One down, one to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge Hugs Jebsw!! I am scared to death too. My first tkr is on August 30th, and I have to constantly talk myself out of the fear. And of course, mine likes to hit in the middle of night when there is no one to talk to! LOL But I am sure we both will do just fine. I have my hubby to care for me, but the getting to the PT is going to be a problem for me. I have a few who "might" be able to help out, and I agree the uncertainty is hardest. I hope all goes well for us both. Hugs again!

If getting to Pt is a problem, meaning you need transportation, call around ahead of time to different PT places. You can pick your own I assume. The one I go to offers free transportation.

Oh my goodness... A PT that offers transportation!? Unheard of. But yes, I can pick my own. I have grown used to the one I go to now, and expect I will go back there. I had forgotten that for the first seven weeks at home, there is a therapist who comes to me once a week. I loved that the first time. And that would take me to week 7.5 or 8, so I should be driving by then. I hope.

10 days to go. :shocked:

Had pre-op testing and seminar this week. The seminar was a good reminder of things. First time it sent me into a spiral of panic: what a difference experience makes, and better presenters.

Hi Jebsw!! So glad you got a co-worker to take you to/from the hospital. You'd be surprised how many people are willing and happy to assist you, if you only ask. They probably all assume you already have arrangements made. I know I'd offer to help a co-worker with meals and such, if I only knew they needed help in any way.....until then, I'd just assume they had everything they needed.

Speaking of meals...in a way to keep you busy and keep your mind off the pending surgery, maybe you can pre-cook a few casseroles and stick them in the freezer? Me and my husband both work, and we've done that, because neither of us want to cook after working all day. Hubby will put a big card on the dish, saying how long and what temp to cook the dish...it's wonderful having a home-cooked meal, without having to come home and "cook" it!

Ack, I didn't notice there were 3 more pages to read!! :) I'm so glad you're brother is going to be around for some assistance, AND the hospital is air conditioned!! I had my youngest in a German Hospital in Germany (1993)...my water had broke and they kept me 6 WEEKS with my water broken, because they didn't think my little Jake would survive if he was born that early (he was still born 8 weeks early, even after waiting the 6 weeks) Anyway, that was the most miserable time of my life, it was in JULY and the hospital had NO air-conditioning (most german houses and older establishments don't have air) I fought nightly with the staff to keep the window open in the middle of the night. (which I lost half the time). They kept the woman (four to a room, with NO curtains between beds) who had babies in the same room with woman that were having pregnancy complications yet to give birth (which was totally wrong!), so they didn't want the babies to get "chilled" in the middle of the night. I'm on a tangent now, by why in the world would put woman with pregnancy compilations, in the same room with woman with their babies? Not only did it show what you may be blessed with (I wasn't sure if my son would survive), but the babies kept us up all night, when we needed rest (not to mention the window-war!) BTW, son ended up perfect....four pounds and no real complications (for him) he's now 19 yo, 6'3" and 240lbs!

Sorry I got OT!! But the whole experience just reminded me, how happy I am that I will have a semi-private room with curtains between beds and air-conditioning!!!

Hi Scrappy tink! So glad your story of the German hospital ended with a strong son! It sounds like quite an ordeal. "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"...perhaps that's where the 'scrappy' part of your name comes from?

Please forgive me for asking an indelicate question, but something just clicked for me. I don't know why it took so long. As I read about folks in the U.S. choosing distant doctors, hospitals, etc., it finally dawned on me that that may be a big difference in healthcare from what I'm used to. Do you have to pay for the surgery, and all that goes along with this procedure? Here, it's all covered by the government, from soup to nuts, except for physio, and for that I'm lucky to have a great insurance plan through work. I looked online and it saif the average cost in the States is $40-60,000, less in other countries. Is that all out of pocket??!!

It all depends on your insurance plan. For my knee the hospital etc was covered. I paid partially for things like the walker. My employer plan has since changed & I now pay a 10 percent copay on most things up to a several hundred dollar stoploss per year. Who knows what it will be when I need my next knee done.
If you have no insurance it's all on you.
Also your insurance plan may dictate what hospital and doctors you can choose from. going out of the plan will cost you.

Wow. So basically if you're havent got insurance, you're sunk? What do people do?? ( I must sound terribly naive.)

The majority of Americans have some type of health insurance policy in place to cover major events like surgery. I know you may hear otherwise in the media....but those "uninsured" folks you hear about are in the minority. Insurance policies do vary widely, though, and the amount people must pay as "copays" can be a fairly good amount sometimes. People are usually very familiar with their own policies, as they make a choice as to what to purchase.

Even for folks without insurance there are ways to have needed medical treatment in most cases. It's just a little more difficult and can take some time. Also, you cannot just go anywhere to be treated if you have no insurance....you must go to one of the free clinics.

There are also plans available through some doctors offices in the U.S. that allow you to borrow all or part of the expense of medical procedures. Of course, one would have to qualify to get such a loan.

Speaking of meals...in a way to keep you busy and keep your mind off the pending surgery, maybe you can pre-cook a few casseroles and stick them in the freezer? Me and my husband both work, and we've done that, because neither of us want to cook after working all day. Hubby will put a big card on the dish, saying how long and what temp to cook the dish...it's wonderful having a home-cooked meal, without having to come home and "cook" it![/quote]

I just did inventory last night of the meals I had vacuumed sealed and stored in the freezer. I have 20 main dishes made and 21 servings of homemade soup. So that should help me and my husband not starve to death. My husband acts all proud that he is going to be king of the kitchen while I am on the mend. He did really well when I had hip replacement, so I am assuming he will do just as well this time.

Wow. So basically if you're havent got insurance, you're sunk? What do people do?? ( I must sound terribly naive.)

We have insurance, but at our age it is expensive. For my husband and I it costs us over $1400 a month, then we still have a $10,000 deductible. So I am hoping that my OS will give me permission to have a couple other things tended to after my surgery as long as I will have my deductible met.

Luckily for me my insurance will cover it all including the rehab center. All I will pay out of pocket is $250 for a co-pay.

Well, it's a verrrry different system indeed. Thanks for starting my education on this.

There are also plans available through some doctors offices in the U.S. that allow you to borrow all or part of the expense of medical procedures. Of course, one would have to qualify to get such a loan.

GE Capital has a health care credit card that can be used for any medical procedure. It must be accepted by your doctor, but if it is you may be able to pay for your costs over 24 months at no interest. Here is a link to the company website and you'd need to see if it is an option with your doctors.

Four days. I'm alternating between serenity and stomach flips. Flips are currently winning. I'm feeling weepy :boohoo: and wimpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88