is scheduled for the 6th - right now I can't even imagine walking 5 miles - way to go!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chemist

Chemist member

Hang in there mcestang, you will get there. Good luck!

6. Chemist

Chemist member

Dear sistersinhim:

I started a thread in the recovery forum. Suggestions about what to add or questions would be appreciated

7. Chemist

Chemist member

Sigh. Every time I convince myself to postpone my LTKR it manages to remind me that it is time. It just locked up/gave out (I have a history of free floating bone chips in this knee) while I was working in the kitchen. Message received!

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, it's giving you a message. The sooner it's fixed, the better.

9. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Right?? I walked 2 miles recently, and I was HURTING. Lifelong walker, hiker, swimmer, bicyclist, so not walking is very demoralizing.

10. Chemist

Chemist member

Left TKR delayed until May 21

• Like Like x 1
  11. SusieShoes

At least it’s only a few days and you found out enough in advance you can adjust your expectations (last second is rough on the nerves). Everything is still a go!

12. Chemist

Chemist member

Howdy: Question for the forum. Any idea why women have a higher rate of TKRs (at least in the US - I found the following statistics: 3 million women and 1.7 million men are living with TKA (a Mayo Clinic study))?

13. SusieShoes

The main reason is that more women than men suffer from osteoarthritis, particularly after age 55. Medical studies of why that might be point to factors like biomechanics (women have wider hips and so there are mechanical differences that translate to the knees, and women's joints in general are more lax), hormones (women get menopause -- estrogen protects cartilage and when menopause hits, there goes the protection), and having two X chromosomes, leading to strong family inheritance of things like joint hyper-mobility. These factors predispose women to OA and knee problems.

More TKRs are performed on women because women, as a group, have worse knees. :sad:

14. Mutti3

Mutti3 senior

Very interesting! I heard that before. My husband had both knee done. I only need one knee replaced. I wonder what is up with us! Lol

15. Chemist

Chemist member

I thought it might be because as a group we tend to be cowards about going to Drs and anecdotally have a lower threshold for pain.

16. SusieShoes

Men? Cowards? I don’t believe it. I shall have to get Mr. Shoes’ opinion on that one. :whistle:

17. Mutti3

Mutti3 senior

No I don’t believe that,men are not cowards. My husband was stoic during his recovery. Me on the other hand, that is another story. Let put it this way, I talked more!

18. Chemist

Chemist member

Perhaps coward was the wrong word. I think we often times delay going to Drs. Not based on hard data. Simply from observation of my friends.

19. Mutti3

Mutti3 senior

I agree with you! Delay!

20. Chemist

Chemist member

had me last visit with the surgeon before surgery. Xrays show my knee has deteriorated. Set for presurgery physical and dental release. Just need insurance authorization and preparations will be complete. I am ready to have a second reliable knee.

I talked to my surgeon about PT. He said that PT is necessary for a good recovery but the patient needs to take charge. You need to be willing to say no. A PT session should never cause pain or set you back in your recovery. Wish I would have had this talk (plus known about this site) before my first surgery.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018