TKR One down...one to go (maybe)!

I see you had a lateral release this past summer. How has that recovery gone for you?

Slow recovery, still pain sitting and standing, but less pain with the new patella button. Thanks for asking. Love the new pic, Jockette!

Well, revision of patella and lateral release is done. OS said he fine tuned some other things while in there also.
I read back through your thread to refresh my memory of all you’ve been through. What is a patella revision, I’m not familiar with that.

Jockette, at the original TK R surgery, the OS was not able to put a button on the patella because he said it was so fragile. Because of that, I was having a lot of pain sitting and standing with the patella rubbing against the TKR. At the revision, he added a smaller size button on the patella and did a lateral release to keep the patella tracking properly. I'm not pain free but it is much better.

I also had a lateral release done with my partial.

Do you have specific pain/discomfort at the approximate site where the lateral release was done? I don’t know exactly where they do it, but most of my discomfort is on the lower lateral side of my knee, so that is my guess where he did it. It is still very uncomfortable at 21 months post op. :blackcloud:

As a matter of fact, the area of the lateral release is still numb. it was also numb after the initial TKR. My OS here in FL says that is not unusual. I do have pain on occasion in the area that you're describing but I always thought that that was the area of the cutting. This just never ends...:tiredwheel:

Update....I am finally feeling that everything is not all about my knee!!! Don't get me wrong...I still have stiffness at times and still not pain free but it's not a constant in my life as it has been in the past. Whatever I'm doing, which is nothing, is working and I'm thankful! :egypdance:

Been to see my OS in July and xrays show that everything is fine with my knee replacement. Lately, though, I've been having some burning sensation in that knee, and my other knee which has not had surgery yet. Any suggestions as to what the burning sensation could be? I was feeling so good because I thought I was gonna have a "non-issue" summer!!!

Is you burning constant or off and on? If it's off and on, it's probably what we call zingers. The nerve endings are healing and reattaching causing a quick, hard pain. If it's constant it's probably your scar being extra sensitive. I had that and it drove me crazy for about 2-3 weeks. Even the covers hurt. My PA suggested to rub the knee gently with a rough towel. It hurt, but eventually it didn't!

Thanks for responding, sisters, but it's been over a year since my last surgery so I'm not so sure it's my scar. Could it still be nerve endings after all this time? I'm thinking it may be inflammation but not sure why...especially because it's in both knees, one that do have surgery. I'm perplexed!!

I do occasionally have very mild zingers, even at my long time out. So, yours could be that, but not in both knees. I'd make an appointment with my doctor if I were you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back