THR One down, one to go

Redd

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All, new here!

Had my right hip replaced on 25th November. Operation was “complicated” and my hip “messy” thanks to developmental dysplasia (new discovery for me!), but went well. A slight hiccup two weeks after with a trip to A&E and a haematoma. However, my main concern now is that my walking and physio goals being really held back by the fact that my left hip needs replacing ASAP. Seeing my consultant on the 7th. Anyone have any experience of this? What “should” I be able to do? I’m doing what I can and keeping my eyes fixed on being pain free and mobile eventually... N:B I’m my own worst critic!

@Redd Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. If your left hip is causing you mega pain please don't worry about any "goals". Do what you can but get lefty done ASAP. Then you will have one recovery. No need for lots of physio now - it will just aggravate that sore hip. With dysplasia you have no "what should I be doing".

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you, JayCey. Great articles. I love the idea of “one recovery “. Hoping lefty will be done mid February. Really happy to have found this forum. Am keeping my own little hip diary, but will be great to share this journey with others who “know”!

I had my two replacements done within 2 1/2 months of each other and it did make for a single recovery. I was amazed at how well my first hip replacement responded to having carry the load with the second. I was very careful to follow the guidelines shown here to do slow and easy with hip replacements and it worked out perfectly. Your first hip should do just fine. Just avoid the ODIC (Overdid It Club)...for both the first and second. This isn’t a process that can be rushed.

Hi Redd! And Welcome to Bonesmart. You are in a tough spot. One hip is healing while the other hip is deteriorating. We have another member, @RinTinTin who just struggled through this very same scenario, he was told he needed to wait 3 months between the two surgeries. You might enjoy his recovery thread.
His first THR has healed nicely and I bet yours will too.

Our forum Nurse Director- Josephine- loves to say that HIps don't need a lot of exercise to heal.. Rin
TinTin found this out and so did ceezee.. I'm sure you will find this to be true, also.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment, I hope you get the next hip scheduled soon.

Happy One Month Anniversary....sorry it's a couple days late :blush:
Better late than never, right? Hoping you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a wonderful weekend and a blessed 2020 also!
@Redd

I think you will find a lot of support and wisdom by sharing your thoughts here on this forum. It seems like almost everything you might encounter has been experienced by one or more people and they will be able to support you as you recover.

When you are going through something, it often feels very lonely, as most folks we come in contact with haven't encountered some of these same issues in their lives. So you tend to get overwhelmed and worry. Here on the forum, people who have been through recovery, or those who are sharing your journey can tell their experiences, and it is so helpful. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Redd
Welcome to the forum where there is great advice from "those who know" :friends:
Slow and steady is the way to go and, as has been mentioned, there are many members who have had gone on to double hippydom shortly after the first.

Glad you are sharing your journey with us.

Last edited:
Hi there @Redd
As all the ladies above said... slow and steady is the way to go. I had my right THR in September and the left in early December. Both surgery went well but the recovery was slightly different. I experienced more pain, stiffness and swelling with the second one. Reading all the articles on this site and stories other members shared tremendously helped me to stick to the "slow and steady" approach to the recovery. I am lucky my PT is a bit different than many other PTs who push people through exercises. Yes, she listen to my concerns, gives my exercises but also suggest not to push it as she is confident I will have plenty of time to get stronger once everything heals properly.
Do not worry... everything is going to be okay
:snow:

Thank you @RinTinTin

The responses from everyone have been really encouraging and quite a relief really. I’ve also had a read through your thread! You have had quite a journey! So that’s encouraging too! I don’t personally know anyone who’s been through this (although a couple of friends watching me with interest and expressed an interest in the diary I’m keeping,as they have this operation waiting for them...).

So I think this lovely forum might be really invaluable to me.

I’m generally a very positive and determined person. But that can backfire sometimes as I want to do it all myself and just make progress (working again from home week three and back in the office week four) So I’m eager to get the next hip done, but it’s a daunting prospect as well - it’s a big mountain to keep climbing.

As you and others have experienced, sleep is pretty much a forgotten concept. Had a bad night last night and found myself really tired and weepy this morning. Frustrated at how much my left hip still hurts and immobilises me (who knew it wouldn’t spontaneously get better?), a few niggling worries about my wounds and swelling (main incision and some little ones from instruments) and trying to run Christmas and keep a positive face on!

So I’m trying to keep in my head the slow and steady mantra - you’re all pretty inspiring (now weepy again. Seriously ) and trying to stay focused on the future pain-free version of me!

This is truly a restorative place @Redd Sorry your other hip is giving you trouble. It is a busy time of year, so harder to do the work of letting your body heal. Hope thus continue to improve with your right hip. Naps are really helpful. Tears are very much to a part of the process. Healing takes work and some of it is isolating. Just wanted to extend a hand of friendship. Glad you joined us.

@Redd welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place! :wave:

Have you been doing any elevation and icing? Ice is one of your best friends and if you're still experiencing swelling you need to ice pretty much any chance you can, at least 45-60 minutes at a shot. You've gone back to work pretty early, normally it wouldn't be before 12 weeks and that's with a phased return. I know that everyone can't always manage that. If possible take some I've packs with you in a cooler so you can ice off and on during the day and definitely ice and elevate when you get home.

Trust me, I understand the wanting to do it all yourself, actually pretty much all of us feel that way. Patience is something we really need to learn and exercise it, lots! I know everyone gets caught up in the holiday hustle and bustle but please take some time for yourself.:friends:
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

found myself really tired and weepy this morning.

I'm sorry to read you're feeling down. :console2: Please know you're in prime time for some Post Op Blues. Thankfully only temporary, it does seem to pass quickly -

Wishing you comfort, peace, a good week and a fabulous New Year!
@Redd

Thank you @Layla, I actually did have a read through article that after I’d posted, and realised it ticked a lot of boxes. I think a lot of other life aspects are being allowed to leak through to my recovery attitude, too.

Had a therapeutic cry and took some deep breaths! Today has been marked by lots of rest, cups of tea (it’s definitely a British thing!) and Christmas chocolate (no excuse for that).

Wishing all that for you, too. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.

Hi @Elf1

I have been elevating, but not icing. So that’s a really good thought; I’ll try that.

I did kind of regret committing to going back to work so quickly, but knew I was also having time off over Christmas, so it wasn’t too bad. I think I will be more wary after surgery number two.

Already learned a lot of lessons in the last five weeks!

I kept ice on just about all day long those first couple weeks. Any time I was sitting, I had an ice pack. I took one to bed but didn’t replace it during the night. I didn’t feel I ever really had a lot of pain but I wanted to keep ahead of any that might be coming I guess and it seemed to work for me. @Elf1 ’s suggestion of taking ice packs to work is a great idea. You should give it a try.

The slow and steady route is one I, too, agree with. I started physical therapy for a short time but saw no advantage plus my OS said I didn’t need it so I stopped going and recovery worked out just fine. Right now you just need to get as much rest as you can and stay away from the ODIC completely. Once the second hip it done, then you can start with the recovery process. You will do just fine.

:ice:Hope you give the icing a real go!
Great antiinflammatory and pain reliever...and though I didn't have an inordinate amount of outward swelling...it was one of th ed best pieces of advice I got on the forum.

It really is a simultaneous physical, emotional, and mental journey...this recovery trip...but All Temporary and these are early days.
Have a tame New Years Eve...2020 holds great promise!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

Hi @Redd
When you return to work, be sure to listen to the signs your hip is giving you. Work generally increases our stress levels whether we notice it or not... And higher stress can slow down our recovery. Put yourself and your recovery first...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom