BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] One down

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by mcopt, Dec 12, 2017.

1. mcopt

mcopt senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Woke up this morning head still full of this stupid cold and chest feeling a bit rattly.
    Decided at midday better phone admissions at hospital explained how I felt really helpful nurse said she would speak to anethasist for opinion about going ahead on Thursday she got back to me within the hour and had spoken to both anethasist and surgeon they won't go ahead want me to be at least a week clear of the cold for major surgery.
    Now feel numb and deflated suppose I half expected this when I started the cold . They can't give me a date yet due to holidays and will have to go for pre op again I have gone back on anti inflammatories for the time being to try and get some relief will probably go back to work in limited capacity until Christmas .Thank you everyone for your earlier thoughts and good wishes . Oh well new year soon perhaps new start then 3rd time lucky.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

United States United States
    Oh, so sorry! The third time will be the charm! I hope it's early January so that you can start the new year right! I made my secretary stay far away from me the 2 weeks before my surgery because she came down with something and I didn't want any part of it!

Look at it this way, you really don't want to be recovering from this cold/sinus issue while also recovering from THR. I have had a mild touch of something (most likely mold allergy from all of the leaves on the ground) and the occasional cough from post nasal drainage is NOT fun and I wouldn't want to have anything more than an occasional cough!

You need lots of rest and TLC and then you'll be right as rain and ready to go.

:mcoffee:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Well, since the probable outcome of having an anaesthetic with a cold would be pneumonia, I think you can consider yourself saved! Hard to think of it that way but you have had a narrow squeak, my friend!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mcopt

mcopt senior

That was main issue we discussed I had pneumonia followed by pleurisy in 2010 and before that in 2001 certainly do not want to go through that again if I can avoid it. Chest infections seem to be my weak spot, so yeah agree it could have turned nasty !

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@mcopt I am so sorry to hear about the delay of your surgery. But as Jo says, you are avoiding a downright dangerous situation. Rest up. Get well and your day will come soon. Please keep us updated!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Horseshoe

Horseshoe graduate

Oh darn!! Better safe than sorry, I had to delay my first THR and recall how deflating it was though admit I was a bit relieved, so much stress in the run up. It's a big surgery and the immune system needs to be in fighting form, having this trial run makes it easier on you when the big day finally comes.

On the bright side you'll get to enjoy the holidays and will be more than ready to go on surgery day :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. jaydub63

jaydub63 senior

@mcopt so sorry to hear of another delay but agree with everyone else that you want to be in top form before taking on the surgery. The thing I feared most in the weeks up to my date was catching one of the many bugs I heard were going around. Be well and your date will be here again soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. MammaT

MammaT supremo

So sorry, but like everyone says, better not to take the risk.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. Susan209

Susan209 graduate

Australia Australia
    Oh, @mcopt , sorry to hear, but echo the sentiment that better safe than sorry, especially if you've previously had issues.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. BeBe

BeBe senior

@mcopt I am so sorry you had the surgery cancelled.
    It happened to me Oct 25. I was in pre-op with IV in my hand and pre-op meds given. I had been cleared TWICE by the hospitalist MD, when the anesthesiologist heard my cough he said no way.
    I had bronchitis, I am still coughing occasionally, seeing a lung doc and have to find a new surgeon as mine is retiring the end of year. And I guess it is for the best, I have not heard from his office since Nov 14.
    All of this time recuperating has led me down the "SuperPath" Were you going with that approach?
    I am truly wishing you all the best and hope your chest clears and the cold symptoms hit the road.
    Enjoy the holidays and try not to feel like you missed the prom. :dancing:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. DJJFPC

DJJFPC junior member

@mcopt so sorry to hear your surgery has been delayed but rather safe than sorry. Get some rest and recuperate from this and you will have your surgery when you are good and healthy.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Mcopt...what a rollercoaster ride...and now I'm riding with you.
    Just saw your post and was so deflated with you.
    But NO WAY do we (like I have a cold?) need pneumonia.
    The ongoing saga of MCOPTS HIP.
    Right thing to do...go into this surgery healthy as possible and we will just have a 2018 hip!
    Hope you feel better soon:friends:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Awww, I am so sorry @mcopt
    Having a rotten old cold is bad enough in itself but then to suffer this blow on top of it.....maddening.
    My heart goes out to you. Prayers you get well soon, get a new surgery date scheduled and move forward to recovery.
    Long and winding road.....so sorry :prayer:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. kmgraxy

kmgraxy senior

Sorry your surgery was delayed! Hope you recover quickly.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  15. Gretel

Gretel graduate

Australia Australia
    Oh no you poor thing :(

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  16. mcopt

mcopt senior

Hi everyone thank you for all your kind thoughts been feeling a bit numb last day or so (wish hips were !) Basically having to re-boot myself and get back into pre op mode. I am hoping it won't be too long into January but it really isn't worth taking any extra risks. Try and make the best of it now treating myself to some NSAID anti inflamatories to help things along a bit going to try and do a bit if work and enjoy time with family over Christmas. Learning to live with this sort of pain has been quite a life lesson I think I appreciate more in the way of patience and tolerance you just have to rise above it until you can hopefully be fixed let's face it there could be far worse things to suffer and there are so many people out there especially kids and teenagers who are having to face terrible health issues we really are the lucky ones . Still helps to whine a bit sometimes though ! Thanks for all the support so far .

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Your positive attitude will help se you through. I agree with you about no unnecessary risks. We learn a lot of life lessons from this whole proces and hopefully come through with not just better hips but as a better person.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I love your attitude @mcopt
    While chronic pain is no fun and feels unbearable at times it helps to
    remind ourselves that we have / had a solution. Many stand in a doctor's office and
    suffer a blow they'll never survive or recover from. That thought puts it all into perspective.
    Whining accepted! I even did this some days :bawl: frustration sets in when we're feeling chronically miserable. It steals our joy. Since I enjoy trying to find humor...your comment on how you've been "treating yourself to NSAID's" made me chuckle. Pitiful cases we are when popping NSAID's becomes our treat :heehee:
    No one gets it better than us since we've all been there.
    Wishing you comfort as you await surgery and suffer through your cold :console2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@mcopt - lots of coffee and no cross-eyed patients! I hope you sleep better this weekend. I'm glad you come out of the shadows and don't just lurk - otherwise you might end up with a Super Hippie name like Peepin' Tom! :rofsign:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hoping today is a better day.
    Praying your cold is subsiding....
    Hurry up and wait:blackcloud:
    You are going to have one of the most inspirational stories about patience.
    Fire at the hospital...really might be a blessing as you WILL get rid of that bad hip...surgery assignment delays.. stupid old respiratory issues...and that ever present hip pain.
    Know I am sending good mojo your way to have some break in your celebration and are able to enjoy the holidays.
    :tree2;

• Friendly Friendly x 4